*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
It’s not only the straps that break. The frames and baseplates can snap on old bindings. If you’re on a budget you can buy replacement straps to minimize the old plastic but it’s still not 100% I do have a couple 5+ yr old bindings on boards I rarely ride. I should retire those bindings
That's why I got the current set I have. the base where one of the straps connected snapped.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Imho I’d upgrade hardware in the following order… boots, binding and then board. I have some old boards I still love to ride. Give ‘em a good tune and basegrind and it doesn’t matter how chipped up the top sheet is you can ride hard and fast and have a fun day. Boots and bindings are way more important imho. They’re your connection to the board. Boots that have been ridden to mush with packed insoles can be perfectly broken in like an old glove for a while, but I like responsiveness and as I get older comfort is priority number one to staying on the hill longer. And boots are the first point of contact short of socks. Boots can ruin a day fast.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Imho I’d upgrade hardware in the following order… boots, binding and then board.
I have always told people the exact same order of priority.

Cant say I've ever really noticed my older boards becoming less damp or the flex going away, but then again, I'm not stomping landings in Main Park.

Reactions: $kully

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Absolutely - a bad pair of boots will ruin you not just for that day but for future days too.

Agreed about old bindings having a tendency to fail - mine did just that. Current ones seem relatively decent. may not be a bad idea to keep some spare parts from previous bindings if not too old as it's nice to be able to cannibalize them for yourself and others.

Always keep an old board or two even when you upgrade as it's always good to have a rock board.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I have always told people the exact same order of priority.

Cant say I've ever really noticed my older boards becoming less damp or the flex going away, but then again, I'm not stomping landings in Main Park.
New boards are def the hardware to get most excited about, I get why people prioritize it and I’ve definitely fallen into that mode more than once and likely will again. But when I see people riding stupid old boots and bindings these feet ache for them.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
New boards are def the hardware to get most excited about, I get why people prioritize it and I’ve definitely fallen into that mode more than once and likely will again. But when I see people riding stupid old boots and bindings these feet ache for them.
I may lose all the flesh on the inside of my back ankle but damnit at least I'm not losing toenails! Was always good for the big two to bruise and fall off each season for many years.

With boots, Vaseline is your friend. Apply it liberally to any irritative contact points to prevent those blisters from ever happening in the first place. Absolutely mandatory for ski boots back in the day, had forgotten after moving to snowboarding but new boots apparently require it again - had to delve deep into the memory banks for that remedy.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Absolute A++ in Southern Utah last weekend... I cant recall a time we had better overall conditions, and hardly ever have I got to do run after run after run laying fresh tracks the entire way.

Our condo with a direct view of the main black diamond slopes and ski in / ski out in those first buildings lower right.

Eagle.Point.1.jpgEagle.Point.2.jpg

Eagle.Point.3.jpg

My friend who rented the resort for his 40th birthday celebration on the way up the main lift in his 'merica suit. :LOL: ...riding a Lib-Tech Attack Banana I might add.

Eagle.Point.4.jpg

Deep in the POW. Honestly, no drier than what I experience in CA on a regular basis, but I know it CAN be drier snow in Utah and Colorado, it's just not always the case. Still great.

Eagle.Point.5.jpg

Panel after panel of freshies. Highs hit about 30* so borderline face mask Temps, but the sun and almost no wind helped a lot and I never wore one.

Eagle.Point.6.jpg

The resort is normally closed Monday - Thursday, so with maybe 25-30 of us on the slopes for a private opening Thursday, and ample snow the week before, we had an untouched mountain. There were still plenty of stashes left when we rode again on Friday with the general public.

Eagle.Point.7.jpg

One thing holding the Eagle Point Resort back is that it requires a shuttle ride to get from the bottom zone to the top. Once up there, you can drop the whole thing via a tunnel under the highway or a different trail with a highway crossing.

Jones Frontier 161w & Union Falcor Bindings
Eagle.Point.8.jpg

Natural halfpipe up top with plenty of filling. Mmmmmm.

Eagle.Point.9.jpg

Snowboarder crossing. I made it a point to ride the entire boundary of the resort top to bottom. While I didn't ride every single run, I saw everything, which is always a goal of mine when visiting a new place.

Eagle.Point.10.jpg

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I may lose all the flesh on the inside of my back ankle but damnit at least I'm not losing toenails! Was always good for the big two to bruise and fall off each season for many years.

With boots, Vaseline is your friend. Apply it liberally to any irritative contact points to prevent those blisters from ever happening in the first place. Absolutely mandatory for ski boots back in the day, had forgotten after moving to snowboarding but new boots apparently require it again - had to delve deep into the memory banks for that remedy.
Ski boots are the worst. I have some friends I ski with who are very advanced skiers that make everything look easy and effortless. But every one of them will revert to baby mode when they're out there with new boots for the first day.

Reactions: Subway

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
@92122 How do you like the Frontier 161? That is what I am looking to get. How much do you weigh? Size feels good for you?
I'm now having a hard time shaking the low 190 lbs range, but historically am closer to 180lbs and have always ridden slightly bigger boards ranging from 159 - 163. Pure inbounds resort Sowboarder, Freeride, with very little freestyle mixed in.

I learned on Camber, and have always opted for boards in the stiffer flex range. the closest thing I've ever had to any type of rocker is a Flat Camber K2 Slayblade 163w that I still love, and have on hand for those pure groomer days.

That said, even good snow days have a mix of conditions, and I began to realize that I wasnt doing myself any favors with these stiff boards and no rocker... in powder, or in chunder, let alone just plain beat up runs. Enter the Frontier 161w that now serves as my good snow day board. I cant ever see myself riding a full rocker board. It needs some sort of flat or camber in the profile for sure.

I definitely notice and like the softer flex in deeper snow and tight spots allowing it to turn easier with less hang ups. I've even heard that many Pro's prefer a softer flexing board in powder.

But I definitely notice the softer flex when bombing / straight lining too, and miss my other stiffer boards when the speeds go up, especially on harder snow.

It's a great cruiser, very user friendly, and solid enough, but I would never try to Chinese Downhill my friends on it.

Reactions: oeste858

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Ski boots are the worst. I have some friends I ski with who are very advanced skiers that make everything look easy and effortless. But every one of them will revert to baby mode when they're out there with new boots for the first day.
@Hardeaux can confirm

• Haha

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Yeah, ski boots can be a challenge
My buddy and his wife are both amazing skiers and it’s what they do alot

shes having trouble with boots fitting and theyve literally never had such a tough time in their 25 years of marriage

• Haha
Reactions: $kully and Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Bought a brand new pair last weekend at Stratton. The last pair finally fell apart after 13 years, some of which had a lot of riding days.

Burton “Kendo”. Their last model with real lace up outer shell, which I still prefer. Good looking boot.

Fit perfectly and rode for hours and hours all weekend with nary a blister or toe jam

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Bought a brand new pair last weekend at Stratton. The last pair finally fell apart after 13 years, some of which had a lot of riding days.

Burton “Kendo”. Their last model with real lace up outer shell, which I still prefer. Good looking boot.

Fit perfectly and rode for hours and hours all weekend with nary a blister or toe jam
Do you ever go to the Burton store at their headquarters? I hear you can score serious deals there sometimes.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I got new burton photons last year and from day 1 they’ve felt like wearing slippers
love them!
I ride Burton ions with boa. I always use third party footbeds. But snowboard boot break-in is a dream compared to ski boots.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I opted not to go with the boas this time and I’m very glad I did
i had boas the last 2 or 3 pairs of boots and spend a lot of brain energy thinking about how tight or loose they were
thes speed laces or whatever they are, are super simple. Pull them tight in the morning, clip them in and don’t think about them til end of day

i love them

Reactions: npsp

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Yeah, ski boots can be a challenge
My buddy and his wife are both amazing skiers and it’s what they do alot

shes having trouble with boots fitting and theyve literally never had such a tough time in their 25 years of marriage
Did she get them at a real shop with good, experienced boot fitters near the slopes where she can come in and get them worked on? If so, she could expect to go back several times for adjustments, most decent shops will adjust your boots for free the first season. Once you get your boots dialed in they become your best friends.

I learned through experience that saving money on ski boots by buying them at a Sport Chalet or wherever is the worst decision anybody can make.