*** Official Western Australia Margaret River Pro Contest Thread ***

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Doing airs has cost JJF hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost earnings, one or two World Titles(at least) and earned him two knee reconstructions, as well as busted ankles.

You'd be a pretty dumb coach not to realise that.
Of course. Every other pro surfer spends hours at the gym training everyday. JJF just wants to surf. And that's awesome, but maybe he should just join his brother.

• Haha
Reactions: teeroi

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Kelly’s baby due in 3 months. Right before Fiji. Maybe WC for Tahiti if forecast looks good. Tahiti is next month 22nd.

Jordy did an inverted air reverse with two other fin release slides got a 6.77. Unless it’s an Italo backside full rotor or Toledos double alley-oops airs aren’t scoring like before.
Kelly himself said he applied for a Fiji wildcard. There will be two months left by the time we get to Fiji, he has plenty of time, not to mention he can get in any plane, any time, whatever the cost (and he will probably fly first too). Unless his baby comes early we should see him at Fiji (considering they give him the wildcard).

As far as Jordy... didn't watch honestly... but in case it was a good air and some nice fin slides, that actually illustrates my point perfectly.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Of course. Every other pro surfer spends hours at the gym training everyday. JJF just wants to surf. And that's awesome, but maybe he should just join his brother.
Im guessing this is an English as a secondary language. John saying he just wants to surf means he was hoping for heats with more waves so he can just surf. Not wait around all heat and only catch 2 waves. He mentioned his last few events his heats were wave starved.

Ross joined the commentary team for a heat. Eli vs Jake. He mentioned what he told John and said the same thing about Eli. Basically win the heat. Build house. Lock in a solid foundation. Ross said it was working for Eli on a wave that didn’t offer him a ramp but he did two solid turns instead. Eli lost by fractions. It was because Jake was on the better waves.

Ross isn’t telling John to dumb down his surfing he’s telling him how to win heats the way the judging is. Even Caio did a big air reverse as his first turn on a set and got a 6. Jack did a full rotor got an 8.5. John still had highest heat total of the round by riding only 2 waves. And doing turns.

John’s turns gets him 8’s and 9’s. EE turns gets him 8’s and 9’s. Griff cut Kelly with turns. John’s heat was strong offshore not the best conditions for airs anyway. If his heat was later when it was side onshore I’m sure airs would be in the mix.

Coach to what the judges score not to what an ADHD viewer and the rest of Brazil want scored higher. Haha.

By the way if I heard correct Kelly’s son is due in 3 months. Fiji is in August which is 4 months away.

Last edited:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Im guessing this is an English as a secondary language. John saying he just wants to surf means he was hoping for heats with more waves so he can just surf. Not wait around all heat and only catch 2 waves. He mentioned his last few events his heats were wave starved.

Ross joined the commentary team for a heat. Eli vs Jake. He mentioned what he told John and said the same thing about Eli. Basically win the heat. Build house. Lock in a solid foundation. Ross said it was working for Eli on a wave that didn’t offer him a ramp but he did two solid turns instead. Eli lost by fractions. It was because Jake was on the better waves.

Ross isn’t telling John to dumb down his surfing he’s telling him how to win heats the way the judging is. Even Caio did a big air reverse as his first turn on a set and got a 6.

John’s turns gets him 8’s and 9’s. EE turns gets him 8’s and 9’s. Griff cut Kelly with turns. John’s heat was strong offshore not the best conditions for airs anyway. If his heat was later when it was side onshore I’m sure airs would be in the mix.

Coach to what the judges score not to what an ADHD viewer and the rest of Brazil want scored higher. Haha.

By the way if I heard correct Kelly’s son is due in 3 months. Fiji is in August which is 4 months away.
Jeez, it's not an English as second language thing, I wasn't referring to his interview. I was referring to his entire existence as a surfer since the beginning of time. His training has always been more surfing. Sure he did start to train after his first serious injury. After.

Also, thank you for this post. You keep making good examples about what I'm complaining about:

"he’s telling him how to win heats the way the judging is."
"Coach to what the judges score"

ADHD viewer out... for some reason that felt low dude. Maybe you were being nice and that may have been some English as a second language thing. Whatever.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonardo and teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Jeez, it's not an English as second language thing, I wasn't referring to his interview. I was referring to his entire existence as a surfer since the beginning of time. His training has always been more surfing. Sure he did start to train after his first serious injury. After.

Also, thank you for this post. You keep making good examples about what I'm complaining about:

"he’s telling him how to win heats the way the judging is."
"Coach to what the judges score"

ADHD viewer out... for some reason that felt low dude. Maybe you were being nice and that may have been some English as a second language thing. Whatever.
Here’s another low one duu. I read in a past post of yours you rarely surf overhead waves. Then how would you know how hard it is to do a John turn in DOH wave.

Whatever. Haha.

Nah. For some reason all your complaints irritate me. Of course I’d love to see John go ham like his win in Portugal and surf a heat like a video section but that isn’t how he normally wins a heat. I’d also like to see the champ crowned by points earned at all events. Not a couple of heats at Trestles. But it is what it is.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Kelly’s baby due in 3 months. Right before Fiji. Maybe WC for Tahiti if forecast looks good. Tahiti is next month 22nd.

Jordy did an inverted air reverse with two other fin release slides got a 6.77. Unless it’s an Italo backside full rotor or Toledos double alley-oops airs aren’t scoring like before.
At this venue anyway.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
At this venue anyway.
Yeah man. And I like that.
I think a very technical, stylish air should be rewarded the same as a very technical, stylish carve. Only a few can do such an air (yago, jjf, medina, griffin, ...?). Only a few can do such a carve (john and ethan, maybe robo or jordy in their prime).
And (by the ct standard of course) normal airs , those ugly air reverses that guys do in their sleep, meh barrel rides, and normal carves should all be rewarded "the same" - very low.
I believe judging seems to be going this way. Which is good, right?

Reactions: freeride76

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Someone said it was next month and I took their word for it. They probably meant Teahupoo. Kelly did say he applied for a Fiji wildcard though.

Last edited:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Yeah, you made that very clear. I never disrespected you though. I may be annoying but you had never struck as an asshole until now, not even close. My own damn fault I guess.
Yeah. I broke my promise I made to myself. Post about surfing. Keep it fun and funny. Tease if it’s funny and the guy has a sense of humor.

I’ll put myself on timeout. Social media, etc will only get worse with election year and wars and crap. Better to spend my energy at work and with fam and surfing and skating.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Yeah. I broke my promise I made to myself. Post about surfing. Keep it fun and funny. Tease if it’s funny and the guy has a sense of humor.

I’ll put myself on timeout. Social media, etc will only get worse with election year and wars and crap. Better to spend my energy at work and with fam and surfing and skating.
I knew you weren't an asshole (which is why I deleted the above soon after posting, but you were quicker). I'll shut up about scoring.

Reactions: Boneroni