*** Official Western Australia Margaret River Pro Contest Thread ***

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
You ever watch the NBA. Steph Curry does the breakaway 3. Instead of going for a slam dunk he’ll pull up at the arc and shoot a 3. Dunks are pretty exciting, crowd goes nuts. Still only worth 2 points.
Shooting a 3 pointer is possibly harder for them than going for a dunk. It's further away, more difficult, worth more points. Good airs are more difficult than most turns, it's simple math. Not to mention riskier.

I know we all have different opinions, but I think riskier, harder moves should earn more points 100% of the time. And if you can add some variety and do a bit of everything, even more points.

John pulls some of the best airs ever and it's sad to know his coach advises against it. I barely remember his last air in competition... can he still pull them off?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I'm bothered by that interview with Ross Williams where he said he advises John to keep the fins in the water... don't slide the fins, don't try airs, you get good scores just doing turns... basically, "don't be progressive, surf safe".

Fuck that! I wanna see rail game, I wanna see fins sliding, I wanna see insane airs. The WSL is killing the progression of the sport, that much is very clear. Yes, we all love excellent rail surfing... fuck it, if a crazy air is harder and riskier, it should be better rewarded... with the WSL doing the opposite, the sport is becoming stale. Ethan is awesome, but the best surfers were doing very similar turns back in the 90's. Keep them, but add more.
Careful. The guys who hate twirlybirds won’t take kindly to your opinion.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Jeez. You do know that what a coach says to the public may not be what he tells his athletes.

At Bells John got a wave right away scored a 7.67 and tried to back it up going for airs. Then he sat for 20 minutes needing a 4.33. If he just finished one of those early waves he might’ve beat Jazz Hands Madson.

Bet the game plan changes next round when John gets Gabby.

Reactions: bruhdakine

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Jeez. You do know that what a coach says to the public may not be what he tells his athletes.

At Bells John got a wave right away scored a 7.67 and tried to back it up going for airs. Then he sat for 20 minutes needing a 4.33. If he just finished one of those early waves he might’ve beat Jazz Hands Madson.

Bet the game plan changes next round when John gets Gabby.
How am I supposed to know he purposely lies to the public? I'm kinda naive, when people tell me stuff I tend to believe it.

John made a mistake at Bells. Building a base score before going for airs is different than avoiding airs altogether, which is what I got from Ross's interview.

My guess is John is gonna continuously go for that layback and those drawn out cutbacks against Medina and he is going to win.

• Haha
Reactions: sh3 and teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Kelly’s baby due in 3 months. Right before Fiji. Maybe WC for Tahiti if forecast looks good. Tahiti is next month 22nd.

Jordy did an inverted air reverse with two other fin release slides got a 6.77. Unless it’s an Italo backside full rotor or Toledos double alley-oops airs aren’t scoring like before.