***Official Spa Thread***

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Staying with the home spa topic -

I have been considering a 2-person home spa and need to research further. Are infrared really that safe? And would I need a dedicated 15 or 20 amp to power the spa? I am leaning towards a Finnish-style spa with steam - and they appear "safer" from an uneducated vantage point.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I swear by my infrared sauna, use it nearly every day
I have this one. You just plug it into a normal outlet. no steam, just infrared heat
1704745054330.png

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Be careful buying used. I know two people who bought tubs that were supposed to work, spent a fortune moving it, to find out it needed considerable work. the wives were not happy. In the end barely saved compared to the cost new. Some hold your breath gremlins pop up every so often, too.

I know someone else who wasn’t afraid to spend on new, loves his setup. Swears by the standalone hot tub over in ground (he has both now) etc.

id like to add a sauna one day but given we are in San Diego, the wife will just tell me to sit outside July-November.

its a bit of a learning curve how to keep these things clean. Any trunks that have been in the ocean better stay out of your tub unless you want to regularly chem it hard like a community pool.

Reactions: jkb

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
When I was at Poly, the hot tubs at Sycamore Springs in Avila were very popular place to take a girl on a date for some frolicking. Grossed me out so I never went, but incredible location for some fun.

:dancing:

View attachment 170095

View attachment 170096
We stay there at least twice a year. Their mineral water is great and you get a private tub with your room so you can fill it with fresh non bodily fluid contaminated water. Place is showing it's age but still a nice place to stay on the Central Coast.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Saunas are awesome. We bought a used barrel sauna with an electric stove off a guy on Craigslist a few years back and love it. Not a big fan of the IR saunas as it is a different heat but can see the usefulness if you have a tight space.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
wait, i thought infrared is safe? Have i been cooking myself?

I'm probably delicious

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
got a 4 person hot springs $5K new 3yrs ago
like its been said
maintain the water clean it 4 times yr
and its good
need it up here
its 37 degrees, raining, and all around miserable right now

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I porked a Spanish foreign exchange student in the jacuzzi at my parents house when I was home from college for the summer.
I thought everything was going great but found out the next day that the folks were peaking out the curtains and saw everything.
My Dad wasn't even giving me high fives. He was "concerned" about my behavior. LOL.

edit: worth mentioning is that she didn't speak any english and my spanish was for sh!t at that time. Good times.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
We've had hot tubs for about 30 years now and I've learned a few things during this time. Never buy a used tub. Period. Always keep up the maintenence. Shock, chems, and always rinse off before entering. Especially if you've excercised or surfed. That ocean residue mixed with your own body oils will fVck with the balance. Switch out the water every six months if used regularly and don't forget to clean the filter either. After a while you'll get into a rythym and it becomes easy to stay on top of it.
We have a four person Marquis and it's a little tempermental when used by more than 2 people. Our last spa was a six person and it was really easy to keep balanced. I've hear that bromine is easy to keep balanced and even easier on your skin so I've decided to switch the next time we empty it.

Reactions: jkb and sdsrfr