Official get people back to the office thread.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That’s where we are and I think even our ceo has accepted that office attendance will be voluntary until 20-forever

• Dislike
Reactions: drainer

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Cant wait to go back to A office. Dont know if it'll be my old office but my old boss contacted me last week to say she's working on getting me back in.

In the meantime, I'm freelancing for an agency from home - and I fricken hate it!

My workspace is in my living room, and when I get off work I dont want to hang out in my living room any more.

On top of that there is inherit downtime with my job, magnified because everyones at home and doing sh!t by email. Today for example I got some revisions to a piece I worked on at 2pm.Didnt hear sh!t from anyone till then. Supposed to be start work at 9:30 so I was basically on call half the day and tethered to within 5 minutes of my place in case someone's calls. Could of done a million other things with that time.

On top of that Ive never even met these people before which makes it harder to swallow the rediculous hoops they make me jump through and because I dont know them, I dont know how much I can assert myself before they feel threatened.

Im so ready!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: drainer

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Friend works for huge global company. His team normally flies all over the place. They are done traveling except for really critical deals.

And they just built really nice offices for about 500+ employees (higher ups). He said 90% of them will work from home permanently now, and the rest will only come in 1x per week and for critical meetings. They are currently trying to figure out what to do with all their empty office space.

Said it's a really weird feeling going into work 1x a week, and only himself, his boss, and the head boss are working on their entire floor. He said it feels like end of the world movie type of thing.

This pandemic has likely changed the way business is done, forever.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Cant wait to go back to A office. Dont know if it'll be my old office but my old boss contacted me last week to say she's working on getting me back in.

In the meantime, I'm freelancing for an agency from home - and I fricken hate it!

My workspace is in my living room, and when I get off work I dont want to hang out in my living room any more.

On top of that there is inherit downtime with my job, magnified because everyones at home and doing sh!t by email. Today for example I got some revisions to a piece I worked on at 2pm.Didnt hear sh!t from anyone till then. Supposed to be start work at 9:30 so I was basically on call half the day and tethered to within 5 minutes of my place in case someone's calls. Could of done a million other things with that time.

On top of that Ive never even met these people before which makes it harder to swallow the rediculous hoops they make me jump through and because I dont know them, I dont know how much I can assert myself before they feel threatened.

Im so ready!
Deep cleansing breath and oooommmmmmmmm....

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Friend works for huge global company. His team normally flies all over the place. They are done traveling except for really critical deals.

And they just built really nice offices for about 500+ employees (higher ups). He said 90% of them will work from home permanently now, and the rest will only come in 1x per week and for critical meetings. They are currently trying to figure out what to do with all their empty office space.

Said it's a really weird feeling going into work 1x a week, and only himself, his boss, and the head boss are working on their entire floor. He said it feels like end of the world movie type of thing.

This pandemic has likely changed the way business is done, forever.
Unless someone is an extrovert, or has difficulty with self motivation, they will grow to love this.

First step is setting up your workspace. Right colors , furniture and view is different for everyone. Window open or closed, breeze or no breeze, bright or dimmed lighting. Yea, I'd hate the kitchen table, so I don't work there. It has to be set up so you feel like it's a place that says, "let's get to work"

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
We never shut down and never slowed down.

At first I was pissed until I realized how lucky we were to be considered essential.

No one in the office has ever warn a mask from the get go. About 40 people in the buildings but pretty well spread out.

It's been business as usual so we haven't even felt it like the rest.

I was hoping for the forced stay at home vacay but now I'm glad I'm working still. :shaka:

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
We never shut down and never slowed down.

At first I was pissed until I realized how lucky we were to be considered essential.

No one in the office has ever warn a mask from the get go. About 40 people in the buildings but pretty well spread out.

It's been business as usual so we haven't even felt it like the rest.

I was hoping for the forced stay at home vacay but now I'm glad I'm working still. :shaka:

It's healthy to be able to separate home from work.

Reactions: keenfish and Havoc

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah the white collar commuter class in NY got really shell shocked, along with some other dense urban and of course nursing home environments. Lot of changes may be mostly permanent as a result

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Not going back ever. Was told to clear out the office and telecommute permanently. May need to go in for occassional meetings in the future, but 100% telecommute for now.

• Dislike
Reactions: gbg and drainer

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
somebody or more likely a group of somebodies in the bay area put in place a mandate pre-pandemic that large employers (over 25 employees) keep 60% of their employees in permanent work from home status.

basically forcing work from home as a strategy to reduce greenhouse gases and traffic congestion.

the oh sh!t moment will be when mass transit and road infrastructure collapse due to lack of ridership and gas tax revenue funding.

oops

• Sad
Reactions: the janitor

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
somebody or more likely a group of somebodies in the bay area put in place a mandate pre-pandemic that large employers (over 25 employees) keep 60% of their employees in permanent work from home status.

basically forcing work from home as a strategy to reduce greenhouse gases and traffic congestion.

the oh sh!t moment will be when mass transit and road infrastructure collapse due to lack of ridership and gas tax revenue funding.

oops
Another big oops is when commercial real estate collapses because no one is going in to the office anymore.

Everyone who was happy they weren't going into the office will be wishing they had stayed going into the office.

OOPS!

Reactions: Havoc and keenfish

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Another big oops is when commercial real estate collapses because no one is going in to the office anymore.

Everyone who was happy they weren't going into the office will be wishing they had stayed going into the office.

OOPS!
likewise rents and home sales in urban markets as people say eff it. i can live and surf anywhere i have an internet connection. why live in a crime ridden shithole when i can take my show on the road?

actually thats already happening. friend is a realtor of coastal residential property has been killing it in the $1.4m and up sector selling coast properties to relocating work from home techtards

Reactions: bluengreen

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I've been splitting time going to an empty warehouse size office and working from home this whole time. My work environment has changed zero except # of people at the office.
And yeah, explains crowds. I took a nice pay haircut + work more hours. Out of work peeps on unemployment are living the dream until it dries up. No thanks.

Reactions: Havoc

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
I've been busier than ever. I know others have been less fortunate. I hope we figure this out and get everyone back to work soon, especially those under employed surfers clogging the line up.

Reactions: Havoc