question for ya if youre self employed

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
need an on line job making $500 a month - any suggestions?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
everysurfr said:
I used to think it was all judged on the quality of your work. That is a minor part. Then i learned it is all about them perceiving you as a friend.

If I try to sell the quality, I get a yawn.

If I try to sell price, I get cheapskates.

If I forget all about the work, pet the clients dog, listen to their fishing stories. Listen to widows talk about their ex husband and kids, I'm golden.

But the referrals and 5 star reviews don't hurt. You still have to provide the service.

Any paid advertising just brings out the cheapskates.
Relationships are king.

Your posts remind me of a few other anecdotes I've heard:

-If you talk about price, you've already lost. Sell what makes you different. "Niche Down" https://www.amazon.com/Niche-Down-Become-Legendary-Different-ebook/dp/B07FLKJJQQ

-There are 3 criteria people look for when hiring for a job: Whether you do quality work, are you likable, and do you finish on time. Having all 3 qualities is obviously the best. Most customers will tolerate you only having 2/3, but few will deal with you if only have 1 of 3. (Can't recall who told me that).

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hmmm, number one thing that maximized growth? Automation. I've automated nearly 75% of my business. It's allowed me to scale up, only employ myself and my wife and focus on growing my business through marketing. I've automated everything from invoicing to monthly reports to shipping to follow up emails and drip campaigns. There are endless automated tools currently available, some are even free.

Truth said:
need an on line job making $500 a month - any suggestions?
Craigslist writing section, look within 500 mile radius. Somebody is probably looking for a blogger for SEO or for page content. Write.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
everysurfr said:
manbearpig said:
everysurfr said:
I used to think it was all judged on the quality of your work. That is a minor part. Then i learned it is all about them perceiving you as a friend.

If I try to sell the quality, I get a yawn.

If I try to sell price, I get cheapskates.

If I forget all about the work, pet the clients dog, listen to their fishing stories. Listen to widows talk about their ex husband and kids, I'm golden.

But the referrals and 5 star reviews don't hurt. You still have to provide the service.

Any paid advertising just brings out the cheapskates.
Are you working solely on referrals and forgoing paid advertising? Did you start that way or worked toward it? I think I’ve gathered you’re a contractor, as am I. And despite being in different fields of trades (I think) I pay pretty close attention to what you post in regards to your work. You seem to have put together a pretty good gig for yourself. I’m likely going to go out on my own in a few years, mostly using current job to pay for expensive certifications and training in aspects I have done less of. The referrals deal seems like it could be pretty good if you do it right.
I did a touch of Google advertising. It was a 50/50 mix of good people looking for something, and 50% people just shopping or asking you a bunch of questions so they can hire Mr. Doof's contractor to do it cheaper, and tell him how to do it.

I've gotten into a specialty of bolting old houses to their foundations. I'm sort of the only guy in town willing to play crawl space rat, mixed with the knowledge of how to do it. Referrals are mandatory. You MUST treat every client like they are your only one, and your their best friend. I spent an hour today with a client telling my about his dying wife's disease. He really just needed a shoulder to lean on for a bit. Not only did I work on the guys house like it was my own, but I made a guys life just a bit less lonely.

That is the best secret I've learned over 30 years in the business.
Solid advice. I’ve been focusing on specialty work in my field as well as being one of a few with an actual education in it to back the experience of being in the trade since high school.

Thanks man, much appreciated.

Reactions: Ifallalot

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
looking my clients straight in the eye while eating a banana has gotten me really far.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
As a painting contractor, all of my work comes from referals or returning customers. I've created a great rapor with my local supply chain which refers me daily. I've strived in my field by being honest, done quality work on schedule, and at a reasonable price. I'm not the cheapest, nor the most expensive at what I do. I will always try something once, if it is worth it. There's a lot of competition, but when I drive down the street I say, 'there's a house, theres a house, there's a house'. At this time I am booked solid 2 months out, and have been the last 1.5 years. I've never advertised, don't have a FB, insta page, or a website, (which I will do at some point) I really need to hire more help, cause the estimates/work just keps coming! However, hiring more guys doesn't always translate to making more $$. Kinda at a crossroad. Finally, it is really nice when we've transformed someones property in a way they are really happy with, and then I GET PAID!!!!

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
1) Do good work, be aware of clients needs and know where the boundaries are and how far you can push them.

2) Word of mouth

I've never got a job by calling people or networking, it's tedious and I suck at it.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my friend is building her business via Yelp adverts

I was surprised by this

I'm sure it's service/product dependent, though

thrillkicker

Nep status
Mar 16, 2009
Well, I've been self-employed for 25 years and made many friends in the process.

I've never got a job by cold calling people.

When you're good at what you do, you don't have to suck dick to get work. It just happens.
But what if your only real paying skill is sucking dicks? (I am assuming being an argumentative know-it-all asshole is just your hobby.)

• Haha
Reactions: FecalFace