*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I tried Smith and Pret helmets but Giro fits my oblong head better. Prets look cool and Smith is tried and true. As long as you have MIPS you're generally good to go. I'm amazed at how many people still don't wear helmets, especially snowboarding where catching an edge has a high probability of slamming your cabesa.
Personally I’ve done well with POC and I like their build quality and comfort. But at the end of the day fit is paramount. A basic well fitting helmet will protect you better than an ill-fitting helmet with all the bells and whistles. Two things I never buy online or without trying them on are boots and helmets.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Mammoth is expecting another 2-3’ in town and 3-4’ on the mountain Wednesday. There is definitely such a thing as too much of a good thing.

• Wow
Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I tried Smith and Pret helmets but Giro fits my oblong head better. Prets look cool and Smith is tried and true. As long as you have MIPS you're generally good to go. I'm amazed at how many people still don't wear helmets, especially snowboarding where catching an edge has a high probability of slamming your cabesa.
Yeah, I didn’t grow up wearing one but I started wearing it when I was in NY and pretty much only going to VT: that area is icy as hell. I slammed on the back of my head and cracked one helmet and got the worst concussion I’ve ever had. I upgraded to a MIPS and cracked that the next season. That was 10 yrs ago and needless to say, I’m a much more conservative rider now! LOL

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
my wife caught her heel edge at Stowe, going pretty fast on a sort of traverse style trail, bounced the back of her (helmeted) head off the hard pack. I was right behind her and i still cringe when i picture how hard and violent the bounce and whiplash was. THat was at least 6, maybe even 8 years ago now

She is STILL dealing with the neck injury all these years later. tore a muscle that just doesn't want to heal right. Her head was fine, but the "bounce" tore some muscle in her neck, near the top of the collarbone

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Sounds good on the Grio Jackson helmet, should be here any day now. I have the Contour googles too. Keeping your helmet and goggle kit the same is a recommendation I go by. Nothing worse than a "Gapper Gap" between the 2. But many are interchangeable.

Most of my homies I ride with actually don't wear helmets being from the 90s old school. Never wore one when I was hucking the hardest, but no one really did. I've never really hit my head either. I've worn one for quite some time now. I'm more worried about someone else hitting me. That and I ride tree lines quite a bit.

Warming trend this week with sun making a rare appearance for a handful of days. Goin sarfin......

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
my wife caught her heel edge at Stowe, going pretty fast on a sort of traverse style trail, bounced the back of her (helmeted) head off the hard pack. I was right behind her and i still cringe when i picture how hard and violent the bounce and whiplash was. THat was at least 6, maybe even 8 years ago now

She is STILL dealing with the neck injury all these years later. tore a muscle that just doesn't want to heal right. Her head was fine, but the "bounce" tore some muscle in her neck, near the top of the collarbone
@Subway wifey needs to report to @Sharky for neck training

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
late week will be all time, by Vermont standards. weather will be kind of all over the place, but not too cold and not too warm. Thursday looks dry and windy..Friday a little warmer and maybe some mixed precipitation

• Love
Reactions: Random Guy

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
So jealous
if I hadn’t taken so much time off recently with more time off planned, I’d be crashing this trip of yours

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
They’ve dropped the wind forecasted for Thursday. Sunny and mild. Friday starts off with a light snowfall which may turn to rain in the afternoon

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Utah is expecting 1’+ tonight. A mix in town, snow about 250ft up. Picked a good year to be here a few times.

28”+ in s Vermont, mt snow area per my pops and uncle. They left winter park co for it. Stocked.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
After being skunked twice already(bailed out in Jan. due to storms, bailed out in Feb. due to our travel partners having COVID), we are all good to try again next week(Mar. 23-26) for a trip to Mammoth. We have an awesome ski in/out condo right between Canyon and Eagle. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: npsp and Subway

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
They’ve dropped the wind forecasted for Thursday. Sunny and mild. Friday starts off with a light snowfall which may turn to rain in the afternoon
Hit magic if you can,some of the best natural snow terrain in VT that is almost never open.