Predictions for Return to Normalcy

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I am cautiously optimistic on the vaccine front. The whole developed world is sinking hundreds of billions into developing vaccines, kind of like a global Manhattan Project. They realize how success on that front will bring back properity and normalcy, and will spend whatever resources are necessary to achieve that success.

Also, I hear Subway's desire to GTFO the city. I think Covid + protesters + hamstrung cops = a vision of a not so great city life for a lot of people. A return to the '70s where cities were not a place anyone would want to live is in the cards???

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
they took out the fire rings at dockwilder

now people just dig holes in the sand and have illegal fires

I saw some assholes set one up in the fenced off protected zone by the LGHQ

no cops rolling through

straight up fkn rhodesia

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
I don't like to buy the first iteration of any technology, I wait till they work out the kinks. No way will I be the first one in line to get a rushed vaccine.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Met with the president of one of the larger coastal real estate company in Northern NJ a few weeks back and they can't get enough inventory due to all the people abandoning city life.
Here too. 10% appreciation in the last 6 months, zero inventory, every listing has multiple offers first day on the market, escalation clauses, no inspections, etc.

Subway -- I'm looking for the downshift opportunity too. Buy a modest place cash, stop meeting my employer's goals for me, surf more.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Possibly. There's a million cheap boats down there. Burnt-out guys in NY decide they're going to sell everything and live on a sailboat. They make it to FL and decide the life is not for them and sell it.

But I heard you can also do houseboating on some of those inland waterways.

The West Coast is a lot more sketchy for that lifestyle: no inland waterway, cold water, ports are few and far between, the Mexican coast, etc.
Take a cruise down or bike along the Miami River. It's nautically interesting.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
That's my understanding as well. Although I've never sailed the gulf, my research had lead me to believe there are lots of places to drop a hook and hang out for free until your water runs out or a hurricane chases you into port to pay for a secure slip or a mooring. But the surfing sucks. Oh well. Can't have it all on my budget.
Bahamas?

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
I'm starting to seriously consider GTFO of New York, and "retiring" to central florida east coast.
This board is a perfect reflection of the broader world. You're a smart guy - use your noggin. Figure out how to maximize your wealth - and by doing so, increase your surfing time - by leveraging what you see/experience here.

Ever notice the element of religious fervor among those who viscerally hate Trump? These extreme sentiments are not isolated to on-line communities. Rather, they are physically reflected across a broader spectrum in violence prone areas controlled by the left.

Why is the right so silent? Because by nature they are (way) more analytical and dispassionate. While a tiny minority may counter-protest, the vast majority simply make private family/financial decisions via their feet and pocketbooks.

Thus, the slow, silent bleed out from the urban zones and flight to (secure) suburbs. No fanfare, no media headlines, just the cold hard reality found in basic financial data like inventory and prices.

Don't know how many here have traveled or/been exposed to areas subject to sectarian conflicts: Greeks & Turks, Jews & Arabs, Moslems vs Hindus, Catholic vs Protestant Irish. Anyone with a clue should be able to ID the incipient elements of color revolution and counter insurgency simply by noting the number of US flags flying in certain neighborhoods. (Masks being the contra banner of the left.)

This is where you want to be. This is where you want to be making money, surfing and enjoying a prosperous, peaceful and safe life.

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Things will get back to a new normal when we have both vaccine and treatment, maybe sometime next year. I'm optimistic.

I‘m not holding my breath for an effective vaccine anytime soon. I think fast, same day testing that’s widely available and not costly would be infinitely more effective.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
This board is a perfect reflection of the broader world. You're a smart guy - use your noggin. Figure out how to maximize your wealth - and by doing so, increase your surfing time - by leveraging what you see/experience here.

Ever notice the element of religious fervor among those who viscerally hate Trump? These extreme sentiments are not isolated to on-line communities. Rather, they are physically reflected across a broader spectrum in violence prone areas controlled by the left.

Why is the right so silent? Because by nature they are (way) more analytical and dispassionate. While a tiny minority may counter-protest, the vast majority simply make private family/financial decisions via their feet and pocketbooks.

Thus, the slow, silent bleed out from the urban zones and flight to (secure) suburbs. No fanfare, no media headlines, just the cold hard reality found in basic financial data like inventory and prices.

Don't know how many here have traveled or/been exposed to areas subject to sectarian conflicts: Greeks & Turks, Jews & Arabs, Moslems vs Hindus, Catholic vs Protestant Irish. Anyone with a clue should be able to ID the incipient elements of color revolution and counter insurgency simply by noting the number of US flags flying in certain neighborhoods. (Masks being the contra banner of the left.)

This is where you want to be. This is where you want to be making money, surfing and enjoying a prosperous, peaceful and safe life.
You're still dumb, but at least you're not still boostering Mexican real estate.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
I'm starting to seriously consider GTFO of New York, and "retiring" to central florida east coast. I was approaching burn out after 13 years in my current career, and that was when i was making a boatload of money. I'll be making a canoe-load of money for the foreseeable future, so maybe now really IS the time to just cast off. Suburban homes are flying off the shelves right now, we could probably net out a couple hundo after paying off mortgage if we sold, and use that to buy a nice modest comfortable home in full, no mortgage, leaving maybe 500k in savings. Find other part time enjoyable non stressful income streams, my wife's yoga instruction etc, perhaps rental units etc, and just GTFO. or am i just crazy?
be less bummed out sub. at least you got out of brooklyn ahead of the curve.

i couldn’t believe what deblozz let happen in my old soho neighborhood... :bricks:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah the city proper is so sad right now. i'm in a beach bubble out in the burbs, and yeah, everyone wants to move to the bubbles now again (much like the 70's and early 80's) but probably 70% of my living is based on a crowded, vibrant, booming urban life with lots of commuters, broadway, activity, etc. we still have viable products, it's not like my industry is going away (we're like cave drawings) I just don't know if i want to work 5X ad hard for 1/5 of the money. Puerto Rico is still on the table, but i don't know if i would want to throw in all my chips on that island, or any island for that matter. that was more of an idea for a place to spend most of this coming winter whilst working remotely. Either way, we are not making any hasty decisions this summer. see what October brings. I'm still due about $40K in commissions from Q1 and 2. I'd at least like to collect those. in my business, if you resisgn or retire, you can haggle and beg for your "future" commissions on camaping you already booked, but they pretty much cut you off

Anyway, speaking of careers, i have a zoom call in 5 minutes to pitch a big campaign directly to the owner of a yarn/fabric manufacturer that got right into the silver ion antimicrobial mask business, and wants my help selling a couple hundred thousand of them. they're a fantastic set of products

Reactions: PRCD

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

The right is analytical and dispassionate? Guess you never watched one of those Trump rallies.
Masks a contra banner of the left? There goes your analytical argument.
:foreheadslap:

Reactions: Aruka and Witchipoo