PIRATES OF KAUAI

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
If you were a passenger hiring a boat to take you from point A to point B, but with no intention of paying, why would you announce that out of the blue only 100 yards from point A? "I don't have to pay you nothing" sounds like it would have been in response to a demand for payment and not something the passenger would have just volunteered before the boat arrived at its destination. Also, if you were a boat operator agreeing to take someone from point A to point B, putting that person ahead of others in exchange for payment, wouldn't you request payment up front? Last, what is the link between the passenger who announced his refusal to pay and the boat tour operators who have a grudge against the Koehne? How would the boat tour operators learn about the passenger's refusal to pay then somehow spin that around against Koehne? This whole situation is bizarre.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
San Gabriel Valley local said:
If you were a passenger hiring a boat to take you from point A to point B, but with no intention of paying, why would you announce that out of the blue only 100 yards from point A? "I don't have to pay you nothing" sounds like it would have been in response to a demand for payment and not something the passenger would have just volunteered before the boat arrived at its destination. Also, if you were a boat operator agreeing to take someone from point A to point B, putting that person ahead of others in exchange for payment, wouldn't you request payment up front? Last, what is the link between the passenger who announced his refusal to pay and the boat tour operators who have a grudge against the Koehne? How would the boat tour operators learn about the passenger's refusal to pay then somehow spin that around against Koehne? This whole situation is bizarre.
It's either truly bizarre, or it's really simple. Hopefully the more bizarre claims are true, otherwise that is a really fvcked up way to try to capitalize off of a natural disaster.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Just like that pussy Cheapshot in the old DVS video. Man up Koehne, you are a pussy.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
brukuns said:
"According to Barca, after doing multiple boat trips taking food, medicine, supplies, gas, and ferrying people out of flood-affected areas, Koehne was offered money by some people who wanted to be the first ones out. “These people wanted to pay money to be the first ones to get out,” Barca said on a phone call on Sunday afternoon. “So he said, ‘we’ll make some gas money and pay for the rest of the trips that I’m going to be doing for the next few days.'” When Koehne and the people were about 100 yards from shore, things changed.

“When he got the people on the boat,” Barca continued, “one of the guys said, ‘oh, I don’t have to pay you nothing.’ So [Koehne] said, ‘you guys said you wanted to get the first trip out, and you said you were going to give me gas money. If you don’t want to go with what you said, I can turn around and bring you right back to the beach… I can drop you off and you can catch the next boat.’ They said, ‘no no, it’s all good.’ Next thing you know, he’s public enemy number one.”"
Not sure you want Barca speaking for you. Because even if what he says is true, it's still extortion...

Also, I saw a screenshot going around where Koehne admitted to the whole thing on facebook. He posted that he was charging for rides and then received a bunch of backlash and then deleted the post.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
In a crisis situation, and with certain visitors to Hawaii (Hanalei especially because it draws wealthy travelers), I could see words getting heated and exchanged. If he truly didn't ask for money (maybe was offered and taken), then I feel bad for him because this type of attention (it's in the Washington Post) can ruin somebody and their family for generations.

I guess we'll find out.

I know if I lived on Kauai's North Shore I would have problems with all the visitors going in and out of Kalalau. Taking dumps, fucking up my backyard, Instagram posturing, some living back there for extended periods, using natural and man made resources, etc etc. without bringing much to the local economy.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
well one of the victims was a local big island resident

"Big Island resident Liana Leaulii, who was hiking along the Kalalau Trail when the severe weather began, said that's exactly what happened to her.
"Once we were out in the middle of the ocean, they were like, ‘Did so-and-so on the beach tell you it was $200 a head on the boat?’“ said Leaulii."

Not really a haole tourist and it looks like she was unaware of whatever "deal" was made like Barca says. You never know but I don't think a local hiker would feel the need to pay to get out first

News Story

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Duffy said:
It’s the haoles fault. It’s always the haoles the fault.
It's so rough to be a white person. From minute to minute it's like, what are the people in power going to do to this poor white man next? What fresh hell awaits me this day?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
youcantbeserious said:
Duffy said:
It's so rough to be a white person. From minute to minute it's like, what are the people in power going to do to this poor white man next? What fresh hell awaits me this day?
Not all haoles are white.

And not all white people have easy lives.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Racer1 said:
In a crisis situation, and with certain visitors to Hawaii (Hanalei especially because it draws wealthy travelers), I could see words getting heated and exchanged. If he truly didn't ask for money (maybe was offered and taken), then I feel bad for him because this type of attention (it's in the Washington Post) can ruin somebody and their family for generations.

I guess we'll find out.

I know if I lived on Kauai's North Shore I would have problems with all the visitors going in and out of Kalalau. Taking dumps, fucking up my backyard, Instagram posturing, some living back there for extended periods, using natural and man made resources, etc etc. without bringing much to the local economy.
The times I've been to Kalalau it was like Fraggle Rock back there. Naked stink freeloaders bugging me to 'trade' them for stuff. Fck off! When the 'ticket writing' boats would be coming up the coast, they would scatter like rats.

It'll be interesting to see what the outcome is, if the truth does come out after many billable hours by blood sucking lawyers.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
youcantbeserious said:
Duffy said:
You are right. You can't be proud to be white either. Immediately labeled a racist.

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
My bad it was an Osirris video. Who the hell can keep up with pro skater shoe startups? But that Koehne bitch cheapshotted someone at pipe. Don’t think an attorney will use that against ya? Way to go winner.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
No good deed goes unpunished.

What I would think would be the proper attitude for a "rescuer": Expect nothing, be grateful if offered. From those being rescued: If you can afford it, offer to give a little. There's karma involved here -- making a rescue transactional feels really wrong to me -- looks like both parties may be to blame.

As to running illegal boat trips -- no better way to **** off the locals than to cut in on their action.