Painted rails

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Montana rattle cans are also really good. I have the OG Zamora X dialer (IYKYK) that he painted the rails black on with Montana cans and they are for the most part in pretty good shape after all these years.(I have tried to dig up that old thread to no avail. Maybe one of you erBB geniuses can find it in the ether) I’ve done a few repairs on it and used the same stuff with good results and have also used it to paint the rails of other boards. Just make sure you hit it with plenty of UV flat or satin clearcoat. Montana paint pens also work really well for touching things up. They come in varying thicknesses. Just like pepis (man parts)

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Hang on to it! Ian might want to scan it, x-dialer is / was magic! I still have mine with Lokbox fins.
She's not going anywhere, still one of my favorite boards and gets in the water. Ian and I actually tried to connect a while back so he could scan it, but we never made it happen. If you're out there Ian....

Reactions: Homie

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
My issue with painting the foam is purely aesthetic. However, get the slightest impact and the snackles show up like paper snowflakes on a black background. A lot of the boards I make, I ride for a season, and then sell. If it wasn't for the snackles they would basically be new.

I figured if the paint was outside the glass then that problem is gone. Outside the sand coat and you have a new set of problems- scratching or chipping off.

Any body with black painted rail boards hav problems?

Last edited:

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
I’ve painted rails on a couple of boards. Red and blue but never black. I don’t notice any significant problems. After awhile they can chip but it takes a couple years unless you’re rough on your boards.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Easy way to spice up the look without painting the whole thing. Trouble is rails / tails are the first to scratch up so things can look rough in a hurry. Color matching after repair is no fun either.

I like color if only to fight the aging yellow look, because my many of my boards will surely outlive me.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Got a couple of dark railed boards, one black. Definitely shows some snackles which it kind of annoying but I still think it's worth it due to the overall look.