********Official QS Barbados Thread*******

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I like Barbados. I was there in 1984. Two of us in our early 20's were on Navy shore patrol duty in our dress whites with SP armbands, nightsticks, hancuffs and a whistle too I think. There was a fairly quiet road with a row of hotels where a lot of our sailors were. We were walking up in the quiet end of the road around 9:30 or so at night, it was dark out. Two older black Barbadian women were sitting at a folding table off to the side of a smaller hotel. They called us over. One of them owned the hotel and asked if we had ever had flying fish - we answered no and she insisted on making some for us so we sat at the card table and spoke to her friend and after a while she brought us some flying fish and rice. It was very good!

She was very grateful to America for its help with the conflict in Greneda a year or so before which was only about 90 miles from her. She had been very afraid of what had been going on in Greneda for a while. She wanted to say thank you. It was one of those nice little surprises in life.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I get that Barbados consistently has ridable surf and that occasionally this spot gets epic but this contest seems to be plagued by garbage surf. There are a lot of points on the line for this stop and it should be held in something other than wind chop. Move it to the Puerto Rico venue where the ISA just had success perhaps.

Reactions: StuAzole

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Best Island in Carib IMHO
I've never been there. Many of my friends have been to Barbados and they do seem to really like it. That wasn't the point of my post.

My comments are for it being the contest venue for a QS 5000. For example the Pismo QS is a 3000 and the Morro Bay and Santa Cruz events are both QS1000 events and all of those events get better surf for showcasing the talent of the surfers in the field. When an event carries 5000 points it should feature better potential surf and shouldn't be a venue that heavily favors either regular foot or goofy foot surfers.