Plantar Fasciitis!? Any Cures?

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
Have high arches and have been suffering left heel pain for at least a few years now. Don't wear shoes all the time (have orthotic inserts for them), and sandals/flip flops seem to have minimal arch support. Can barely even walk when waking up...left heel is horrible. Sometimes doesn't get much better during day...pain on every step. Walked the harbor with my brother over the weekend (with arch supports) and there was pain on every step...getting fed up with Plantar Fasciitis!! Any advice on how to cure it much appreciated!

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I wore custom orthotic inserts for months( a little at a time, at first)
got much better for me,still have them in one pair of shoes but don't wear every day anymore

Feb 28, 2015
Take tumeric to reduce inflammation and use strassburg sock. I am only taking tumeric and doing stretches and it's working. Like you I have a very high arch.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1 If you are overweight, loose weight.

2 If you have a poor diet, get a better one.

3 If you are past 50, get younger.

4 If you can, see a podiatrist for real advice.

5 If you can, wear better footwear.

6 If you can reduce the inflammation, do.

7 Once you get pain under control, walk in deep sand regularly*.

Good luck and let us know how it goes....or let me know, I have a flare-up here and there, usually after wearing shiny tight work shoes that give me the appearance of knowing what I am talking about during work presentations.

* - This was told to me by a homeopath, so, yeah, no idea if this makes as much sense as 1-6.

• Haha
Reactions: Random Guy

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
Mr Doof said:
1 If you are overweight, loose weight.

2 If you have a poor diet, get a better one.

3 If you are past 50, get younger.

4 If you can, see a podiatrist for real advice.

5 If you can, wear better footwear.

6 If you can reduce the inflammation, do.

7 Once you get pain under control, walk in deep sand regularly*.

Good luck and let us know how it goes....or let me know, I have a flare-up here and there, usually after wearing shiny tight work shoes that give me the appearance of knowing what I am talking about during work presentations.

* - This was told to me by a homeopath, so, yeah, no idea if this makes as much sense as 1-6.
I do plan on losing 20 pounds. Diet okay but could be better. As for footwear, did get some Spenco orthotic flip/flops today. Looking into specific stretches/exercises to improve things. Hopefully all of this will help!

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
I used to run and suffered with plantar fasciitis on and off for years.
I tried all the non-invasive treatments and programs with limited success.

About 6 years ago, I just stopped running. I swam more instead.

Other than not running, I have not limited my activity in any way.
I have not had a recurrence since I stopped.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Maybe running caused flare-ups because

1 you were overdoing it

2 you weren't warming up/cooling down properly

3 you had a stress fracture that never healed right

4 you actually have a 6th toe growing (don't laugh too hard, one of my sisters complained of foot problems for years, and finally after like 30 yrs of complaints, went to a doc, the doc feels the foot, goes "hmmm, let's get an X-ray", X-ray shows an extra "bone sprout" along the bones that make up the arch of the foot, doc says, "hey, your body looks like it is trying to grow an extra toe, let's get rid of it", surgery happens and with a bolt-cutter like tool, clips off the extra bone, and now she has a problem free foot...and yes, I occasionally rib her about being a mutant.

5 something else I can't think of in the moment...lost my train of thought with the story of my mutant sister

6 combo of the above.

Anyway, no matter, glad you got past it. For my own flare-ups, I just think I will need to not wear the tight shoes.....oh well, there goes my presentation tomorrow for the Board....maybe I can hide the comfy shoes behind a desk or something.

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
What worked for me is adding proper inserts to every single shoe I wore and wearing those shoes as often as possible.

Sandles like rainbows that break in over time and form some arch support work ok for me for about half a day.

If you have wood floors, don't go barefooted around the house all day.

Wheelhouse

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 13, 2013
use a lacrosse ball to massage it.

I also got these super feet orthotics and that seemed to cure it...

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
https://www.docpods.com/Plantar-Fascia-Stretch

Dont waste your time doing anything other PF stretches. This is all you need.

Hold that stretch 2 minutes but do not exceed 7/10 on pain scale.

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
SurfDoc said:
Get an x-ray. It might be a spur.
Just got x-ray today...referred to Podiatrist. Should have more information soon...not sure what can be done if a spur (they did mention an injection)...will keep you posted.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
"....not sure what can be done if a spur.."

They can and do grind down spurs.

And if other things don't change, those spurs can come back.

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
Mr Doof said:

X-ray results in...bummed out...yes it is a spur. Hope something can be done about it.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
StinkinHippie said:
https://www.docpods.com/Plantar-Fascia-Stretch

Dont waste your time doing anything other PF stretches. This is all you need.

Hold that stretch 2 minutes but do not exceed 7/10 on pain scale.

Never have any problem doing that particular stretch except when I've had a flare-up (usually after wearing somewhat restrictive shoes).

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
bigsurfer67 said:
Mr Doof said:

X-ray results in...bummed out...yes it is a spur. Hope something can be done about it.
Podiatrist gave me some stretches to do (wall & towel stretch, golf ball roll, etc.)...said spur is small and not jabbing into tendon, but is laying down and pointing forward towards toes which is good. No surgery or injections recommended...thinks will get better with consistent stretching/wearing of orthotics, icing, etc....sure hope so!

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
bigsurfer67 said:
Have high arches and have been suffering left heel pain for at least a few years now. Don't wear shoes all the time (have orthotic inserts for them), and sandals/flip flops seem to have minimal arch support. Can barely even walk when waking up...left heel is horrible. Sometimes doesn't get much better during day...pain on every step. Walked the harbor with my brother over the weekend (with arch supports) and there was pain on every step...getting fed up with Plantar Fasciitis!! Any advice on how to cure it much appreciated!
Wife fought it for two years, did everything and every type of treatment minus surgery which was the last hope, then went to an orthopedic acupuncturist, cured in 6 treatments, years later has never returned. Might want to give that a try.

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
Eimeo said:
bigsurfer67 said:
Wife fought it for two years, did everything and every type of treatment minus surgery which was the last hope, then went to an orthopedic acupuncturist, cured in 6 treatments, years later has never returned. Might want to give that a try.
Have lagged on stretching over the years thinking it would get better on its own (hasn't), so I'm more consistent with them now...is a little better. Actually walked the harbor again today and was not pain on every step...see some improvement. Will have to be patient with it...thanks for the acupuncture info...something to try in the future if necessary!