PA Special Election

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
GDaddy said:
That's right up there with "the winning Democrat ran like a Republican", which he didn't.
That’s got to take the cake for the worst spin I’ve ever heard. What are the odds Paul Ryan actually believes it? If he does he’s in for a very rude awakening this fall (as he might be even if he does play his cards correctly.)

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
If they continue to be stupid they get what they get. And Trump seems to be doing his level best to stab the entire red bench right in the back. So maybe it doesn't even matter how much worse they make things for themselves.

That's the problem with unified government - it will always run to excess.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I want to move to Wisconsin just to vote against Paul Ryan.

could we just put Pelosi and Ryan's heads on pikes and call it even?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
afoaf said:
the attendance, or lack thereof, in this thread is telling...
You guys are getting all excited about something that none of us were following and none of us care about. Autoprax probably has some meaningless psychobabble he can contribute to describe the disappointment you feel over your expectation for others to share your enthusiasm for this topic.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
GromsDad said:
afoaf said:
the attendance, or lack thereof, in this thread is telling...
all excited about something that none of us were following and none of us care about.

GOP spent $12 million in PA-18. Obviously someone cared.

https://www.nbcnews.com/card/ad-spending-expected-top-12-million-pa-18-special-n853591

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Trump is now trying to take credit for Lambs win, can this get anymore absurd?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
GromsDad said:
Autoprax probably has some meaningless psychobabble

One thing I stress with my students is to avoid criticizing what they don't understand.

You just don't like what I say because understanding would take effortful thinking and increasing your awareness, which is something you have maladapted to avoiding, due to faulty neural priming.

I want to stress now that you are not a slave to your automatic thinking.

But to break the chains will come at a cost.

Are you willing to pay?

Start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvagal_theory

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
You guys are getting all excited about something that none of us were following and none of us care about
said without the least hint of self awareness or irony....

post another Hillary thread!

Democrats are flipping seats in DEEP RED territory. GOP is not doing the same anywhere
to balance out the loss.

you don't care that the liberals are on ascent and here to take your guns and kill your babies?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Autoprax said:
The liberals should kill the conservative babies with the confiscated guns?
only after they've cuckolded the conservative fathers with ethnic bulls

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
From what I've been hearing about this Dem in PA, is that he's more conservative than the Repub he ran against? :shrug:

Could be wrong, but I don't follow southwest PA localized Congress seat politics much.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Surfdog said:
From what I've been hearing about this Dem in PA, is that he's more conservative than the Repub he ran against? :shrug:

Could be wrong, but I don't follow southwest PA localized Congress seat politics much.
Do you believe everything you read in your preferred media sources without questioning it? Jesus.

Yes, this was Paul Ryan's excuse. No, Lamb was not running on a conservative platform unless you consider universal healthcare and a stance against Trump tax cuts to be conservative these days :shrug:

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Surfdog said:

he's pro choice. that's liberal to you conservatives

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Yeah, that's the party talking line (read: excuse). Like most things out of Trump's mouth though, it's pretty much bullshit. Although the guy is not in the Bernie wing of the party by a long shot:

Lamb ran as a “conservative,” House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) said Wednesday.

President Trump went even further later that day: “The young man last night that ran, he said, ‘Oh, I’m like Trump. Second Amendment, everything. I love the tax cuts, everything.’ He ran on that basis,” Trump said Wednesday night at a private fundraiser. “He ran on a campaign that said very nice things about me. I said, ‘Is he a Republican? He sounds like a Republican to me.’ ”

Except, a few things are wrong with the reasoning of both men:

Lamb didn’t run as a Republican, as a conservative, or as a Trumpian candidate.

Lamb absolutely ran as a conservative Democrat, but that is far from being an actual conservative. To wit:

Lamb wants to keep the Affordable Care Act in place. His opponent, Rick Saccone, wants it repealed.

Lamb blasted the GOP tax plan as “giveaway” to the rich. His opponent supports the plan.

Lamb said that he personally opposes abortion but that he doesn't think the right to have one should be taken away. His opponent flatly opposes abortion rights.

Lamb wants to strengthen background checks for gun sales, although he doesn't think there should be new restrictions on guns.

Lamb supports Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminum, even though GOP leaders including Ryan oppose them.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/03/15/say-it-with-me-donald-trump-and-paul-ryan-conor-lamb-did-not-run-as-a-conservative/?utm_term=.af2f833fc5ce

I'd say the last point is arguable and his other defining "conservative" trait was talking sh!t about Pelosi. But he's not voting with Republicans and his win in a part of the state that Trump won by 20% and that Trump gave a huge gift to right before the vote is definitely a bad sign for the GOP.

Just another day of Trump and Paul Ryan selling lies and conservative media pushing them on the masses. You need better new sources. :shrug:

MAGA.