Question for the Christians

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Same

The best teacher I ever had was a Jesuit who washed out and got married but still taught religion and history at my catholic high school.

For all the problems they have, the catholics sure have a lot more figured out than the holy roller protestants

And Mel Gibson
I had some tough nuns in elementary school but none were really abusive. I also had some nice ones. At my recent high school reunion those of us who went to that Catholic elementary school got together and it turned out that nobody was really traumatized by their Catholic upbringing and we all turned out OK.

Reactions: hal9000

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I had some tough nuns in elementary school but none were really abusive. I also had some nice ones. At my recent high school reunion those of us who went to that Catholic elementary school got together and it turned out that nobody was really traumatized by their Catholic upbringing and we all turned out OK.
Same here

And a lot of them are sending their kids to the same schools that our parents and grandparents did

I'm one of the few to break the cycle and move away

I was also impressed how well we had all held up for being 38, especially compared to what my wife's old classmates look like. I guess that's the difference between California and Michigan, even if it is where I'm from

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
the best part about going to catholic school was that the nuns often told us not to take this stuff too literally and that these stories are full of allegory and should be read more as lessons on morality and becoming a good person.

when you read the bible that way, it’s much more interesting.

also, the nuns should really be in charge of the Catholic Church, they’re the only ones who actually walk the walk.
That's what really fücks up Evangelicals. They say it is the literal word of God, and if you doubt one part, then the whole bible would fall apart. Who is the reader to challenge the perfect word of God. So they focus on the parts that they like, and just ignore another part they don't like.

The worst part is if confronted with a part they don't like, they will just counter with a verse that agrees with them. If you ask an Evangelical Christian how the rationalize inconsistencies, they throw their hands up and say, God will explain the mysteries when I get to heaven.

• Love
Reactions: hal9000

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Feel like explaining what you mean by the bolded part?
meta cognition?

Awareness that thoughts are just patterns in your brain to help you negotiate an ever-changing potentally hostile environment?

The thought is not the thing that it is trying to describe.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
meta cognition?

Awareness that thoughts are just patterns in your brain to help you negotiate an ever-changing potentally hostile environment?

The thought is not the thing that it is trying to describe.
I was thinking of the usefulness of metaphors this morning. They give us the structure to think about things that are hard to think about. The function as tools to build awareness.

But it's good to be aware that you are using a simplified structure while you are doing that thinking.

I just did it right here.

Like a bitch.
We are using a simplified structure when we are doing WHAT thinking? Metacognition is a simplified structure? Or metaphors are simplified structures?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
***QUESTION FOR THE CHRISTIANS***

Hey, do you guys pray for surf? And if you still do could you pray really hard cause is been flat for weeks.
I prayed to Joe Pesci. He went down to the Great Southern Ocean, whacked a butterfly with a baseball bat, and got those storms back on track. So, swell is coming.

• Haha
Reactions: ~rwright~

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
King David sent his General, Uriah, on a suicide mission so he could have Uriah's widow, Bathsheba, as his 8th wife, but he was coasting along on the prestige of slaying Goliath.

Donnie BooBoo gives every indication he would like to turn back the clock to a time before the covenant of salvation by Jesus. He would still have the problem of no accrued prestige.