Pro surfers/no insurance/begging for money on GoFundMe

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
First there was the guy that got hurt at Chopes, then the Peruvian guy the got hurt at Pipe, now the Tahitian guy that got hurt at Pipe.

What a bizarre world we're living in.:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

I'm sure they would donate to your GoFundMe and would throw you some waves at their local.
I think the constant stream of charity requests is like cold water dripping on your forehead. Maybe we need to hold one big fundraiser for these concussed and crippled men - like Jerry's Kids.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Access to the slush fund should include "return to work" provisions - recipients should have to work as they recover to restore their dignity and reciprocate the relationship. Perhaps they can trim, hedges, mow lawns, drive kids to school and practice, babysit, etc.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Agree, but it’s a lot more complicated, no? My insurance is good in the US but if I get hurt in Brazil I think I’m out of luck. I can get travel insurance but I think there are carve outs for dangerous activities. I assume surfing pipe/Chopes counts.

Jake Davis asking for help for back surgery? Yeah, get insurance.

Reactions: slipped_disc

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Why don't the pro contests require contestants to be insured, or include insurance in the entry fee? A twenty something adrenaline junky would never consider the possibility of serious injury or the financial ramifications on their own.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
just become illegal immigrant in california

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Agree, but it’s a lot more complicated, no? My insurance is good in the US but if I get hurt in Brazil I think I’m out of luck. I can get travel insurance but I think there are carve outs for dangerous activities. I assume surfing pipe/Chopes counts.

Jake Davis asking for help for back surgery? Yeah, get insurance.
No, it's not complicated. When you buy a travel insurance policy the policy states what is covered. Different policies cover different things.

If you decide to venture outside that policy then you're on your own.

It's that simple.

These (fake) pro surfers want to go to Hawaii for vacation to surf and have a good time. Then they end up panhandling due to their neglect.

When I see this kind of stuff it always amazes me how quick people are to throw money at these jerks when there's a million other ways that sort of money could be put to good use elsewhere.

GoFundMe for this (fake) pro surfer has only been up 3 days and he's over halfway to 55K.

Also, what is this "I CAN'T LEAVE THE COUNTRY UNLESS I PAY UP, NOW!" crap? It's not like the hospital notifies the TSA and they won't let you leave on a plane. There was another pro surfer who used the same lie recently.