Feb 23, 2010
PNW
up here we call it myrtlewood.

nice fisher stove you got there.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
This was the end of an outside thanksgiving fire. Mix of white oak, bay laurel and cedar. I mostly burn oak and pine for that’s what’s on my property but had to cut down a diseased bay laurel and was given a bunch of cedar so it’s been going in the pit lately.0B2766AA-8EE6-40AF-B326-A2C815B76430.jpeg

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
If the install guy hadn’t lost his notebook I’d be burning Cedar in my new stove, Pacific something?

Still have way too much to split.
IMG_0163.jpeg

But I have the right tool for the job, things a fucking Viking weapon. Finally had to institute a mandatory steel toe rule when splitting bc tbh I’m lucky to have all my toes. I’m just glad I had fast reflexes.
IMG_0164.jpeg

Gonna try to get a load of some Piñon next. That’s everyone’s favorite in these parts. Smells nice and burns wicked hot.

And speaking of wood and weapons, I just got a prograde saw to be able to tackle some bigger projects this summer and can’t say enough good things about the Husqvarna 562xp.
The saw is family
IMG_0092.jpeg

Last edited:

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
It's SoCal. If I get too cold in the house, I throw on a sweatshirt.

However, back when I worked for the Kern County Fire Department, I was stationed on the Grapevine for 10 years. We had a wood burning stove in the station and we never bought wood.
When the guys on the hand crews would go out and do brush clearance during the winter, they'd come back with cords of oak.
Made the station smell great and we made some killer BBQ over oak coals.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Still burning white oak from this pile...my friend UBOT on the right helps a lot with firewood processing, holds logs up off the ground for cutting, lifts heavy rounds onto my old splitter. Burning it in a Lopi Liberty stove and it was fired up this morning, it was 27° out. Next thing I gotta do is put a water jacket in the stove for endless hot water when the stove is going.
2DBjS5GwQVqfcp4eKFfvrw.jpg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Eucalyptus from a giant old tree in my front yard that we unfortunately had to cut down last year because it was endangering the house.
Ugh. My parents have one near their shop and I am not looking forward to dealing with it in the next couple years. Its sort of leaning away but its got some nasty twists and stuff going on. Not sure if I got the skills to take it out myself.

Around here we mostly burn douglas fir and white cedar. Most of the hardwoods are a little further inland although we do get the occasional myrtle or tan oak. Most of the tan oak have sudden oak death and are dying.

Got a milwaukee battery powered saw this year and I love it so far. Cuts great for its size. Quiet. No gas to screw around with. No yanking to start it, just pick it up and zip through some branches and then set it back down. Still no match for the stihl 461 when dropping big trees or cutting endless firewood but for everything else its great.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Well, I work for a lumber company so pretty much Douglas fir because it's free but that stuff is green and pops and stinks after the fire goes out so I don't really burn that any more.

I have to go and buy it now so I like the Oak a lot but the Orange wood is cheaper and burns really good too.

The best thing about the hardwood is it burns clean and there is only some white ash after it's done burning.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
good call. wasnt on the top of the stack but i pulled some out for tonight

View attachment 167448
Arbutus menziesii aka pacific madrone, madrone

standing dead madrone makes the best firewood. burns hot clean and long time for you baby.
good hardwood. thanks Doc. I was just about to ask you what other types of faggots you were throwing on the fire.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
good call. wasnt on the top of the stack but i pulled some out for tonight

View attachment 167448
Arbutus menziesii aka pacific madrone, madrone

standing dead madrone makes the best firewood. burns hot clean and long time for you baby.
My usual fare would normally include madrone but I just didn't find it this year. But my white oak is really dry so it burns really hot. And I agree though, madrone is great.