PSA. Costco baked goods

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
My wife would get muffins, danishes, croissants at Costco. Out of curiosity I checked the nutrition facts since they are not printed on the label. Never buying that stuff again, ever. Example- almond danish -saturated fat 144% RDA. o_O

Last edited:

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Good call.
That's about the worst thing possible for a pre-diabetic.
Fat by itself is one thing, but adding sugar is where it really becomes problematic.
There is no food in nature that has both sugar and fat. It's always one or the other.
Processed food is bad for us.
Now, if I could only convince my taste buds to quit asking for it.

Edit: Countdown until Autoprax chimes in with, "Breast milk is found in nature and has both sugar and fat".

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
My wife would get muffins, danishes, croissants at Costco. Out of curiosity I checked the nutrition facts since they are not printed on the label. Never buying that stuff again, ever. Example- almond danish -saturated fat 144% RDA. o_O

WOW!! shocking… pastries n other processed garbage is loaded w refined sugar etc
Thanks for the heads up!

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Good call.
Fat by itself is one thing, but adding sugar is where it really becomes problematic.
There is no food in nature that has both sugar and fat. It's always one or the other.

Edit: Countdown until Autoprax chimes in with, "Breast milk is found in nature and has both sugar and fat".
Coconut and durian

Reactions: john4surf

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I'm trying to cut out sugar completely. I'm clean (from sugar) since October and I'm pretty stocked I made it through the holidays without having any treats. After a month or so with no baked goods I mostly lost the craving. So it's not too difficult staying away from that stuff unless I walk into an ambush of freshly baked goods. The struggle now is finding sauces with little or no sugar. BBQ sauce and sweet thai chili sauce was my f-in jam.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Good call.

I forgot to log in as Autoprax but nuts have both carbs and fat in moderate amounts. That said, I agree with what you are saying in general.

This is what's funny about the "no carb" movement. In practice they indirectly cut out a lot of fat because it rules out ice cream, cookies, cinnamon rolls etc. The combo of fat and sugar is what's so palatable. Without the fat you basically have stuff like soda and jollly ranchers, which is nowhere near as palatable.

That said, I could go for a Costco cinnamon roll right now :beer:

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Im somewhat well versed in nutrition but what do these costco numbers mean? I typically eat tons of fiberous veggies like cabbage and brocolli and minimize red meats. This guy is interesting on seed oil/fats. Long watch

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
WOW!! shocking… pastries n other processed garbage is loaded w refined sugar etc
Thanks for the heads up!
I always check nutrition labels. Trans and saturated fat, sugar? Bad. Fiber, protein, vitamins? Good. Pretty simplistic, but general guidelines. The problem with Costco is there is no info given. Even with snacks and sweets there are better and worse choices. Can’t make an informed choice with no info.

ps. There used to be these cinnamon graham crackers from Trader Joe’s that had 11 grams of protein. Then they went down to 4. I checked tonight and they are now down to 2. Don’t know why they did that. Most people would never notice. I did. They used to be my secret superfood. Now they’re just a snack. Still zero fat and not too much sugar.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I always check nutrition labels. Trans and saturated fat, sugar? Bad. Fiber, protein, vitamins? Good. Pretty simplistic, but general guidelines. The problem with Costco is there is no info given. Even with snacks and sweets there are better and worse choices. Can’t make an informed choice with no info.

ps. There used to be these cinnamon graham crackers from Trader Joe’s that had 11 grams of protein. Then they went down to 4. I checked tonight and they are now down to 2. Don’t know why they did that. Most people would never notice. I did. They used to be my secret superfood. Now they’re just a snack. Still zero fat and not too much sugar.
I hear ya - with all that type of stuff you have assume the worst. It’s unhealthy and as a very occasional treat is okay. That’s the way I treat any “food” that’s processed.

Reactions: grapedrink

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
I'm trying to cut out sugar completely. I'm clean (from sugar) since October and I'm pretty stocked I made it through the holidays without having any treats. After a month or so with no baked goods I mostly lost the craving. So it's not too difficult staying away from that stuff unless I walk into an ambush of freshly baked goods. The struggle now is finding sauces with little or no sugar. BBQ sauce and sweet thai chili sauce was my f-in jam.
Carolina Treet. Good as a marinade or a sauce.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Durian
Cherimoya
Coconut
Macadamia

have both fat and sugar, to varying, but not insignificant degrees.

Oh, and Costco baked goods, especially the muffins, are nasty.

+1 for Entenmann's though. Damn. I don't buy those.

Reactions: ElOgro

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Durian
Cherimoya
Coconut
Macadamia

have both fat and sugar, to varying, but not insignificant degrees.

Oh, and Costco baked goods, especially the muffins, are nasty.

+1 for Entenmann's though. Damn. I don't buy those.
How dare you contradict me!!!!!!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I came home from surfing and my wife had just pulled those Costco ones out from the oven. I ate like 8 of them lol. They were super mid. Even more mid now that I know they have so much fat and sugar. They suck.