*** Official The Eddie Big Wave Invitational Thread ***

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
At The Almost Eddie on 1/28/1998, the peak buoy reading was 23 ft 25 sec. Had to shut down.

Funny, I wrote had to park by Alligators by 9:30am. I'm sure it is really bad right now 5am.

Good luck and be careful all. I'm heading Westside for some wrap.
I remember the lifeguards yelling at me that the buoy was 28 feet and that nobody would paddle out with the buoy that big. I looked up the historical buoy data, after the 23 ft 25 sec reading there was a 8.37 m 20 sec. 8.37 meters is 27.5 feet.

• Wow
Reactions: sponge

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
27.6 @ 19 this morning. Waimea cam is light enough now to see the waves. Set just came through, didn't quite close out the bay, but it's fucken big.

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
For those of you who have surfed Waimea on a big day, how is the paddle out and coming back in? Seems like mistiming either could lead to a cycle through the dreaded shorebreak.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
For those of you who have surfed Waimea on a big day, how is the paddle out and coming back in? Seems like mistiming either could lead to a cycle through the dreaded shorebreak.
Yes, the current pulls to jump rock side of the bay, where you don't want to be. My rule was if you got to in front of the lifeguard stand and I was still ducking waves, turn around and try again.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
R1 HEAT 2
Emily Erickson, Billy Kemper, Ian Walsh, Josh Moniz, Kohl Christensen, Makuakai Rothman, Nathan Florence, Ross Clarke-Jones

R1 HEAT 3
Justine Dupont, Keala Kennely, Eli Olson, Jake Maki, Kai Lenny, Landon McNamara, Nic Von Rupp, Taio Shipman

R1 HEAT 4
Makani Adric, Ezekiel Lau, Jamie O’Brien, Keali’i Mamala, Lucas Chianca, Mason Ho, Peter Mel, Tikanui Smith

R1 HEAT 5
Paige Alms, Grant Twiggy Baker, Jamie Mitchell, Kelly Slater, Luke Shepardson, Michael Ho, Ramon Navarro, Tyler Larronde

R2 HEAT 1
Andrea Moller, Aaron Gold, Greg Long, John John Florence, Eli Olson, Jake Maki, Kai Lenny, Landon McNamara

R2 HEAT 2
Emily Erickson, Koa Rothman, Mark Healey, Nathan Fletcher, Nic Von Rupp, Taio Shipman, Ezekiel Lau, Jamie O’Brien

R2 HEAT 3
Justine Dupont, Keala Kennelly, Shane Dorian, Billy Kemper, Keali’i Mamala, Lucas Chianca, Mason Ho, Peter Mel

R2 HEAT 4
Makani Adric, Ian Walsh, Josh Moniz, Kohl Christensen, Tikanui Smith, Grant Twiggy Baker, Jamie Mitchell, Kelly Slater

R2 HEAT 5
Paige Alms, Makuakai Rothman, Nathan Florence, Ross Clark-Jones, Luke Shepardson, Michael Ho, Ramon Navarro, Tyler Larronde

Last edited:
Reactions: silentbutdeadly