*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
While opening day was tempting, not going to Kirkwood for 6-12" base (generous) and 3 runs.

Same deal with Mammoth - really need that 72-84" base before it's really even doable.

Snow is falling over next couple weeks but the accumulation is sister-kiss equivalent.
Mammoth is only man-made. Theres no real snow. Got a Christmas Tree high above Bridgeport. Drove to Carson City yesterday. No snow yet. Over by Twin Lakes above Bridgeport there is. Sonora pass there is up high. Looking at Monday the 18th to start. Id hate to see all the water of last year negated by lack of snow tjis yearIMG_2511.jpeg

Last edited:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
great weekend. totally in the zone and skiing the soft stuff better than ever. camped out saturday and woke in the middle of the night to the sound of the wind howling through the high mountain passes like i've never heard before. sounded like a cross between a jet and a noisy river. awesome to listen to while curled up snug and warm in my tent.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
While opening day was tempting, not going to Kirkwood for 6-12" base (generous) and 3 runs.

Same deal with Mammoth - really need that 72-84" base before it's really even doable.

Snow is falling over next couple weeks but the accumulation is sister-kiss equivalent.
We now have enough lifts spinning and groomers to keep me occupied that my first day of the season is inevitable this week if to do nothing else than ride the chairlifts. I love riding chairlifts.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
We now have enough lifts spinning and groomers to keep me occupied that my first day of the season is inevitable this week if to do nothing else than ride the chairlifts. I love riding chairlifts.
Stay away from the Friday+weekends. Its stupid.
Today
IMG_2520.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: One-Off

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The top looks doable - is it open? Have done Cornice/Dropouts (maybe not Dropout 0.5) and others many times when it looks like that. Although I can see them trying to conserve whatever base they have.

Bring the rock and/or park board! :shaka:

OneBadShredda

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2002
The top looks doable - is it open? Have done Cornice/Dropouts (maybe not Dropout 0.5) and others many times when it looks like that. Although I can see them trying to conserve whatever base they have.

Bring the rock and/or park board! :shaka:
I did a run off the top last Saturday. Just the Cornice was open. It was surprising how good snow was...even before the sun hit it. Overall, the snow was much better than expected on all the open runs...which were only a few.

Reactions: Kento

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
my youngest son and his friend were on their way home from boarding yesterday and got to put their back country and wilderness first responder skills to work rescuing a truck driver who put his rig over the edge coming down from monarch pass.

they descended a 50 degree slope, checked out the driver, determined he was basically ok and pulled him out of his cab, then fire dept showed up and threw ropes down to them and pulled them up. he was stoked that the pros stayed up top instead of attempting a descent and kicking a bunch of sh!t loose down onto their heads.

super fucking proud papa right here. that puts my boys into a tie with one wilderness rescue each.

:jamon:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
hey, @Chocki , what do use for gogs?

i been using the outdoormaster pro for about 3 years now. LOVE them. but i ordered up some replacement lenses and they aren't nearly as quality as the original. significant rippling optical distortion like you'd get if you looked through glass with water dripping down it. the original lens i got was very near optical perfection.

i really dig good optics for days like today.

go.patrol.girl.png

better.optics.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
hey, @Chocki , what do use for gogs?

i been using the outdoormaster pro for about 3 years now. LOVE them. but i ordered up some replacement lenses and they aren't nearly as quality as the original. significant rippling optical distortion like you'd get if you looked through glass with water dripping down it. the original lens i got was very near optical perfection.

i really dig good optics for days like today.

View attachment 168720

View attachment 168721
Looks fast lol.
Ive always rocked Smith goggles since I was youth on skis and still do. Squad XLs bc value/performance along with having a large dome. I also sport a Smith helmet and believe for optimal performance it doesn’t hurt to have them match for fit/ventilation. They could be more scratch resistant but other than that I’ve had them out in every condition and they’ve never fogged or iced up but that could be due to applying Cat Crap a few times a season as much as anything?

But to play devils advocate I have a $20? pair of Oakleys motocross goggles I wear to run the snowblower and Id wear them riding if it came to it

Last edited:
Reactions: crustBrother

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
But to play devils advocate I have a $20? pair of Oakleys motocross goggles I wear to run the snowblower and Id wear them riding if it came to it
same, same. wore wal-mart gogs or wal-mart sunglasses for many, many years and enjoyed every second. could go back to that no problem, but crystal clear vision is dope. will be on the lookout to try some smiths.
Looks fast lol.
unpleasant hard pack down the middle for sure. but there was a ribbon of softer stuff on the side that was nice enough :cool:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
same, same. wore wal-mart gogs or wal-mart sunglasses for many, many years and enjoyed every second. could go back to that no problem, but crystal clear vision is dope. will be on the lookout to try some smiths.

unpleasant hard pack down the middle for sure. but there was a ribbon of softer stuff on the side that was nice enough :cool:
If I had skied or rode now in less demanding conditions (wicked cold) I’d be less particular but fogging and freezing up are not options. You can find them online for under a hundo if you look. I really like their lenses.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
If it’s clarity you want you can get a good lens with the Smith Chromo pop. However, if you want the best lens for ski goggles, you should try the Zeal photo chromatic polarized lens.