paipos

highline rider

Miki Dora status
Jan 31, 2003
Orange County
anyone here ride em ever? im planning on making one. i was thinking 36" long, 19" nose, 22" width at 1" up from center, 18" tail, 17" pod. no rocker with a good concave going through the whole thing. two 2"x4" double foiled keel fins.

give me any suggestions on one of these you guys may have.

highline rider

Miki Dora status
Jan 31, 2003
Orange County
with the recent news of great whites cruising trestles, i figure i can make a paipo and cruise on the half moon down there when it gets bigger.

im thinking the same fabric from my fish on the deck and a black and wood checkerboard spray on bottom.

highline rider

Miki Dora status
Jan 31, 2003
Orange County
thanks chip, that looks alot like a spooned out version of my 5'6" stubby. still waiting for that to be finished. the materials i have to work with for this paio is a 2'x4' piece of plywood, glass and resin. there are many things i can do with it as far as aesthetics go, but for building it, only plywood and glass. anybody who reads this know how i could get a slight rocker in the wood? i mean like only 1 inch of nose rocker at the most.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
soak it in water, set it on a flat surface and use something (books, clamps, etc...) underneathe the nose area to "lift" the wood where you want the rocker and place weights on top to hold it in position. Let sit overnight.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I built a few Paipos when I was a kid and was trying several ways to put rocker in the board. My dad saw I was having trouble and suggested that I fill the bathtub with water and position the board where the curve of the tub would give me the rocker I wanted. Next I placed cinder blocks on top of the board to hold it in place and to apply the pressure needed to form the rocker. It worked pretty well from what I remember.

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
I'm not sure when / why/ if paipos ever became kneeboards, but here's one that might appeal to you for obvious reasons, Dave... the NEWPORT 'paipo' !!
It was pretty much just a brand name thing. In fact there may have been a brand just called "Paipo" (not Newport) but I don't remember exactly.

My first board was a Hansen single fin kneeboard. I think I got it in '72.