*** Official Shiseido Tahiti Pro (presented by Outerknown) Contest Thread ***

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Which shows just how stupid this system is. Everyone knows he will not be competing if he has broken his back. And if he keeps his #3 final spot, he keeps one competitor out which makes the stupid final an even lesser event. If he keeps his spot and does not show... Everyone loses one way or another, but rules are rules.
see, it's all about competition

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Which shows just how stupid this system is. Everyone knows he will not be competing if he has broken his back. And if he keeps his #3 final spot, he keeps one competitor out which makes the stupid final an even lesser event. If he keeps his spot and does not show... Everyone loses one way or another, but rules are rules.
The end results after Finals Day is how they are seeded for next year. It would be unfair of the WSL to give his spot to Gabby for that would start EE at 6th place beginning of next year instead of being seeded 4th.

Disclaimer: not a fan of this system

Reactions: Havoc and mundus

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
The end results after Finals Day is how they are seeded for next year. It would be unfair of the WSL to give his spot to Gabby for that would start EE at 6th place beginning of next year instead of being seeded 4th.

Disclaimer: not a fan of this system
Surfers get injured throughout the year and lose their seeds. Why should the finals day be any different? I can't wrap my head around this sh!t. Good for Toledo I guess, he's gonna get like 12 trophies if they keep this up.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
When they first started "finals day" I heard the original design was for the location to rotate and not be a fixture at Lowers forever.

As I understand it, they signed a 3 year contract with state parks for a permit at lowers. This year will be the 3rd year. Not sure if they will renew that contract or move somewhere else. Hopefully they move somewhere else.

Dave Prodan claims the surfers voted on Lowers because it was a neutral high performance location that had both rights and lefts. Maybe they will feel differently about the neutrality if Flippy wins 2 out of 3 there.

Reactions: Havoc

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Griffin on his best day doesn't beat a healthy Flippy at Lowers. I like Griffin. Flippy is just on another level.
The best surfer doesn’t always win the heat. The best surfer in the heat doesn’t always win the heat. Lots of examples of that this year. I’ve complained about it on here and I know I’m not the only erbber. Probably will still watch hoping Carissa gets her 6th title.

Reactions: sponge and jkb