Pyzel Ghost?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
The board really opens up with smaller fins and I don't feel like I lost much drive, although I was surfing clean, overhead and hollow waves. Will try the smaller fins in some more everyday conditions to see how versatile it can be.

Reactions: oeste858
Sep 12, 2020
Hello guys, thank you for all your inputs on everything ! i have read all the pages of this thread and it taught me a lot ! i wanted to ask you what do you think the xl dimensions will change in the board except paddle power ? will there be any downsides ?

i've not seen much reports on the xl dimensions, and i am looking at the ghost because i am at a place where waves are pretty huge and steep and sometimes it can be 6 to 10 ft

The thing is, i'm not a great surfer to begin with and still learning, so i am scared the stock version will be too hard for me since it seems a lot harder to use than my board, but it seems it is also the "easiest" mini step up i can have available around me. i'm 145-150 lbs by the way, 180 cm

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
@cros , I'm not sure if it answers your question, but the Ghost XL is aimed at bigger guys who wants to pack more foam into the board, I'm not sure it's intended to be more "user friendly", if that's what you're asking?

By the sounds of it, you shouldn't worry too much about giving up performance by blowing up the dimensions though.

Reactions: cros
Sep 12, 2020
Not sure if it answers your question, but the Ghost XL is aimed at bigger guys who wants to pack more foam into the board, I'm not sure it's more "user friendly", if that's what you're asking? By the sounds of it, you shouldn't worry too much about giving up performance though.
yes that what i seem to have read you are right. my seaside is 35l, and i cannot pack something bigger than 6.0 or 6.1 max (currently wandering abroad) so i thought maybe just take the xl version to fit more volume, but i have seen that volume isnt everything. And since i am not a bigger guy, i am probably not the targeted audience, not sure it would be a wise idea to take it without more info.

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
"handle big waves much better than my current board "

I don't have a Ghost myself, yet, but It's safe to say that at least that box is ticked :)
Where are you surfing where you're getting 6-10ft waves often... on a Seaside no less ?!

• Haha
Sep 12, 2020
"handle big waves much better than my current board "

I don't have a Ghost myself, yet, but It's safe to say that at least that box is ticked :)
Where are you surfing where you're getting 6-10ft waves often... on a Seaside no less ?!
great to hear :D

From what i have read of the ghost, this seems to be a big wave machine and i have yet to see a bad report on it which is very telling :applause2:

Last edited:

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
@cros The difference between the 6'1 stock and 6'1 xl is 2 liters. Thats a lot at that length. My rule of thumb with Pyzels boards are try them at stock dims first before you do anything. So get a 6'1 stock and see how it goes (assuming thats the right length for your stepup), then if you want to tweak it order a custom. I can tell you that as these things get thicker you lose a little performance, thats the cost of the added paddle power. Also you lose bite when its steep/hollow, but you can negate that with quad fins.

Sep 12, 2020
@cros The difference between the 6'1 stock and 6'1 xl is 2 liters. Thats a lot at that length. My rule of thumb with Pyzels boards are try them at stock dims first before you do anything. So get a 6'1 stock and see how it goes (assuming thats the right length for your stepup), then if you want to tweak it order a custom. I can tell you that as these things get thicker you lose a little performance, thats the cost of the added paddle power. Also you lose bite when its steep/hollow, but you can negate that with quad fins.
Thank you ! I cannot try them unfortunately, but the description you say is actually interesting, when you mean bite, you mean like you adhere less to the hollow waves /steep drops ? Because that was my main reason to not be sure about the xl dimensioms, since i am taking it entirely for its big waves handling abilities.

Last edited:

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Well I ride a 6'5" stock so I cant truly comment on what the 6'1 is gonna do, but yeah that pretty much what I mean. Holding tight in the pocket or on a steep face as far as "bite" The extra volume and chunkier rail makes it a little different.

Sep 12, 2020
Well I ride a 6'5" stock so I cant truly comment on what the 6'1 is gonna do, but yeah that pretty much what I mean. Holding tight in the pocket or on a steep face as far as "bite" The extra volume and chunkier rail makes it a little different.
okok got it, that's actually great advice and what i was looking for as information so thank you guys !

Last edited:
Reactions: surfysurfy1476

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
145-150lbs, your definitely not an XL guy. I would avoid the XL size. If your looking for extra paddle power and a lot more confidence in the bigger stuff than I wouldn't go too short. Especially if high performance turns aren't your priority at the moment. The ghost is a completely different board than the wide chunky epoxy seaside. I'd say if you can fit it, consider going with a 6'3" pu stock version ghost. Its a good step up length for somebody our height in bigger waves. The length will help your paddling and get you in a little early on big drops so they dont feel so sketch. Its more volume than you need at your weight for sure, but it will still be lower volume than what your currently riding and something good to progress into bigger waves on. My two cents.

Sep 12, 2020
thank you, i will take that in mind. My bag is small, but i will try to see if i can fit a 6.2 at least.

Last edited: