Pyzel

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That makes sense that it was designed to be a "grovel" board for Hawaii.
I had the same experience when I demo'ed an AstroPop in CF from JT (Dark Arts). Pyzel describes it as a groveler based off his Astro fish, but it could've been more of a decent wave DD quad for me. I kept wishing it was thicker and fishier for the small waves we had that week I surfed it. When I brought it back, he said yeah, maybe it's a groveler for JJF or Nathan, but not for us mere mortals. I could see it being a fun board in 3-5' surf, but not what I was looking for right now.

Reactions: Aruka

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Has anyone actually ridden a Gremlin or Astro Pop?

The swallow tail Gremlin looks pretty sweet.
Yes, it's one of my all-time favourites. I ride it as a quad with Matt Biolos FCS2 fins. I love the fling as well, you can't go wrong with either, I just found that the Gremlin has the same low end, but higher high end in wave range.

Reactions: Aruka and SharkBoy

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
The feedback around the Gremlin not groveling all the way makes sense to me. I think people also had the same feeling with the Phantom - thinking it was a full step down when in fact it was really more of an everyday hpsb shape. All these boards probably would be great small wave boards for Hawaii, but for CA, even NorCal in some cases, they just don't have enough bottom end.

In the past, I've kind of stuck with Lost for low-end range boards even though I've started riding a lot of Pyzels. I feel like he has them dialed with all the testing in the soft SoCal waves.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The feedback around grovels but not all the way makes sense to me. I think people also had the same feeling with the Phantom - thinking it was a full step down when in fact it was really more of an everyday hpsb shape. All these boards probably would be great small wave boards for Hawaii, but for CA, even NorCal in some cases, they just don't have enough bottom end.

In the past, I've kind of stuck with Lost for low-end range boards even though I've started riding a lot of Pyzels. I feel like he has them dialed with all the testing in the soft SoCal waves.
Couldn't agree more. I'm a huge fan of Pyzel shapes for decent to good waves. Phantom, Shadow, Ghost and Padillac have all been solidly good to great for me. I did struggle with the Phantom at first, expecting it to grovel better than it did. For smaller, weaker waves I've always felt like Stamps had something special going on where his boards had this extra spark in small, crap surf which makes sense since his testing ground is HB. I feel similarly about the Mayhem PJ in carbon wrap. It get's up and going really easily and carries speed through flat sections really well while still being very turny and easy to throw around.

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
ivans last air...... !

wif an i like our 5'5 gremlins, seems better as a point or reef wave bort , quads seem to go well . rastas keep it loosey

Reactions: Makoman

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Love the ghost and phantom. Gremlin was ok but didn't quite click with it. Not a groveler IMO. A lot of overlap with the phantom - but I find the phantom a lot more versatile and had a lot more drive. Tried various fins, both tri and quad. Some fun sessions but eventually moved on. Do agree it might be a nice a point break board for small-med days (but that's way too limited for me).

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Saw clips of this session on the rest of the crews YouTube channels. But looks like John sandbagged his best turns for his own clip. His surfing is looking sharp.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Ripping. JJF certainly the contender helped most by a long break, giving him a chance to fully recover and get back to form for whenever the contests eventually resume and Olympics next summer. Plus it's just fun to get to see him free surf more. Their crew looks like they have a good time and make the pool look as fun as I've seen it. Ah, to be young again!

Last edited: