*** Official Western Australia Margaret River Pro Contest Thread ***

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
1681488194940.png

Event: Western Australia Margaret River Pro (WSL Championship Tour, Stop 5 of 10)
Window: April 20-30, 2023
Web: https://www.worldsurfleague.com/events/2023/ct/70/western-australia-margaret-river-pro/main
2022 Champions: Isabella Nichols and Jack Robinson
Notes: Many contestants will be desperately trying to stay above the mid-season cutline. After this contest the mens field will be pared from 36 to 24, and the women 18 to 12.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshua2415

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
Forecast is not so great yet again. The day before the event... "4/19: 6-10 ft. Classic E winds and overhead high surf resulting in a day to set the alarms for. If everything goes to plan this will be a memorable day in the SW."

Reactions: sponge

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Does anyone remember the old Surfer mag article when the Margaret River contest was held in huge surf? I vaguely remember one of the captions saying something like, "It was tossing on the inside, around 15 feet." Believe it was the 1990 event where Barton Lynch won over Jeff Booth.

Think the photos showed all lefts. I didn't realize you could go right, which is how many of the current pros go. Think jetski support has helped get riders back to the lineup.

Am I remembering this all wrong?

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Official Surfline Forecast: Head Plus For Day 1 Bigger Swell On The Way With Windows Of Favorable Wind
WSLTuesday, April 18, 2023
The Western Australian Margaret River Pro will see southwest well settle into the head high plus range at Main Break on day 1 with clean conditions early under east-northeast offshore flow. Wind turns northerly through the morning with northwest flow in the afternoon before easing. That will add some texture and bump, especially on the left. A fresh southwest swell will build Friday, steadily rising from head high plus in the morning to several feet overhead by the afternoon with size due to peak on Saturday with sets into the double overhead range when looks especially late on Friday and Saturday will see fare will offer easterly winds in the morning before southerly wind develops for some texture and bump in the afternoon. Sunday may have a brief window early, but rising southwest onshore flow is expected to develop through the morning with cranky southerly wind Monday as a solid south-southwest swell tops out the second half. The window does show promise for more southwest swells and favorable winds. Stop by Surfline for the latest forecast details.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Reactions: Joshua2415

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
Sorry I missed the call. Are they strictly running women or are mens heats next? Surf looks super fun.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
tune in in the morning for mens heat analyzer. dont waste time watching em wait for waves late tonight

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
tune in in the morning for mens heat analyzer. dont waste time watching em wait for waves late tonight
I like the long version as long as it's live. If not live, condensed heats all day. I also enjoy Ronnie Blakeys commentary. I hope he gets back on tour outside of Oz.