"pro" surfers that have done more with less

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Pros who did something else and succeeded, or kept their careers semi surf related? Jack Johnson, Michael Tomson, Conan Hayes, Lassen, etc?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
What about adding Pat O'Connell to the list?
Now president of FMX, previously wozzle and Hurley.... seems to be doing alright for himself.

Reactions: Havoc

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Good ones. What did/does Hayes do?
Conan Hays was one of the RVCA founders. I don't know if he's in now but would guess it was a way, way better venture than he ever possibly do w/ WSL conest, and seems to be one of the few surf brands not hanging on by their teeth (?)

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Conan Hays was one of the RVCA founders. I don't know if he's in now but would guess it was a way, way better venture than he ever possibly do w/ WSL conest, and seems to be one of the few surf brands not hanging on by their teeth (?)
RVCA did a good job of business lifecycle management and expanding into markets that could keep them going and growing.

Brands that did not do that well is Quicksilver, Gotcha, etc.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I really like the way Joel surfs a longboard in conditions that I can relate to. Nobody comes close to surfing a longboard as smooth as he does(except maybe his son Tosh)...That's it, nothing more, nothing less.
What do you mean? He’s not THAT good.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
What do you mean? He’s not THAT good.
Joel, is one of the best "old" longboarders around and a Donald Takayama protege. Hits up the north shore in the winter, gets his share of waves on a shortboard, so he is versatile as well. His Vans sponsored "duct tape" longboard contests are notable at Huntington Beach with international travels (Japan and Australia) and going on 10 years. Joel has made coin by riding a single fin and planting his Toes on the Nose of a longboard. :shrug:

Last edited:

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Uncle Peter, everything you said is true - ain't denying any of that.

My comment is that he has made good coin riding various boards over the years, but not a single wave or turn are memorable - hence the title of this thread ... "pro" surfers that have done more with less."
I don't care for his smug attitude towards people he feels are inferior to him... just read his daily Instagram comments. He could learn a thing or two from Curren. Whatever... I do like his Duct Tape contest - and much prefer Nieblas, Knost or the Hawaiian kid that rides for rvca.
Curious if Tudor would have still came out all fvcked up if Danny fuller and the boys hadn't have roughed him up when they attempted to shave his long hair off. :nana:

Joel, is one of the best "old" longboarders around and a Donald Takayama protege. Hits up the north shore in the winter, gets his share of waves on a shortboard, so he is versatile as well. His Vans sponsored "duct tape" longboard contests are notable at Huntington Beach with international travels (Japan and Australia) and going on 10 years. Joel has made coin by riding a single fin and planting his Toes on the Nose of a longboard. :shrug:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Maybe we should have made a caveat, surfers who were overrated who etc...

Cause irregardless of whether you like their style or not, many of the people listed in the thread can surf the pants off of all of us.

:shrug: :unsure: