**** Official wozzle Rottnest Island event thread ****

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
what are they supposed to do?
I like watching waves ridden well, which IMO is not cramming in two critical turns and getting behind when the wave is makable without the panic to pack in maneuvers .

I'd be happy to watch them surf with style and make every section of every wave.
Can't do a contest like that, though, so .... IDK? :shrug:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I like watching waves ridden well, which IMO is not cramming in two critical turns and getting behind when the wave is makable without the panic to pack in maneuvers .

I'd be happy to watch them surf with style and make every section of every wave.
Can't do a contest like that, though, so .... IDK? :shrug:
Pretty dumb comp based on the clips I saw. Definitely a money furnace.

Reactions: EastCoastBrah

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
looks hard to surf. imagine if the top 32 are struggling to keep up with the average wave there, what the rest of us would be doing at the same spot.

sort of reminds me of an even worse version of impossibles.
So many waves like this around the world.

They photograph great, but really 5/7 of them are unmakeable close-outs.

We have some beach breaks like that, the only redeeming factor is that 2/7 when they stand up, peel perfectly, backlit tube by the sunset... Then? There's nothing like the feeling of surfing them. But, you have to eat many a close out and blown take offs, plus broken boards for that 2/7.

:shrug:

Personally, I am too old for that. To each their own though.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
K, I figured it out.

All we have to do to fix everything here is make Powerful Trimming a core criteria, meaning that you could do a quick flowy top turn and power trim it to the inside bowl for an 8.33 (if done with style. 4.33 for stinkbug stance)

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
when dinos roamed many competitors used dis-similar boards.
who could forget the lazer-zap?

:cool:

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
looks hard to surf. imagine if the top 32 are struggling to keep up with the average wave there, what the rest of us would be doing at the same spot.

sort of reminds me of an even worse version of impossibles.
I was thinking the exact same thing the other day when I was watching it.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
What drives me crazy is that the WSL doesn’t make it clear when they are running men vs women. Put a little box on the screen that says when they are running what. My guess is they want people logging in for the men’s comp to just leave the comp on so the viewership goes up for the women’s.

Reactions: Boneroni

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Great writing by Longtom. As usual, way more entertaining than the event itself. He endures the absurdity so you don't need to...

Reactions: urchined