Q-cell substitue?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Got a rail ding this morning ... I am gonna look around but not very confident that i will be able to find anyone who has Q-cell for sale. i know i can pick up Solerez but this ding/crack is on the rail and don't want to mess around. Anyone have any luck using something as a substitute in a crunch?

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
how long does it take to ship down there from the States? Have a buddy buy and ship to you internationally? If you can't get it, neither can anyone else... buy a bunch

Reactions: flyinraptr

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Got a rail ding this morning ... I am gonna look around but not very confident that i will be able to find anyone who has Q-cell for sale. i know i can pick up Solerez but this ding/crack is on the rail and don't want to mess around. Anyone have any luck using something as a substitute in a crunch?
Bezt to cut out glass around it a least 1/4" back and find some dry foam from a snapped board and gorrilla or wood glue in a chunk let dry. Then sand to rail shape clean good after sanding area around removed glass. Then glass to layers of glass allow to dry sand and then hot como coat. If no foam you can cut up glass for strength to add to resin but stay away from solerez pure crap. Better, faster, and easier to use epoxy putty for temporary ding repair.
Free ding repair book :shaka:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
how long does it take to ship down there from the States? Have a buddy buy and ship to you internationally? If you can't get it, neither can anyone else... buy a bunch
Shipping direct is a pain in the @ss .... i use typically use a service called BahiaNica - you ship something to their location in Miami and then they ship it to Nica and deal with customs. Normally - takes about 20-25 days ... i can get it sent quicker but price goes way up .... might just have to bite the bullet and order from the states if i can't find anyone selling it here. Thanks ...

Reactions: rowjimmytour

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Bezt to cut out glass around it a least 1/4" back and find some dry foam from a snapped board and gorrilla or wood glue in a chunk let dry. Then sand to rail shape clean good after sanding area around removed glass. Then glass to layers of glass allow to dry sand and then hot como coat. If no foam you can cut up glass for strength to add to resin but stay away from solerez pure crap. Better, faster, and easier to use epoxy putty for temporary ding repair.
Free ding repair book :shaka:
D@mn - that is getting creative. Yeah - i stay away from Solerez ... unless it is something very small on a non-critical part of the board.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
D@mn - that is getting creative. Yeah - i stay away from Solerez ... unless it is something very small on a non-critical part of the board.
Lighter way and stronger to fix dings as well then use qcell which can crack or brown with sun. If you order some thing from states do your self favor and score some good epoxy resin like resin research and some s glass:shaka:

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
step 1: Soak a tampon (unused, unless you’re weird or trying to color match) in resin and catalyst
step 2: insert into prepped ding hole
step 3: cut excess when gelled
steps 4: finish however you usually do
step 5: drink a beer
step 6: step back and admire your work. Then pee on it.
disclaimer: I have never done this nor do I have any idea if or how it would work. Just want someone to actually try it.

Last edited:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
step 1: Soak a tampon (unused) in resin and catalyst
step 2: insert into prepped ding hole
step 3: cut excess when gelled
steps 4: finish however you usually do
step 5: drink a beer
step 6: step back and admire your work. Then pee on it.
disclaimer: I have never done this nor do I have any idea if or how it would work. Just want someone to actually try it.
That's even more creative .... but i don't like the idea of peeing on my board .... have to pass! LOL

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Being proactive .... i found Q-cell on Amazon ..... looking at the Ding All .... claims to be high quality resin ..... yeah or nay?

View attachment 131009
I would buy epoxy by the pint a least which you can use on pu/ and eps etc and glass from shop. The kit is fine and cute for trip but you live South of border. You can always score sand paper at a hardware store but may want to get digital scale.