Possible Feb Trip Nosara CR

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
We stayed at the Cafe de Paris in 98'. A super friendly couple had just opened a small bakery that was attached to a indoor/outdoor bar, pool and half a dozen little cabinas. It looks like they are no longing renting the cabinas. I'd still visit them every chance you get. The food was fantastic and the bar/pool was the best around. They always had surf movies playing over the bar which was a bonus when your arms are noodled out from paddling. I'm stocked to see that they're still there.:shaka:

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Mods please move to Travel forum, keep forgetting to select which forum I am starting the thread in. Thanks SrPato

Jul 8, 2008
piggybacking on the thread..never been to Costa Rica and planning on going to Nosara for 6 days in late April with my son. I was thinking it may be good to spend half the time in Nosara and the other half at another location. Logistically I'm wondering if that's a bad idea..for 6 days is it worth it to try to get to Tamarindo or a spot further away? Also guessing if it's pumping (or flat) in the Nosara area would it be that much different in other zones. In other words if surf if the primary concern, better to stay put in one place or split time with another?

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
piggybacking on the thread..never been to Costa Rica and planning on going to Nosara for 6 days in late April with my son. I was thinking it may be good to spend half the time in Nosara and the other half at another location. Logistically I'm wondering if that's a bad idea..for 6 days is it worth it to try to get to Tamarindo or a spot further away? Also guessing if it's pumping (or flat) in the Nosara area would it be that much different in other zones. In other words if surf if the primary concern, better to stay put in one place or split time with another?
If surf is the primary concern I think you would have a good time just sticking around Nosara. Its always been consistent with something to surf each time I've been in that area. Easy to book tours in that zone also if your looking for something else other than surfing.

If your flying into Liberia though, it really wouldn't be that far out the way to hit Tamarindo for a night to get a taste of that area before continuing down to Nosara.

Any hotel reccomendations?
Not a cheap place, but Gilded Iguana is a very nice hotel walking distance to the surf and they sometimes offer discounts when you reach out to them. I like that one when funds allow it and i'm with family. Sunset Shack does the job for a cheaper basic room if your looking more for just a place to crash and walk to the surf

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
If surf is the primary concern I think you would have a good time just sticking around Nosara. Its always been consistent with something to surf each time I've been in that area. Easy to book tours in that zone also if your looking for something else other than surfing.

If your flying into Liberia though, it really wouldn't be that far out the way to hit Tamarindo for a night to get a taste of that area before continuing down to Nosara.

Not a cheap place, but Gilded Iguana is a very nice hotel walking distance to the surf and they sometimes offer discounts when you reach out to them. I like that one when funds allow it and i'm with family. Sunset Shack does the job for a cheaper basic room if your looking more for just a place to crash and walk to the surf
Gilded is in a great location and has always had a great restaurant. I haven't stayed there since the whole place was renovated and I understand prices have basically tripled.

Reactions: trifish

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Thanks for the replies, started checking for accommodation and alot is booked for the dates I want when my buds are there. Going to either bag it or do another solo trip in the spring.

Reactions: trifish

Pescado713

Nep status
May 2, 2019
If you wanna get laid, Tama is def the go to spot....largest collection of freaks in CR and good cocaine to boot. That said, the surf is not that great although if you're willing to drive there are def better waves. The BPM Music fest is in a few days and well just Google it. If you're just staying 6 days and not a ripper you'll be fine @ Guiones, it can actually be a largish & spread out fun beach break with the occasional tube. Look out otw in there are a couple of decent reefs that break on good N swell.

Reactions: Chocki

Pescado713

Nep status
May 2, 2019
Did you bring kids? If so, how old and how was it for them? How was the price and accomidations compared to surrounding places? Looks real nice. Thanks
its a good kids place (if you are talking about Nosara/Guiones), Tamarindo is ok as long as you keep a short leash on them....

Reactions: obpmem

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Did you bring kids? If so, how old and how was it for them? How was the price and accomidations compared to surrounding places? Looks real nice. Thanks
Do you mean the unit we stayed at or the area itself? I'll answer either way. I took a chick there and no kids. That place is rad and def would be a great place for kids. Pool, BBQ area and gated. Close walk to the main town with great places to eat.
That zone is kid friendly and lots of tourist things to do nearby. We did horse and zip lines.

Reactions: obpmem
Jul 17, 2010
I have a friend who has had a house in Nosara area for about 20 years. I finally went down to see him last March. Holy crap, that zone is totally retarded. We went to Guiones two days. Surf was knee to waist-high with a sporadic chest-high. Super lame, but there were hundreds of people out. About 70% were beginners and another 15% were fresh off their first lesson. It was a total clown-car. I'll never go there again.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
I have a friend who has had a house in Nosara area for about 20 years. I finally went down to see him last March. Holy crap, that zone is totally retarded. We went to Guiones two days. Surf was knee to waist-high with a sporadic chest-high. Super lame, but there were hundreds of people out. About 70% were beginners and another 15% were fresh off their first lesson. It was a total clown-car. I'll never go there again.
December to April is big tourist season. Weather is dry and beautiful, waves small, as the swells aren't coming off the Antarctic until at least May. Soo... lots of kooks on longboards. You wouldn't see them much a few months later, well, other than sitting on the beach waiting for a small day.

dalton3c

Miki Dora status
Mar 6, 2003
Pine St.
Hey all. I am looking to go to CR next New Year with my wife and 8 yr old son. I am a good surfer, they are beginners. The Costabella place looks pretty nice. I mostly longboard. Will this place be good for logging and safe for kids?

Any other recommendations in CR, or anywhere else for that matter, are helpful.
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Apr 30, 2022
For the Nicoya peninsula as a whole, including Nosara is NW swell better for surf, SW swell, or pretty even depending on the breaks?

I guess November can be a good time depending on the year? El Nino usually means an earlier end to the wet season where as La Nina can mean a longer wet season? ... Are the last weeks of November a gamble or a pretty good time for weather and road travel?

Sounds like March - April are both the busiest and hottest months... how about February? Good time to go? I've only been to the Nicoya once and it was the end of April. I ended up with a lot of cloud and a lot of onshore winds picking up early in the day.