Question for switch stance surfers

thelodge

OTF status
Jan 25, 2009
B/C of an injury I might have to switch stance if I'm going to surf, going goofy to reg. I have been surfing for 35years.

Has anyone done this to the point it was as comfortable as your normal stance? If so how long did it take you?

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Why? Backside harder on ankle (body part)? Why not build up strength again in said body part by lifting, stretching, swimming, and skateboarding? I broke my ankle real bad at 17 and wore cast 2.5 months could barely walk after. Yes I was young easier to recover but still had to work out, swim, sponge, and skate to get back to surf. In the end I worked so hard on strength found my backside surfing became stronger then my frontside which is not easy task here in 805 home of right point breaks.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
It's never felt normal to me, just less weird over time. Try switching hands for a week -- if you're right-handed try doing everything with your left. That gets the brain warmed up. Practice on your skateboard if you have good insurance, or go to the batting cage and hit baseballs switch.

thelodge

OTF status
Jan 25, 2009
Why?

Long story short... Total hip replacement ...have a common complication called Heterotopic ossification (HO). Basically, a bone that grew next to the replacement. I have a limited range of motion. 4.5 months out I feel good but the range of motion is not there. It is my right hip, I'm goofy foot. I can't pop up b/c can't get my knee under my chest. Hoping extreme stretching will help by the 6-month mark. I'm supping now just to catch waves.

I can get revision surgery in a year to remove but that comes with risks.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Adding some length and girth to whatever you're riding will make it easier.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Why?

Long story short... Total hip replacement ...have a common complication called Heterotopic ossification (HO). Basically, a bone that grew next to the replacement. I have a limited range of motion. 4.5 months out I feel good but the range of motion is not there. It is my right hip, I'm goofy foot. I can't pop up b/c can't get my knee under my chest. Hoping extreme stretching will help by the 6-month mark. I'm supping now just to catch waves.

I can get revision surgery in a year to remove but that comes with risks.
Have you watched this? Maybe the last part with them ride paipos will resonate with you

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
hiya TheLodge!
i'm right handed, + goofy too, since '76,
but i have enjoyed becomin' a regular~footer over thee last 5 years or so,
kinda fun to be a kook 'gain, + get excited over a cheater 5 , or esh, even curlin' them ol' toes of mine over the nose of my 7'6 Scott Anderson funboard, heck even doin' a floater or an off~the~lip, goin' reverse from what i've done for many yearz,
it is kinda fun to try to teach my ol' brain to do so, hahaha! go for it man ~ have fun!!!
and throw us erBB'z an up~date on how you be surfin'!
rw
:jamon:

here's a few personal surfpix, below,
they be from thee decade of 2010 ~ 2020...

Still surfin'-002.JPG
+
Still Surfin'-003.JPG
+
IMG_0160-ST~2.JPG
+

this oldie,
it'z from 1983...
railgrab bert.jpg

^^^^^
hahaha,
when i get to look @ surfpix of myself,
well i like to see where my bottom~turn originated,
did i set it up + carve that turn, like up above, as Solo + Jaime, 2 of thee best surfers ever, from Venice, watched,
or bee~bop it off that lip, as i did as seen in that f**kin funboard pic above!?!
hmmmm, hehehe!

i hope that you too,
have you some fun, ridin' switch~ie...
:waving:

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
just dick drag or kneeboard, there's already enough dangerous kooks in the lineup