Question for the Christians

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
The house does not want, or need your fire hose. Your fire hose (among other things) is a form of power.
Sometimes the house needs the fire hose
number 1 cause of bankruptcy is medical expense
thats specific to usa

weve got huge unemployment
and health insurance tied to employment
or expensive health insurance options for the unemployed, who may not be able to afford it

the the team that the Christians are on want it this way?
it doesn’t make sense to me

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What the fuckk? The left wants universal healthcare. We want the money that we pump into our government to go to programs and policies that benefit us and don't serve to worsen the wealth disparities that are destroying our great nation.
I'm talking about the extremes on both sides that are going to capsize the canoe that most Americans are earnestly paddling along daily.

Left wing crazy:

This is repost but it's insanely prescient.

Right wing crazy:

I think the right is crazier but the left is giving them a run for their money.

That the dems are running Biden against trump is MADNESS!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys arguing about what Christians believe/should believe have read even a short part of the Bible like the gospel of Mark?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
interesting. do you think that’s how the team generally feels, and a reason to oppose some sort of health care safety net?
It seems like There’s pretty broad support for some sore of safety net with respect to healthcare costs and availability
i hope the fear of providing more doesn’t keep us from providing that there’s pretty broad support for
There's broad support for "free". I doubt there's broad support for what it would actually cost vs what they'd actually get. That is, within the U.S. and starting from where we are right now in 2020. People might think they can have the best of both, but IRL it's far more likely to end up being the worst of both.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Having already taught the people how to fish it's on them to use that gift to take care of themselves.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
There's broad support for "free". I doubt there's broad support for what it would actually cost vs what they'd actually get. That is, within the U.S. and starting from where we are right now in 2020. People might think they can have the best of both, but IRL it's far more likely to end up being the worst of both.

Turn that same lens on corporate tax breaks, bailouts, and subsidies.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Having already taught the people how to fish it's on them to use that gift to take care of themselves.
What percent of the country is a job loss and medical issue away from financial distress?
or what percent are at risk of losing their job and insurance if they have a medical issue
Or what percent have a decent medical insurance plan until they have a real medical issue where they hit their limits and leads to financial ruin
i don’t have the answer, but it sucks to be in that vulnerable group

i don’t know what teach a man to fish means with respect to catastrophic medical issues

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
If you think health care is a human right instead of a service then cost is no object. If you think of health care as a service akin to car insurance or homeowner's insurance or professional liability insurance then cost is a consideration.

If a $20k car generates a insurance premium of $xxx and everyone who owns such a car pays that rate then that's fair. Making some people pay more than others for that coverage is inherently unfair.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
That the dems are running Biden against trump is MADNESS!
Wouldn't almost everyone be happier if it was Tulsi Gabbard vs Justin Amash? I mean, shoot, I'm not saying that either of those are perfect candidates, and maybe we could pick a better pair, but Joe vs Donny is like a fucking bad acid trip or something.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I was listening to Amy Klobatare talk yesterday and she sounded so reasonable and on the ball.

I guess you pick Biden for the people he picks.

I laugh that trump is framing JB as a far left liberal.

He's a slightly right republican.

Reactions: enframed

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
If you think health care is a human right instead of a service then cost is no object. If you think of health care as a service akin to car insurance or homeowner's insurance or professional liability insurance then cost is a consideration.

If a $20k car generates a insurance premium of $xxx and everyone who owns such a car pays that rate then that's fair. Making some people pay more than others for that coverage is inherently unfair.
Yeah, I don’t think car insurance or homeowners insurance are as necessary as healthcare

ive had some personal trauma related to this as a teenager that has absolutely shaped my thinking with respect to this
blaming the victim triggers the sh*t out of me
i should probably disengage in the conversation

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I know several people who choose to forego health insurance altogether, and who don't regret it. Others who run with the bare minimums and still others who really pack it on.

Universal health care schemes deprive them all of the liberty to make those choices. Sure, you can add more more, but you can't back out of services you have no need for. Women shouldn't be compelled to pay for ED drugs. Men shouldn't be compelled to pay for gyno services, etc. Healthy people shouldn't be compelled to pay for unhealthy lifestyle choices. Sober people shouldn't be compelled to pay for substance abuse choices.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I know several people who choose to forego health insurance altogether, and who don't regret it. Others who run with the bare minimums and still others who really pack it on.

Universal health care schemes deprive them all of the liberty to make those choices. Sure, you can add more more, but you can't back out of services you have no need for. Women should be compelled to pay for ED drugs. Men shouldn't be compelled to pay for gyno services, etc. Healthy people shouldn't be compelled to pay for unhealthy lifestyle choices. Sober people shouldn't be compelled to pay for substance abuse choices.
What do the no insurance people do in the event of a catastrophic injury?

Universal health care would be a reasonable response to the legacy of slavery, which we are still dealing with.

It would have a positive effect on the entire society.

You have to balance the needs of the individual and the society.

I know, that is hard.