Philidelphia/South Jersey

Nov 16, 2023
Grew up on one of the islands near AC and spent some time living in Philly. It wasn’t for me. The quality of life in the beach towns in the off season is pretty good. No traffic , no lines , good fishing and fun waves. Judging by everything you’re saying I would probably recommend Haddondield or Collingswood. The drive ain’t that bad to surf it will just get tricky in the winter/spring when the windows are smaller to surf. Could be garbage in the morning and clean up in the afternoon and you have limited daylight , traffic, and you gotta account for the extra 90 minutes it takes to put on 45lbs of rubber

Nov 16, 2023
A decade in nyc and San Fran? Academic professor? Want the city?

I’m just gunna go out on a limb here and don’t intend to judge. south jersey ain’t for you. I’ll be culture shock - fish outta water- it’s the burbs. An extreme example - there are parts of deep s jersey that are technically below the mason dixon line and the confederate flag still flies high. Hammonton is close to this. Farmers with Rolex’s deep into politics and the pine barrens commission mixed in with migrant workers with a dichotomy in between. I’m not speaking poorly - just from family history in Atlantic/burlington counties for centuries and I love it.

id recommend Yardley to new hope pa - maybe even Princeton nj.

Any which way you slice it - your commute to work/beach will go up. Traffic in s jersey around Philly has exponentially gone up in the last 20 years. Roads aren’t designed to handle the volume.

Southern Lbi can have fantastic lefts. North of 7-11, a-frames.
Have had some of my most memorable surfs at two four.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Bay Head and Manasquan are great! But a pretty different part of Jersey. That's @MrSteve territory.
I'm in Bricktucky, 10 mins outside of Bay Head, right on the Monmouth/ Ocean County border. As soon as you cross that border, property taxes jump 5k. But its almost a straight shot from the beach to north Philly. And as surfadelphia said, the further in you go in Jersey, the weirder the people get.

I spend a week in South Jersey with the inlaws and such, every summer in Sea Isle City. Ho Ree Phuk, the place is infested with Pennsyltukians on vacay... and they are a special type of entitlement and ignorance, and their beach etiquette is non existent. It's literally hard for me to enjoy myself :p I usually come up with some project around the house "i have to come home early for" while leaving my fam down there for the rest of the week. But the ones from PA i've met who've bought my boards, have been the loveliest of people.