Pyzel Ghost?

Jan 11, 2022
Would you guys say the ghost gets into larger NS slopey waves early/well? I have a 6’8 blackbird, but I’ve been considering a 6’0 ghost. Just something easier to duck dive. Always reading how the ghost paddles so easy and bigger than it is. I’m 5’10 154lbs and the blackbird I can duck dive, but gets hairy sometimes lol. Would love something to get in almost as early but with a little less volume. I’ve absolutely loved all my pyzels so far and always find myself regretting other board choices.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Would you guys say the ghost gets into larger NS slopey waves early/well? I have a 6’8 blackbird, but I’ve been considering a 6’0 ghost. Just something easier to duck dive. Always reading how the ghost paddles so easy and bigger than it is. I’m 5’10 154lbs and the blackbird I can duck dive, but gets hairy sometimes lol. Would love something to get in almost as early but with a little less volume. I’ve absolutely loved all my pyzels so far and always find myself regretting other board choices.
A 6-0 Ghost won't paddle or catch waves as well as your 6-8 BB.

It will duckdive and handle late drops much better and it is definitely a good wave catcher for its size. To me it feels like it paddles/catches waves like a board a couple/few inches longer.

If you are already a Pyzel guy, a properly sized Ghost is a no brainer.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
"If you are already a Pyzel guy, a properly sized Ghost is a no brainer. " << That. Still my fav board I've had of his and the one that's been in my quiver the longest.

Reactions: Aruka and Brawwp

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Why not split difference, get a 6'2' or 6'4" Ghost

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
If you wanna get rid of that blackbird, let me know.

• Love
Reactions: Aruka

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Agree with above - you'd lose a lot of length going from 6'8 to 6'0. Ghost paddles well but that's a big jump. Ghost pro 6'2/6'4 would probably work very well for you.

Apr 25, 2015
What large, slopey NS waves are you surfing?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
6’8 blackbird and 6’2 ghost are pretty different boards

Ive never seen or held a padillac derivatives but I’d think naturally those to be more similar to what you have, or a tank or next step, etc.

Jan 11, 2022
Appreciate all the info! I’m still keeping my blackbird, was just curious how well the ghost gets into waves. Sounds like a 6’2 may be the way to go for me. My SB volume is 27-28L, but that extra foam will most likely be to my benefit in the 6’2 ghost.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Always curious how small and soft folks ride their ghosts
I mind-surf mine on the tropical surf trips I never take. Think deep barrels and JJ carves at Margarets.

Yeah, my 6’3 doesn’t connect the slower sections (at the spots I surf) well enough for me to reach for very often, even when there’s some swell. YMMV
6’8 BB has done fine in anything over CH-HH for me, often big and sloppy. Again YMMV

Last edited: