Poke recipe thread?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Uncertain about the poke recipe, but did find his Hawaiian hot sauce recipe here.

Have made it a few times. Going to make it some more with the Thai chili peppers when they ripen. I ruin the simplicity of it by adding in 5 allspice berries.

This is it:

"oneula, post: 3320266, member: 8670"
  • 8 oz. water
  • 2 oz. white vinegar
  • 1 tsp. Hawaiian rock salt, ‘alaea salt, or kosher salt
  • 1 clove garlic, smashed
  • 1–3 fresh red chili peppers, preferably Hawaiian (hot)
Boil water. Cool. In a clean glass jar or bottle, add water, vinegar, garlic, salt and chili pepper. Cover and let sit two days in a cool place before using. Store in refrigerator.

like everything hawaiian, the longer you let it sit and "miko" the better
with this you can make pickled maui onion and other pickled stuffs

Hawaiian Chilis only score 50,000 to 70,000 on the Scoville Heat Unit scale
Usually the smaller they are the hotter they are

They were used as corporal punishment in place of a belt when we were kids
no eat your vegetables
you get a hawaiian chili rubbed on your lips and tongue and you stand facing the corner until you eat your vegetables.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
no eat your vegetables
you get a hawaiian chili rubbed on your lips and tongue and you stand facing the corner until you eat your vegetables.
:roflmao: :applause2:

Reactions: hammies

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Uncertain about the poke recipe, but did find his Hawaiian hot sauce recipe here.

Have made it a few times. Going to make it some more with the Thai chili peppers when they ripen. I ruin the simplicity of it by adding in 5 allspice berries.

This is it:

"oneula, post: 3320266, member: 8670"
  • 8 oz. water
  • 2 oz. white vinegar
  • 1 tsp. Hawaiian rock salt, ‘alaea salt, or kosher salt
  • 1 clove garlic, smashed
  • 1–3 fresh red chili peppers, preferably Hawaiian (hot)
Boil water. Cool. In a clean glass jar or bottle, add water, vinegar, garlic, salt and chili pepper. Cover and let sit two days in a cool place before using. Store in refrigerator.

like everything hawaiian, the longer you let it sit and "miko" the better
with this you can make pickled maui onion and other pickled stuffs

no eat your vegetables
My dad did something similar, go to the bathroom before you finish your vegetables, return to fork dripping pickled jalapeño juice. Suck on the fork.

What kind of fish are we talking about again? Does Dorado work?

We haven’t heard from uncle barry for a while, always with the aloha that guy.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Pops took me to on an asia trip when I was 7 . I ate a fucking chinese chili pepper because I thought it was a carrot or something.

Him and his buddies were dying haha. Asshole!

• Haha
Reactions: hammies

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Pops took me to on an asia trip when I was 7 . I ate a fucking chinese chili pepper because I thought it was a carrot or something.

Him and his buddies were dying haha. Asshole!
ask me how I learned what a habañero looks like....

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I thought I had bookmarked that recipe of Oneula's, but no....it might be in the pandemic meal thread.

So until someone finds it, this might be an acceptable recipe from here. Only saying this because I remember Oneula going on about the right seaweed and this recipe was one of the few that mentions it that I could find quickly.

2 lbs. fresh HIGH quality raw ahi tuna, cubed into ½ to ¾ inch squares, appropriate for eating raw, if unsure talk to your fish monger

3 oz. chopped green onion

3 oz. diced onion (many Hawaiian places use Maui onions which are hard to find on the Mainland, you can use Vidalia, it should be on the sweeter side for an onion)

2 oz. chopped limu/ogo (fresh seaweed - hard to find outside Hawaii)

1 tsp. red chili flakes

2 tbs. soy sauce

2 tbs. sesame oil

Hawaiian red salt to taste

Kukui nut (inamona) - also hard to find outside Hawaii

Combine all ingredients and chill. Sprinkle more chopped green onion tops and some sesame seeds on at this point if you want it to look more festive. You can also play around by adding other stuff like wasabi for wasabi poke or adding in furikake or avocado, etc. Be careful with the soy, too, as a little goes a long way in this dish.

PRO-TIP: The hardest ingredients to source will be the inamona (crushed kukui nut), ogo/limu (fresh Hawaiian seaweed), and Hawaiian red salt. You can make poke without these three ingredients, or by subbing in crushed macadamia nut for the inamona. But something always seems missing to me when I cut them out of the recipe. There’s something about the nuttiness of the inamona that makes the poke taste even richer.

Using all these “secret” ingredients is what really takes this poke recipe to another level.

I make my own inamona by roasting and crushing raw kukui nuts. They may be labeled “candle nuts” or “kemiri nuts” at the store and are a staple of Indonesian & Malaysian food. Kalustyan’s in NYC carries them.

You can get the ogo online, freeze dried from NOH Foods, and it reconstitutes fairly well. You can get this on Amazon or on the NOH Foods web site. NOH also sells poke “mix” packets with the freeze dried ogo, salt, chili pepper flakes, and sesame seeds, but it’s $3.75 for a small 0.4 oz packet. Fresh ogo seaweed is flown in to Japanese stores on the West coast (like Marukai) but I don’t know if they do that anywhere else.

Any specialty spice store will have the Hawaiian red salt.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
For fun I've been trying to make some ahi poke. Been tweaking the recipe from Foodland.
Ahi Poke Recipe from Foodland

IMHO inamona is critical to the flavor. Plus I use my precious Hawaiian salt from Salt Pond, Hanapepe. My father recommended cutting up the ahi, salting it, then leaving it in the fridge for several hours. Mix the other ingredients separately and combine with ahi just before serving. I also heard that Kadoya brand sesame oil is best.

oneula's chili pepper water recipe looks ono.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Found it.

Official link.

Recommend you read the thread for much more detail, however, because I care:

"oneula, post: 3068336, member: 8670"
this is authentic style that I was taught
everything else out there is not

Cut the fish into 1 inch chunks
Add a little dab of hawaiian salt preferably REAL NOT DYED, red alai salt from kauai
Add a little dab of REAL hawaian chili pepper water to taste
some finely chopped limu kohu, or real limu from the ocean not the stuff grown in tubs on the big island
preferably crunchy manauea but waiwai ole, ele'ele, lipoa or huluhuluwaina will work as well
some chopped roasted kukui nut
some chopped maui onion
gently rub (lomi) the ingredients together and place in the icebox for a couple of hours to miko

add-ons if needed
some finely chopped green onion
a dab of sesame oil to taste
On the hilo side of the big island they use baby fernshoots instead of ogo (seaweed)

This is the way hawaiians have made poke from the dawn of time using only ingredients they got from the ocean and the land

Everything else. is not "true hwawaiian poke"

I don't have a clue where "poke bowls" came from
I've never eaten "poke" with rice, to me that's for sashimi
poke only goes with poi the more sour the better

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
It doesn't come up with the Google site search method. I made it as close as I could to his instructions. It'll set you back for the ingredients but you'll have enough to make lots of batches.

Kukui nuts
salt
Nīoi for chili water
ogo nori
hawaiian sweet onion

I still make my go to haole version with a little soy, sesame oil and serrano chiles and sometimes avo.
Scallion garnish, no serranos.