Puerto Escondido What you havent heard

Jul 10, 2004
I am currently in Puerto Escondido and the waves are inbdeed pretty good. But what the surfing travel places dont tell you about is the vibe. The line ups are packed and the boogie boarders paddle around anyone thats not a local. There are frequent drop ins and many fights on the beach. But the main purpose of the forum is to warn Americans of Puerto. If you are American like I am the Mexicans hate you immediately. My friend was attacked on the beach by a couple of the druggy locals just because he was from USA. I came to Puerto expecting friendlyness but I have yet to meet one friendle local. The waves are good if you are willing to deal with the racist violent locals.

May 3, 2004
I will agree with some of this. I was there in April and the boogie boarders drove me nuts! especially at the point break. They would snake everything they could.

Some of the locals were cool to us but there were some jerk offs. The lifeguards were pretty cool. What a beautiful place though. Check out Barra De La Cruz if possible.

Did not see any fights but did see the locals give some gringos a hard time in the line up. I had never seen agreesive boogie boarders before I went there.

BryanLamb

Tom Curren status
Jun 30, 2004
Its not as bad as it seems. I got a hard time for a bit on my trip, but once I dropped and came back in - the vibe mellowed.

Its all about the respect you give back. If you can take a little jibe without mouthing back off - then you'll be cool. It's all about being patient.

Aloha

Bryan

carioca

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 16, 2003
East Sea
I am currently in Puerto Escondido and the waves are inbdeed pretty good. But what the surfing travel places dont tell you about is the vibe. The line ups are packed and the boogie boarders paddle around anyone thats not a local. There are frequent drop ins and many fights on the beach. But the main purpose of the forum is to warn Americans of Puerto. If you are American like I am the Mexicans hate you immediately. My friend was attacked on the beach by a couple of the druggy locals just because he was from USA. I came to Puerto expecting friendlyness but I have yet to meet one friendle local. The waves are good if you are willing to deal with the racist violent locals.
If you wanna get to heaven, you got to spend some time in hell.

You mean the locals were uglier than Santa Cruz?

cockroach

Gerry Lopez status
May 4, 2003
SoCal
Visit site
I am currently in Puerto Escondido. It is true that there are alot of local and foreign boogieboarders. It is tougher to get waves than it used to be. However, if you are the furthest guy back, most locals will let you have it.
The only problem here right now is some a-hole from Argentina that thinks he´s a local. He tried to F with me the other day. Now that he knows I have over 1000 relatives here, he stays out of my way. He almost got his ass kicked by a gringo yesterday. He was scared. He is not a real problem. But, when you come here, do not cut off the locals. That can cause you a problem of major proportions. The people here are as friendly as anywhere in the world. But if you do them wrong you may die.

Wherever you travel be nice and be respectful.