Ordered a board for my birthday - SK Dealers choice!

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
So I got a hold of Stu Kenson and asked can you make me a board for my birthday (in a couple months). He asked what do you want? I said I don't know but I'm not paddling very well but my surfing is still pretty good. He said ok give me some time and it will be ready soon. I have no idea what he is going to make me. Many years ago I tried this with Stu and ordered two boards no specs from him while I lived near some soft reef waves but was mainly driving to surf beach breaks every day, and was pretty much riding just thrusters. He made me a 5'6 keel fin fish with glass on fins that he cut and foiled, and a 5'8 double wing swallow tail twinzer with futures. These two boards were so different than anything I was riding at the time, it took me a while to figure out the keel fish (I vividly remember my first wave ever on that board, hopping up with my back foot between the tails of the swallow, my foot slid off the back of the board and doing the splits and then having to swim in) but man I ended up loving that board and it went so well on the reefs around here, and the twinzer is still a go to for me, love the instant speed from that board (not the same one but the same shape redone over the years). I will post pics when it is done and give a ride report. I just hope he doesn't paint it yum yum yellow.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I used to work with a guy who only rode SK's. He had this little egg shape quad model. Ordered it over and over again. About 4" shorter than him, but would ride it in every condition from 1 foot and mushy to double overhead barrels.

Reactions: b.r.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
a lot of people don't realize you can get an amazing custom from absolute gurus for the same or less than most boards off the rack
Or get an amazing custom from an unknown journeyman ghost shaper/glasser, who's seen probably 20,000 boards, for even cheaper.

Sorry, derailing from Stu. Stu makes awesome boards.

Last edited:

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
Btw I don’t recommend this unless (shape me anything you want) you have a history with a shaper who knows how you surf etc. I’ve known Stu since the 1900s lol. . Racer makes a good point. I have a friend who has shaped 1000s of boards for various labels and will make me boards at cost and those are great too. Actually Stu has shaped 10000s for everybody from Canyon to Tudor to JS. So he has that experience too but a different price point.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I’ve been down the well know and journey man shaper route. Quiver split between both now. The benefit of well know is resale value. Your net cost is usually less even though your up front cost higher. I sold a Cambell brothers last week that cost me $80. Bought for 730 and sold for 650.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I’ve been down the well know and journey man shaper route. Quiver split between both now. The benefit of well know is resale value. Your net cost is usually less even though your up front cost higher. I sold a Cambell brothers last week that cost me $80. Bought for 730 and sold for 650.
sortaofa nobrainer. long as you have a bit of capital it easy to demo boutique boards for a year at less than a dollar/session.

assuming you dont trash the fuk out of them of course