Ordered same board model but new board has more toe angle on main fins....not happy

dk1973

OTF status
Jun 11, 2011
Ordered another board as a back up to my magic board which works great... favorite board. New board arrives and the two main fins have more toe in angle which I noticed and measured then rode it yesterday and it felt like sh!t. Can feel the drag and feels nothing like my other board. How the fuck does this happen??

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
How the fook does this happen??
If I had to guess (since this is the surf industry) this board was delivered ~8 weeks after the company told you it would be done yet you are wondering how they could fuck up the fin cant? The hiring process isn't that rigorous, and it seems like 99 times out of 100 the folks that are hired aren't qualified to work at 7-11.

To work around it, maybe you can find a fin set with more/less cant to bring it more in line with your old board?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Ordered another board as a back up to my magic board which works great... favorite board. New board arrives and the two main fins have more toe in angle which I noticed and measured then rode it yesterday and it felt like sh!t. Can feel the drag and feels nothing like my other board. How the fook does this happen??
whoz the shaper or designer and whatz the boar?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That's the typical way the customer deals with this and you see the same attitude here all the time.

That's why it happens over and over.

Personally I would take the board back, say it surfs like dogshit and point the cant out to the shaper.

At that point the shaper should offer to make right on the product.

If not, move on to plan B.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Havoc

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I had that happen once. I cut 8” off the nose. That fixed the toe in right up. Can’t tell you if it went better because right after that I gave up surfing and started soaping rails. Soaping is life now.

• Haha
Reactions: Maz

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Ordered another board as a back up to my magic board which works great... favorite board. New board arrives and the two main fins have more toe in angle which I noticed and measured then rode it yesterday and it felt like sh!t. Can feel the drag and feels nothing like my other board. How the fook does this happen??
Shaper put dots wrong place, shaper changed placement, you and shaper had side discussion about fin placement during one order but not both, glasser put fins/boxes wrong place, got overlooked in error before you got it, humans got involved somehow.

You won't find help here unless you say the name of the brand, they read it and then contact you. If it was a Roberts (I can help) or a Pyzel or a CI then someone from them will likely see it. You won't find any other brands regularly active here except their customers, but some do pop up from time to time. In any case, a phone call or seeing in person will get you fastest results. Email works if you can't speak with them but not always fastest way to do things. Pics might be requested.

If you ordered same exact and noticed not same when you got it, did you ride it without talking to shaper/surf shop? If you did talk to them prior, then a resolution should have been made of replacement, trial or acceptance. Trial would be least favored by the business, but it sometimes is offered. After the fact with no convo muddies things up a bit but hopefully if there was an error, they still gladly try to resolve it. Stuff happens from time to time, out of thousands it rarely happens but it does, all brands.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
If it’s FCS II maybe you can grind one side of front tab and the other side of back tab and correct it? Be careful you don’t change the cant while you’re at it.

Reactions: Havoc