Pat Curren RIP

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
He and Tom have this aura of mystique around them that's just irresistible. What exactly WAS he doing between, say, 1965 and now? Did he have a straight job? Was he surfing a lot? Not at all? Who knows. Only Pat probably knows and he isn't talking.

(I suspect the truth is fairly mundane but it's fun to speculate.)

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
He and Tom have this aura of mystique around them that's just irresistible. What exactly WAS he doing between, say, 1965 and now? Did he have a straight job? Was he surfing a lot? Not at all? Who knows. Only Pat probably knows and he isn't talking.

A recent episode of Surf Splendor with Paul Schmidt (shaper from NY) went into detail about his recent years. Things were not good for Pat.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

If I recall,

PC married JC and moved back to the mainland.

TC was born in San Diego or Newport, I can't remember which.

Then PC moved the family to SB and dove for abalone and sold women's swimwear, built boats, did carpentry.

Then PC skipped out on the family and moved to CR.

Then East Cape BCS

He was still surfing back then, and making boards.

Had a kid in his 70s.

Then moved back to the states.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I don't ever recall thinking he was father of the year.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
RIP.

Lots of "when men were men" type posts will follow his death.

I didn't know the guy,. His surfing and board building were incredible gifts to the sport.

His Hemingway-esque life is incredibly intriguing and, it seems, equally as tragic.

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754