Pyzel Ghost?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
sounds reasonable. DA feels very different from PU/PE.
why the f-ck haven't you tried varial cabrón yet?? they're practically down the road from you too
Probably going to order a Disorder in that build as soon as the one I have gets destroyed. Given the absolute blast I had on it a couple days ago that might be soon…

• Love
Reactions: jkb

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
It could be due to my ghost being a dark arts build…

I also only run it as a quad.

AO needs a real wave….
What quads do you run on the ghost? What's the AO?
Whats it like with the rasta quad compared to the jjf techflex?
I'm with Duffy. Running it with the quads makes it spicier, it turns easier on waves without that much push. So when it is not barreling and strong, i go with the rasta quads. More size and/or barreling, jjfs.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
What quads do you run on the ghost? What's the AO?

I'm with Duffy. Running it with the quads makes it spicier, it turns easier on waves without that much push. So when it is not barreling and strong, i go with the rasta quads. More size and/or barreling, jjfs.
I’ve used Dark Arts fronts with album rears, Stretch (the fiberglass ones from stretch) and I just put in True Ames quad set.

I’ve also run AMT fronts with True Ames 2.5” trailers in the quad rears.

Mee

Apr 28, 2024
My good friend hit me up the other day and asked what the deal was with these mIni Padillacs compared to a Next Step and after I tried to explain them a bit he just responded "Old man step-up?" And I thought fuck, I think that is one way to put it!!
Haha
But, to kind of answer your question of Ghost vs Mini Padi:
someone else put it pretty well down below your comment- They are kind of a less HP sort of step up that can be ridden in any sort of wave really. For me I will be riding mine at some spots I like when the surf is a bit bigger than normal here. Deep water reefs that make having a good paddling board a great advantage. Get in early, but then you are still riding a smaller, more maneuverable board.
The design is a shrunken Padillac, but I also pulled in the nose outline a bit and added extra rocker through the whole font half of the board to free it up a bit on later drops and keep it loose in the pocket.
I've been playing with these boards for a year or more and they are really fun
@Pyzelsurfboards Went into my local the other day looking for an "old man stepup" and to check out a 6'10 mini padillac they had in stock based on your description above. They also had a 6'8 ghost for comparison.

My initial feeling in my humble intermediate surfer opinion is that the amount of foam in the forward half of the board made it feel top heavy and unbalanced. It reminded me of something JJF said in the great clip the two of you released during the pandemic about trying the ghost in longer sizes and it didn't work for him.

Having said all that, my current Pyzel quiver is a 6'3 x 20.5 x 2.75 35.4L ghost that was a custom for someone else that I have had some amazing sessions on in the outer banks of north carolina. And a stock 6'1 shadow xl at 34.3L and a 6'5 x 20.25 x 2.88 37L ghost which was meant to be my next step ghost for the 8-10' days when the surf is breaking on the outer bars and I need more volume/rail line. However I think I went too short with the 6'5 Ghost and I'm now looking for a replacement. I noticed your earlier post in this thread where it looks like you're mini padillac is about 8-12" longer than your shortboard and 6+ liters more. However yours are in the 6'3 range where I feel this model has better balance. By the way I'm 5'9 x 205 and 47 years old. I'm a stocky guy from my high school and college days playing sports but getting older.

When the surf is in the above range I'm trying to get in a little early and get barreled, not toying with the surf if you know what I mean.

So... all of that to ask what model and dimensions would you recommend for me? Should I stick with the mini and just get used to the way the foam is distributed? Is there a different model you would recommend? Am I too old and should I just stay home on the couch :) ? I've asked a bunch of people at a bunch of shops these questions and everyone has a different opinion so I thought I would come straight to the source? Thank you!!

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
If you like the Ghost, but want less foam up front, maybe go Tank? Padis, and guessing Minis too, have ample forward beef.

Jon answered a question from me re longer Ghost or Mini Padi. Not sure if it was this thread of the Mini Padi one.

Reactions: Mee

Mee

Apr 28, 2024
If you like the Ghost, but want less foam up front, maybe go Tank? Padis, and guessing Minis too, have ample forward beef.

Jon answered a question from me re longer Ghost or Mini Padi. Not sure if it was this thread of the Mini Padi one.
Thank you I havent seen that model in any shops. Anyone seen the tank or next step in person that can confirm that?

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Good info in here comparing ghost to next step to tank.

IMG_0032.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mee and paunch23

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
@Pyzelsurfboards Went into my local the other day looking for an "old man stepup" and to check out a 6'10 mini padillac they had in stock based on your description above. They also had a 6'8 ghost for comparison.

My initial feeling in my humble intermediate surfer opinion is that the amount of foam in the forward half of the board made it feel top heavy and unbalanced. It reminded me of something JJF said in the great clip the two of you released during the pandemic about trying the ghost in longer sizes and it didn't work for him.

Having said all that, my current Pyzel quiver is a 6'3 x 20.5 x 2.75 35.4L ghost that was a custom for someone else that I have had some amazing sessions on in the outer banks of north carolina. And a stock 6'1 shadow xl at 34.3L and a 6'5 x 20.25 x 2.88 37L ghost which was meant to be my next step ghost for the 8-10' days when the surf is breaking on the outer bars and I need more volume/rail line. However I think I went too short with the 6'5 Ghost and I'm now looking for a replacement. I noticed your earlier post in this thread where it looks like you're mini padillac is about 8-12" longer than your shortboard and 6+ liters more. However yours are in the 6'3 range where I feel this model has better balance. By the way I'm 5'9 x 205 and 47 years old. I'm a stocky guy from my high school and college days playing sports but getting older.

When the surf is in the above range I'm trying to get in a little early and get barreled, not toying with the surf if you know what I mean.

So... all of that to ask what model and dimensions would you recommend for me? Should I stick with the mini and just get used to the way the foam is distributed? Is there a different model you would recommend? Am I too old and should I just stay home on the couch :) ? I've asked a bunch of people at a bunch of shops these questions and everyone has a different opinion so I thought I would come straight to the source? Thank you!!
Hi. With everything you say here I still think the Mini Padi is a good option. They are not much different than a Ghost as far as foam distribution goes, and they will get you in early and let you get barreled for sure.
The Next Step and Tank are the same boards, just that the stock dims on the Tank are an XL version on the Next Step .
That design has a lot of overall rocker and is our most high-performance gun, so not really what you want for what you are describing to me

Mee

Apr 28, 2024
Hi. With everything you say here I still think the Mini Padi is a good option. They are not much different than a Ghost as far as foam distribution goes, and they will get you in early and let you get barreled for sure.
The Next Step and Tank are the same boards, just that the stock dims on the Tank are an XL version on the Next Step .
That design has a lot of overall rocker and is our most high-performance gun, so not really what you want for what you are describing to me
@Pyzelsurfboards Always trust your shaper so I'm going to order a custom. What dims would you recommend for me for the mini padillac? I'd like to be around 6'7 to 6'9 and 41L. Thanks

Last edited:

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005

I have a 6'10 stock MP and it is pretty loose for how it looks (playing with fin set ups obviously gives it different personalities too. EA quads tighten it up and feel great to me in the surf you're describing).
I agree that the board took a session or two to get used to re: foam distribution, but kind of a non issue, as I gravitate towards forward volume boards.
I hear u, on the 6'10 mini padi looking a little "unbalanced" re: forward foam, but it is after all 20.75 stock, with a narrow tail, so yeah, it looks a little different , but that's kinda the point of the design i believe: shrinking a gun into a smaller platform.
However, I've thought for my next one I may go custom and get it a little narrower. I think it would not have that "look" you are referring to.
The puerto padis (same design as the mini padi I believe) I've seen recently are narrower at stock (and longer) and they don't have that "look" the 6'10 does.. they look super refined.
So just Get the 6'10 at 20.5 (which i believe is the stock width of the MP 6'8) and you won't give up much paddle power and it will feel sleeker up front.
Ps this is my amateur hour advice, def listen to pyzel, not me ;)

Last edited:

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
It's fun to be able to jump into these conversations (sometimes :) ) to see what people are wondering about.
We are in the process of building out a new website for our biz right now and I am actually going to add a Forum section to it so that we can be more connected to everyone through our own site and hopefully help out with more advice/answers, etc.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
It's fun to be able to jump into these conversations (sometimes :) ) to see what people are wondering about.
We are in the process of building out a new website for our biz right now and I am actually going to add a Forum section to it so that we can be more connected to everyone through our own site and hopefully help out with more advice/answers, etc.
My 2 cents - feel free to disregard.

Forums are dying, have been for many years. It sounds like a good idea, but your own it will never take off and basically be an empty room with an echo of sporadic posts that could just have been answered through email or a call.
People that are still on forums, will stay on the forums they're already on and won't really become active contributors to new ones. You will have people sign up and ask a question etc, but that will be pretty much it.

If you wanted to stick with the last few old cnuts on forums, then a dedicated Pyzel surf subforum on this very board probably is your best bet, and can be linked to from your new site, if there's still someone here with their hands on the wheel here at Surfer that can add a new sub.

In my humble opinion, If your aim is to build a community targeting a younger / new demographic, then Discord is the place where that happens. It would be what I would suggest if I was Mr Marketing guy at Pyzel surfboards.
I can rinse off all sorts of interesting things you can do on there, happy to talk you through it / show you some examples.

ps: I love your contributions here (as well as listening to you on other media), please keep it up :)

Last edited: