Pyzel Highline

Jack-the-Ripper

OTF status
Feb 10, 2023
What is the feedback on this board. I heard somewhere it was designed for Japanese waves for the Olympics by toning down the Radius.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I wonder how much more HP it is than the Pyz2. Much more demanding, or just a different feel?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Surely there's some more info/opinions on this?

I often tell myself I'll never ride a proper shorty again, and then I see the Highline. Would love to give one a go.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I haven't ridden one but I was able to give one a thorough fondling this winter. It was way too small for me which I think can influence how a board feels underarm so, just a bit of a disclaimer there. It seemed like a fairly standard shortboard. Pretty narrow nose and tail, not a bunch of extra foam forward. Somewhat svelt Pyzel rails. The rocker didn't seem extreme and appeared to be somewhat frontloaded with the tail curve being more on the lowish side. Overall it looked like something I would probably get on with, being kind of a backfooted surfer.

I will say the guy who was riding it was looking noticeably better on it than the CI Happy he was on last year. The waves were soft but ripable point waves, something akin to Lower Trestles. It looked like he was able to make sections and carry speed well.

If I was going to order one I would probably err on the longer side.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Yep, nothing extreme on that board, jkb.

I'm well aware that the Highline will feel different from a P2, just wondering how much more work it is, and whether it paddles like a grand piano with an anchor attached.

Reactions: jkb

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I had a stock 5'10 (head height) 26.9l @147lbs plus full winter rubber, was a hair higher volume than my old phantom, paddled really well for a hpsb, good wave catcher, liked it most in head and under, could get it going in waist high if needed, rocker felt super drivey to me and was easier on me than the phantom that needed a bit more shape in the wave to get the best out of it (less hind leg required),
Grom has had 5 of them and loved them all,

If I got another I'd go narrower than stock for a bit more control when the waves sized up.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Yep, nothing extreme on that board, jkb.

I'm well aware that the Highline will feel different from a P2, just wondering how much more work it is, and whether it paddles like a grand piano with an anchor attached.
Definitely not extreme by any means.
And all the pyzels i've tried have paddled very well. I say give one a go. We are all just enablers here :)

Reactions: sozzle
May 9, 2018
I absolutely love mine, been surfing it for two years now. Its definitely more of a small wave board in my opinion, its super quick and sits a lot higher in the water than all the other pyzels I own/have owned, yet still has that beautiful smooth arc that pyzel is so well known for. (Amp, Pinky, Bastard, Slab 2.0, Sure thing, Shadow, Radius, ghost, tank)

Surf it from 2-5ft in flat to curvy waves and it eats it up. It honestly feels like a Californian board rather than a Hawaiian style board, its super crisp and is super easy to go top to bottom in less than perfect waves.

The only times I hop off it is either when there is a half decent swell period at the 5ft+ mark or so (12sec+ NZ standard) or when it gets extra curvy/hollow and then the radius is a much better board. I have also put another mate onto it, he used to ride DNA's and he believes its far superior for that everyday wave.

Its an underground golden child that flys under the radar but makes you love feeling like a youthful ripper without the harsh paddling or finesse needed to make it work.

If you are surfing it up to that 5ftish mark fairly often I highly recommend a nice rounded thumb tail, It made my highline magic

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I absolutely love mine, been surfing it for two years now. Its definitely more of a small wave board in my opinion, its super quick and sits a lot higher in the water than all the other pyzels I own/have owned, yet still has that beautiful smooth arc that pyzel is so well known for. (Amp, Pinky, Bastard, Slab 2.0, Sure thing, Shadow, Radius, ghost, tank)

Surf it from 2-5ft in flat to curvy waves and it eats it up. It honestly feels like a Californian board rather than a Hawaiian style board, its super crisp and is super easy to go top to bottom in less than perfect waves.

The only times I hop off it is either when there is a half decent swell period at the 5ft+ mark or so (12sec+ NZ standard) or when it gets extra curvy/hollow and then the radius is a much better board. I have also put another mate onto it, he used to ride DNA's and he believes its far superior for that everyday wave.

Its an underground golden child that flys under the radar but makes you love feeling like a youthful ripper without the harsh paddling or finesse needed to make it work.

If you are surfing it up to that 5ftish mark fairly often I highly recommend a nice rounded thumb tail, It made my highline magic
Killer info. Yet, I really need this board contrasted with Pyzalien 2...

May 9, 2018
I can compare against an OG Pyzalian rounded square for you. The rails on the highline are a little more knifey, the og pyzaline had quite a round rail at the front half which meant it never felt boggy and made for super easy smooth carves. The Highline has a bit more spark, when you push hard it pushes back which translates to a drivier feel than the pyzalien. The downside to that is that in bigger surf that isnt perfect it feels the chop and chatter more than the Pyzalien, I think thats why the pyzalien always worked so well in all conditions and would be a better board if you want to chuck it in juice every now and then. Correct me if i am wrong, but my understanding is the pyzallien 2 has a slightly more pinched rail than the OG so maybe it would sit somewhere in between the two. Either way you go, id say you would have a good time.