Padillac = Solid

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Great day on the Padillac, only second time on it, really good, solid ground swell for my area, beach break, water moving, incoming tide, 6’-8’ faces, man this board is pure confidence. Got the big ones as the HPSB fellows were mostly under gunned.
-the board you don’t want to have, since you won’t have an excuse when it’s big.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Great day on the Padillac, only second time on it, really good, solid ground swell for my area, beach break, water moving, incoming tide, 6’-8’ faces, man this board is pure confidence. Got the big ones as the HPSB fellows were mostly under gunned.
-the board you don’t want to have, since you won’t have an excuse when it’s big.
I had an 8’6 (custom that was a bit narrower than stock) that I sold because as I aged a bit I just wasn’t riding the waves that require an 8’6.

Now I have a 7’6 M13 gun. If that board is too small for conditions then I’m not all that interested in surfing those conditions.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What size is your paddy, Jeff?

I have a 7-10 that I ride a handful of times per winter. Its great for its intended purpose. Its also fun when the waves arent completely huge but maybe there is a ton of current or its super shifty, lumpy, whatever. The board has a mellow enough rocker that it works in a wide variety of waves but for me it prefers deep water slopey stuff.

Ive never felt like I needed a bigger board and if anything Id probably go a little narrower on the 7-10 if I got it custom.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
What size is your paddy, Jeff?

I have a 7-10 that I ride a handful of times per winter. Its great for its intended purpose. Its also fun when the waves arent completely huge but maybe there is a ton of current or its super shifty, lumpy, whatever. The board has a mellow enough rocker that it works in a wide variety of waves but for me it prefers deep water slopey stuff.

Ive never felt like I needed a bigger board and if anything Id probably go a little narrower on the 7-10 if I got it custom.
Mine is a stock 7'-0", I'm 5'7" ~145lbs, I think just what I need for my breaks when it is as big as it gets: hurricane stuff, winter swell. And I think at that length it allowed for some maneuverability vs. a longer sized.
-and yeah the current was ripping, no idea where the waves are coming from, looking good again today.

Wind was honking offshore, holding the HPSB up whereas the Padillac got me over the ledge, a couple of times too late, with some good poundings, but overall the board felt great.
-that rail line, when making the drop, into that arching bottom turn so money!

It was a YOLO and really happy with it.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Are the Paddies glassed heavier? 66/6? 64/6? Lightweight becomes a liability in bigger waves unless it's perfect.
define bigger.

while i agree that mass certainly helps stability at high speeds, design is equally, if not more important.

i sent it on a smaller (7-7) stretch buzzgun. eps blank, 5/16 bamboo stringer, epoxy 666 glasstheshitoutofit glassing. doesnt feel hefty.

gets down the face no problem and handles high speed encounters with ribs and cross chop like a champ. not what you'd expect from an eps/epoxy build.

i attribute the reverse vee entry and concave forward deck design in keeping the nose down where it belongs

padillacs look good too on the face but i havent taken the time to look closely at the design. they are definitely heavier when similarly sized to my stretch though.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
while i agree that mass certainly helps stability at high speeds, design is equally, if not more important.
I have no argument with that.

i attribute the reverse vee entry and concave forward deck design in keeping the nose down where it belongs
Reverse vee entry? So concave bottom in the nose, but with flat panels? How far back from the nose does that continue?

Concave forward deck design? So scooped out deck?

You probably know Zen Del Rio? I remember him telling me vee in the nose is really good on guns, for cutting through the chop and for directional stability. Zen makes some nice guns. I had a six ten Zen (always liked the way it sounds saying that) that was my most magic board. I rode that in waist high to whatever I could handle. I rode it until it turned deep brown (I called it a sun tan). I rode it until the deck had 1/2" deep denting. I rode it even after the deck delammed and I reglassed it. But at that point it finally lost some of the magic. I gifted it to some stoked groms in Mexico. I like thinking it's still being surfed somewhere.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
convex entry. i think it gets to as reverse because vee is generally something you see in the tail as opposed to the tail.

Reactions: Maz

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I have no argument with that.

Reverse vee entry? So concave bottom in the nose, but with flat panels? How far back from the nose does that continue?

Concave forward deck design? So scooped out deck?

You probably know Zen Del Rio? I remember him telling me vee in the nose is really good on guns, for cutting through the chop and for directional stability. Zen makes some nice guns. I had a six ten Zen (always liked the way it sounds saying that) that was my most magic board. I rode that in waist high to whatever I could handle. I rode it until it turned deep brown (I called it a sun tan). I rode it until the deck had 1/2" deep denting. I rode it even after the deck delammed and I reglassed it. But at that point it finally lost some of the magic. I gifted it to some stoked groms in Mexico. I like thinking it's still being surfed somewhere.
I had a 7'10" Denny Smith with V in the nose. He described it the same way. Man that board was the bomb on bigger days. It was my favorite ride at the Overhead. :bowdown:

Reactions: One-Off

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm guessing 666/66, or 664/64 on the 8'0+. Maybe Jon @Pyzelsurfboards will chime in?
HEY! Most stock or even custom Padis are glassed 2x6 deck and 6 bottom. We glass the big ones (Wiamea/Jaws/Mavs/etc.) 2x6 deck and 2x6 bottom. On rare occasions we do 3x6 decks for people who like super heavy boards (mostly Jaws riders). Stringers in boards over 9'6'' are 1/2 solid Basswood and weigh a sh!t ton on their own.