*** Official Surf City El Salvador Pro Contest Thread (WSL, not the ISA event) ***

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Didn’t ask Jackson why he turned it down.

So any assumption I make would be as uninformed as any of you alls.

But if we’re making assumptions I’d guess is that he’s betting on himself like Callum. If you sign a deal with a wetsuit company you might not be attractive to a company that wants you head to toe. It’s a big bet cause looks like sponsorship money is drying up with all the corporate takeovers of the bigger brands.

Bigger brands are dropping or letting the contracts run out on the B,C level pros might be a better use of that promo budget if they pick up a guy on the CT making heats.
Catch 22. But not everyone gets a share.

• Sad
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
It's a pretty small window to make money. So many of these guys are easy to take advantage of due to the fact that they have been coddled and are largely uneducated- at least in a formal sense. Most have only been focusing on surfing since they were wee lads. Look at Seabass- he was the flavor of the month for about 2-3 years, now you never hear anything about him. I seriously doubt he made life changing money over that short period of time.

That said I am glad Ian is betting on himself. Hopefully he has good people that understand the business side of things advising him.

Reactions: Boneroni

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I've been very close to some of Callum's new sponsorship deals.

Great manager and almost all of the money has come from outside the surf industry.

Callum has done awesome.
Good to hear Callums bet is paying off. Hopefully it will for Ian. If he keeps making heats Rookie of the year is a good title to claim.

Reactions: Boneroni

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Check this clip out of PRod. He’s a pro skater with 2 million followers on IG. This is how pros with a big social media following get paid.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Mon 6/12: Contest is OFF for today. Will try again tomorrow.

Men
Semi 1: Gentil vs Toledo
Semi 2: Colapinto vs O'Brien

Women
Semi 1: Wright vs Gilmore
Semi 2: Moore vs Marks

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
I am pretty sure Barron M. said he used two 7' 7"'s. I still have trouble believing that.

• Haha
Reactions: sh3

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I can't state this for a fact, but I don't think Ian Gentil is too worried about money.

But I kind of assume every outer island kid with transplant parents has some cushion.
Your’re probably right his parents are Brazilian. My FS team got hammered too but I still have a chance to win this event if Griff beats LOB.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Everyone on FS got fried. JJ losing early, Medina losing, Italo losing, ... the blue shirts have generally been on a tear this event. It's awesome to see. I only have Griffin left, but I'd still love to see Ian Gentil vs. Liam O'Brien in the final.

And Baron is using a Sharpeye '77' model. It's Felipe's preferred rocker/design. it's not a 7'7" board. :roflmao:

Last point... seems like riding a quad would've served more than one surfer better at this wave. It just ran off without them more than once. Never been myself, so this is pure speculation.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Everyone on FS got fried. JJ losing early, Medina losing, Italo losing, ... the blue shirts have generally been on a tear this event. It's awesome to see. I only have Griffin left, but I'd still love to see Ian Gentil vs. Liam O'Brien in the final.

And Baron is using a Sharpeye '77' model. It's Felipe's preferred rocker/design. it's not a 7'7" board. :roflmao:

Last point... seems like riding a quad would've served more than one surfer better at this wave. It just ran off without them more than once. Never been myself, so this is pure speculation.
I went there last year with Timmy and its a wave that bends away from you. You have to be selective on which ones to take, or you can end up on very shallow rocks. The big sets from the top of the point were the ones. The inside ones that look like you could snag on the inside put you on the rocks.

Also, when I went i was pretty good size and that wave has a lot of power. Very mushy, but powerful. I think the thruster provides more control.

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
I am pretty sure Barron M. said he used two 7' 7"'s. I still have trouble believing that.
I think that's the board model. Sharpeye 77.
Thanks guys. I got thrown off when he said they had different rockers.

BTW: to any longtime Cabo guys, Did they remove that big rock at Zippers? (The contest one C. Fletcher Ollied over about 20+ years ago.)

i_ride_spinnaz

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 19, 2020
Liam O shredding so far this event. Nice to see him get some momentum and surf with confidence. Ozzie point surfers have the best style.
I'm stoked to see him do well after previously qualifying and then having to sit out, requalify due to injury. Would be stoked to see Ramzi do the same

Reactions: Aruka and Boneroni

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
The talk about "Mama Roca" made me remember when I waned to see sunny skies & warm water for a few minutes on the Surfline's Cabo cams, the rock I remembered was not visible. I am all for it being removed, (and others). I had never before heard of a spot enhancement where the reef is altered purely for surfing.

I never liked Surfrider Foundation's opposition to spot enhancement. It should not be out of the question to put 1-2% of the costs of the Dana Pt Harbor into manicuring the area at the tip that is exposed to swell, & semi-protected from the PM wind. We lost 4 spots to that harbor.

5:23 "King of the Rock" 22:50 surfing w/ rock