Question for the gun toting constitutionalists

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
When are you going to stand up and defend the constitution by raising arms against those that are infringing upon the "god-given" constitutional right to a free press?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Are you referring to Trump not calling on a political commentator from CNN during a press briefing?

Wheelhouse

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 13, 2013
legal gun owners possess guns for defensive purposes and hunting.

The police are sworn to protect the constitution

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I'm not naming names. You can decide who's waging a war on the free press. I'm merely pointing out how many of us selectively choose which parts of the constitution matter and which don't. Many of those here beating the 2A drum are falling for all the "Fake News" "Enemy of the People" nonsense.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Wheelhouse said:

So guns aren't about standing up to tyranny? The founding fathers made it a constitutional amendment just so you can protect yourself from home invaders and hunt turkey? :socrazy:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
frvcvs said:
I'm not naming names. You can decide who's waging a war on the free press. I'm merely pointing out how many of us selectively choose which parts of the constitution matter and which don't. Many of those here beating the 2A drum are falling for all the "Fake News" "Enemy of the People" nonsense.
don't forget the part about censoring people on the internet or doxing them so you can harass them for sht talking.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
GDaddy said:
frvcvs said:
don't forget the part about censoring people on the internet or doxing them so you can harass them for sht talking.
I'm not claiming to be above it, thus my choice of the word "us".

I guess my greater point is that no amendment is sacred and the constitution itself is amendable. Yet it only seems like gun nuts are the ones that are selectively making their amendment of choice sacred often referring to it as "god given" as if god has anything to do with guns or the constitution.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GDaddy said:
frvcvs said:
Internet's not a public space.

And nothing in the constitution makes speech free from ramifications. That people think they're anon, and will forever remain anon, on the interweb doesn't make it so.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I consider "waging war" on speech, which covers the press, would come in the form of government action against speech, such as siccing the IRS on political groups engaging in speech (which actually happened). Or siccing the FCC on SNL.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Don't forget that they favor the indefinite detention of illegals even if they've committed no crime. 4th Amendment what?

As always, there are no limitless rights under the Constitution - Scalia even said as much. So the question isn't "some" infringement, it's how much. Obviously, guns are more important than other rights to many.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
tHe rAt said:
So the attack on the "freedom of speech" is Trump sh!t-talking about the press?
Calling the press "the enemy of the people" is not an attack? Know who else said this? The Nazis, Mao and Stalin.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
StuAzole said:
GDaddy said:
frvcvs said:
Internet's not a public space.

And nothing in the constitution makes speech free from ramifications. That people think they're anon, and will forever remain anon, on the interweb doesn't make it so.
I think the argument is that the internet has become part of the public square, just like radio and TV. Google and Facebook "transmit" on the internet in the same way the radio and TV outlets transmit on the airwaves. For which there would be terms and conditions associated therein.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
GDaddy said:
I consider "waging war" on speech, which covers the press, would come in the form of government action against speech, such as siccing the IRS on political groups engaging in speech (which actually happened). Or siccing the FCC on SNL.
So you don't think there is an open war being waged upon the free press in this country?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GDaddy said:
No, it actually didn't.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/10/debunked-irs-scandal-shows-theres-no-sane-wing-of-the-gop.html

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
And yet, the IRS acknowledged and apologized for it

https://www.npr.org/2017/10/27/560308997/irs-apologizes-for-aggressive-scrutiny-of-conservative-groups

Wheelhouse

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 13, 2013
frvcvs said:
Wheelhouse said:

So guns aren't about standing up to tyranny? The founding fathers made it a constitutional amendment just so you can protect yourself from home invaders and hunt turkey? :socrazy:

this is defense

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GDaddy said:

https://www.npr.org/2017/10/27/560308997/irs-apologizes-for-aggressive-scrutiny-of-conservative-groups
So did Obama.

You didn't read the article.

They apologized for using harsh tactics on similar groups across the political spectrum. There was never any conservative targeting as you are suggesting.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
GDaddy said:

What about this?

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-me-border-officials-list-20190307-story.html

What about this?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/11/08/white-house-suspends-press-pass-cnns-jim-acosta-after-testy-exchange-with-trump/?utm_term=.b308730143ce