Picking a Third Travel Board

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Every time I travel and bring 3 boards, I never use all 3. Bring the two you’re most comfortable on that will handle most conditions, then something very different in case conditions warrant it. In your case, it seems that would be the Bonzer.
Side note- I’ve never been to Indo

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

spenat

Nep status
Feb 11, 2008
Brooklyn- Manhattan beach
Every time I travel and bring 3 boards, I never use all 3. Bring the two you’re most comfortable on that will handle most conditions, then something very different in case conditions warrant it. In your case, it seems that would be the Bonzer.
Side note- I’ve never been to Indo

my one time to the Ments 15 years ago I bought a 5-10, a 6-0, a 6-6 and a 6-9
broke the 5-10 and 6-0 in the first few days
then was on the 6-6 until a fin box blew out.
was stuck on the 6-9 which was too much board for most, still fun but I wish I has any off the other three
better to have a back up daily there than some random board

the waves were so perfect you could get away with a smaller board. I didn't feel like I needed to have a proper step up to chase them down, unlike a place like Tavi where the extra board helps you get in and out of the way easier

if I was going now I would take a 6-0 flyer, 6-2 ghost, and forecast depending a 5-6 seaside, or 6-4 ghost, in those waves I prob would just be on the 6-2 ghost most days though

Reactions: Aruka and OsideBum

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
Lots of interesting takes here and good advice. The two Stamps in the photos are similar dims. The blue one is a 6’1 and the round tail is a 6’2. There is enough redundancy so that if one breaks the other can cover that ground. It might not be ideal but it should work. The Bonzer is a 6’2 but a different beast all together. All those boards have a “sturdy” glass job. I discussed with Tim and Malcom that they would be travel boards and wanted to them to hold up better than OTR boards. I could conceivably pick up another board but I would want to find it used. At any rate, I’m kinda leaning towards the Bonzer so I can put it through its paces in the waves it’s meant for.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Heading to Macaronis in March!! I had Tim Stamps shape me two boards to take and now I’m trying to decide on board 3 for the travel quiver. It’s between the 5’10 RNF 96 in light speed or the 6’2 Bonzer AO3. The RNF 96 is currently my favorite surfboard however, I feel like that Bonzer will reach a whole new level that I’ve never felt on our NCSD beach breaks.

If you were going what board would
you take and why?

The Stamps are definitely going.

View attachment 168511View attachment 168512View attachment 168513
I’d bring the bonzer and the squash tail.

That‘s it.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
At any rate, I’m kinda leaning towards the Bonzer so I can put it through its paces in the waves it’s meant for.
shores?

The two Stamps in the photos are similar dims. The blue one is a 6’1 and the round tail is a 6’2. There is enough redundancy so that if one breaks the other can cover that ground.
same effective rail length. would not take both

if were me i'd take the bonzer and the thumb tail over the squash

Reactions: OsideBum