Possible move to Florida from CA

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What's that get you there, a half order of chicken fingers? :unsure: Don't need to leave California for that :toilet:
That's what the parking ticket is - or was - and given Reef Road's make rate vs the other places it was worth it. Plus if you bring food and do two decently long sessions, $25 might actually wind up being cheaper than feeding the meter.

I forget the prices at the nice breakfast place on Royal Poinciana - it looks like it has been closed or changed around. I remember some between surf feeds with everyone looking at me very funny with wild hair, baked-out-of-my-gourd red eyes, and shorts and flip flops and a hoodie on a pretty brisk morning.

There is another place in that zone $25 will get you coffee or tea or oj or whatever and a very nice benedict. Cash only. I had the Portobello Saturday morning and the San Diego Sunday morning. The surf was better Saturday but it was MOAR crowded. I was able to get a decent share of forehand runners to peel off. Stocked. The food was baller both days.

To add to OP's remarks about West Indian feed options, $25 will get you a shitload if you go West over basically any bridge in Palm Beach or Broward County. If you don't get fucking carjacked before you find a place to park. To quote my Dad when he first laid eyes on Mainland South Florida, "It's The Bronx with palm trees." There are a sh!t-ton of affordable places to eat stuffed between the payday lenders, pawn shops, WE BUY GOLD, etc. A half mile from Monte Carlo to Mogadishu.

I see photos of Newport on certain Souths with the lefts coming up the beach. It's not any bigger - often smaller - than what I see in the Palm Beaches, it's packed as fuck, not 73-75 judging from the wetsuits, no Spanish Mackerel, and the water looks like here vs Blue's Hues in South Florida.

IMHO South Florida (Palm Beach County) is a very nice place to visit and a god-awful place to live. Broward and Dade are just god-awful to me.

Steer clear if you're a regularfoot and you can't generate speed for sh!t.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
That's what the parking ticket is - or was - and given Reef Road's make rate vs the other places it was worth it. Plus if you bring food and do two decently long sessions, $25 might actually wind up being cheaper than feeding the meter.
Ah ok- I thought you were saying that if you eat at the restaurant they allow you to park there while at the beach. Given the location that sounds cheap :toilet:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Ah ok- I thought you were saying that if you eat at the restaurant they allow you to park there while at the beach. Given the location that sounds cheap :toilet:
Yeah I'm just saying the $25 parking ticket was nothing in the grand scheme of things. I have family in the Sebastian area so I don't have 4.5 hours one way, but there's a shitload of people coming from Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Daytona, Space Coast, Orlando, Tampa, etc. and $25 winds up being not very much once you throw in food, gas, forget it if you're lucky enough for a two day event and you get a hotel....

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The private beach thing in FLA is utterly ridiculous.
If you decide to stay, the way to stay sane is to get your pilots license and a small twin engined plane and head to the Bahamas islands like the Abacos, San Salvador and Anegada- and there are a few other islands with remote strips that get waves. When I lived in West Palm, I had a couple of friends. who restored an old Aero Commander. We made a couple of epic missions.
If you want to surf Reef Road, Palm Beach throw a bike on your car, and park here at the PB country club (among the few public spots).
View attachment 150199
If it's pumping in Palm Beach, there's a real good outside left off of Wells Road - there's parking there too. It's generally not crowded bc people there are idiots who aren't willing to surf anywhere but Lake Worthless Pier or Palm Beach main beaches. EDIT - you can also get a capable boat. Look at the chain of tiny islands at the very N end of the Bahamas. Also frick, you can fly to PR or Kingston, JA so easily. It's been nonstop pumping in both those places for weeks.
The lot at PB Country Club is not public and you will be towed there.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
The private beach thing in FLA is utterly ridiculous.
If you decide to stay, the way to stay sane is to get your pilots license and a small twin engined plane and head to the Bahamas islands like the Abacos, San Salvador and Anegada- and there are a few other islands with remote strips that get waves. When I lived in West Palm, I had a couple of friends. who restored an old Aero Commander. We made a couple of epic missions.
If you want to surf Reef Road, Palm Beach throw a bike on your car, and park here at the PB country club (among the few public spots).
View attachment 150199
If it's pumping in Palm Beach, there's a real good outside left off of Wells Road - there's parking there too. It's generally not crowded bc people there are idiots who aren't willing to surf anywhere but Lake Worthless Pier or Palm Beach main beaches. EDIT - you can also get a capable boat. Look at the chain of tiny islands at the very N end of the Bahamas. Also frick, you can fly to PR or Kingston, JA so easily. It's been nonstop pumping in both those places for weeks.
Visited anegada for a day and scooted around with a fly rod hoping to find fish and checking some waves. It’s been on my radar for awhile now. Curious if you’ve surfed there?

Reactions: mundus

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Visited anegada for a day and scooted around with a fly rod hoping to find fish and checking some waves. It’s been on my radar for awhile now. Curious if you’ve surfed there?
A good friend grew up in the BVIs surfing. Spent most of his late teens into his late 20s exploring every nook and cranny by boat. His word or Anegada was that it was great kiting and windsurfing but forget about getting good surfing done there.

Reactions: manbearpig

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I haven't. A couple of friends have surfed the reefs there. I've seen it breaking from the air at fairly low altitude. Looked pretty insane.
Yea the spots looked good from my quick checks and I’ve seen photo/video. Seems like there’s some options for winds. But like @casa_mugrienta homies said it’s a very flat and exposed island. I don’t think swell would be an issue like much of the VI’s can experience (at least for those without a boat).

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Hey Casa - thanks for asking...Honestly I miss California - it nags and eats at me everyday
not sure I see myself here long term.
has potential but 4 hours away
There is actually surf this weekend - surfed Ft Pierce inlet yesterday and had fun - tried to surf pump house but its all private parking .
So much of Florida is Private beaches with no access and no parking and over run with cops - driving around looking for surf here is frustrating. I need some local knowledge.
alcohol induced party town - but weed is illegal. I told myself - give it 9 months and see - so far I am thinking I won't even make it that long.
Finding a doctor to prescribe you weed (or anything else) in South Florida should be easy. The sh!t at the dispensaries here is outstanding just like in California - if you've got a card.

Local Knowledge:

* Palm Beach mostly sucks. Broward/Dade almost universally suck.
* Parking opens way up once you get North of Jupiter Island.
* I'm voting Delray and Boca Inlet as Palm Beach's least likely to close out.
* There's public parking not too far of a walk to Pump House. Get there before 8:30 and you might even get a spot
* If you're not within a mile or so of a bridge on Jupiter Island, there's no place to park whatsoever, unless you have a golf buddy named Tiger.
* The overwhelming majority of spots in Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River, Brevard, and Volusia counties are within a mile of the inlets, most even closer. Most of the ones that aren't are beachbreaks that want very mixed/angled swell to avoid closing out.
* If your surf window is on the high side of mid tide and you're driving North, go to Fort Pierce or New Smyrna.
* Most all of the other spots want low tide.
* With First Peak Sebastian's demise Ponce Inlet is the best right hander in Atlantic Florida and it's not close.
* If you drive North of Reef Road and the wind is NW (fairly common) there are like three spots that won't be side-junked dogshit. Mayport and Satellite/Cocoa are two of them.
* "Cape Verde" Hurricane swells = Melbourne/Satellite or farther North in most instances.

If you got shoulder high New Smyrna, you've mostly seen the potential. Smyrna and Fort Pierce are Florida surfing's McDonald's - voted most likely to be open for business. But you ain't getting lobster.

Northeast groundswell plus truly good offshore winds (lots of side this weekend) and low tide produces the best surf Atlantic Florida has to offer. There are some lefts between Monster Hole (pictured below) and your neck of the woods that can get legitimately good.

The most important local knowledge is as follows: You miss California on a daily basis and surf-wise you've only been here for the absolute best time of the year. You'd better get into enjoying snorkeling, fishing, or spearing pink snapper in a hurry. March is usually better than April, April is usually better than May, and AIDS is usually better than June/July/August in South Florida.

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Finding a doctor to prescribe you weed (or anything else) in South Florida should be easy. The sh!t at the dispensaries here is outstanding just like in California - if you've got a card.

Local Knowledge:

* There's public parking not too far of a walk to Pump House. Get there before 8:30 and you might even get a spot
* If you're not within a mile or so of a bridge on Jupiter Island, there's no place to park whatsoever, unless you have a golf buddy named Tiger.
* The overwhelming majority of spots in Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River, Brevard, and Volusia counties are within a mile of the inlets, most even closer. Most of the ones that aren't are beachbreaks that want very mixed/angled swell to avoid closing out.
* If your surf window is on the high side of mid tide and you're driving North, go to Fort Pierce or New Smyrna.
* With First Peak Sebastian's demise Ponce Inlet is the best right hander in Atlantic Florida and it's not close.
* If you drive North of Reef Road and the wind is NW (fairly common) there are like three spots that won't be side-junked dogshit. Mayport and Satellite/Cocoa are two of them.
* "Cape Verde" Hurricane swells = Melbourne/Satellite or farther North in most instances.

If you got shoulder high New Smyrna, you've mostly seen the potential. Smyrna and Fort Pierce are Florida surfing's McDonald's - voted most likely to be open for business. But you ain't getting lobster.

Northeast groundswell plus truly good offshore winds (lots of side this weekend) and low tide produces the best surf Atlantic Florida has to offer. There are some lefts between Monster Hole (pictured below) and your neck of the woods that can get legitimately good.

The most important local knowledge is as follows: You miss California on a daily basis and surf-wise you've only been here for the absolute best time of the year. You'd better get into enjoying snorkeling, fishing, or spearing pink snapper in a hurry. March is usually better than April, April is usually better than May, and AIDS is usually better than June/July/August in South Florida.

Thanks Sharkbiscuit for the info - much appreciated - I would add that Florida has a killer reggae scene - seen some great local old school bands - the town has has a good vibe just no waves.

Reactions: sizzld1 and Subway

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Thanks Sharkbiscuit for the info - much appreciated - I would add that Florida has a killer reggae scene - seen some great local old school bands - the town has has a good vibe just no waves.
Just go ahead and change your name from INDTUBE to INDCLUB while youre in Florida. Actually get that(INDCLUB) tattooed somewhere on your body next to a tribal band and your Florida core score will go up 25%. 35% if its a tramp stamp.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

Local Knowledge:

My broseph thanks you many times over for your advice on local knowledge. He’s in Jenson beach, bought a Mable fish to go with his longboard. No crowd, he’s happy without fishing.Thanks for your help on that. I owe you. Come collect!