*** Official Challenger Series Discussion ***

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
QUOTE="ElOgro, post: 3799101, member: 31306"]
That’s good to hear. Unfortunately he’ll never make it, nice guys don’t make the cut.
Jackson may have the struggle Hawaii pros go thru. Surfing small gutless waves to qualify especially since no Hawaii CS events. But when the waves pump…..

[/QUOTE]
100% agree.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
QUOTE="ElOgro, post: 3799101, member: 31306"]
That’s good to hear. Unfortunately he’ll never make it, nice guys don’t make the cut.
Jackson may have the struggle Hawaii pros go thru. Surfing small gutless waves to qualify especially since no Hawaii CS events. But when the waves pump…..

[/QUOTE]
Shion is another Hawaiian to watch. Well proven in SoCal slop.

Reactions: teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu

[/QUOTE]

Shared the lineup with Shion a couple times. He came out to Bowls for the QS last summer. Bigger duu, throws buckets. Nice guy too. Batz was coaching him and he paddled up and shook hands with the older crew and sat inside. I root for him too.

The younger Hawaii women are gonna be a presence within a couple years.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Shared the lineup with Shion a couple times. He came out to Bowls for the QS last summer. Bigger duu, throws buckets. Nice guy too. Batz was coaching him and he paddled up and shook hands with the older crew and sat inside. I root for him too.

The younger Hawaii women are gonna be a presence within a couple years.
[/QUOTE]
Not seeing that unless Texan Canadian Erin Brooks is Hawaiian too lol.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
See, we’re watching even without Kelly!
You ain't buying coffee and food in Coolangatta, and spending money on accommodation and theme parks.

Thats where the money is in these comps- tourist spend.

You seem like a smart guy- is it that hard to understand?

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Erin Brooks lives in Hawaii more than part time.

There’s girls that have just starting competing on the QS and there are AMs that aren’t surfing pro events that you’ll hear about in a few.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
You ain't buying coffee and food in Coolangatta, and spending money on accommodation and theme parks.

Thats where the money is in these comps- tourist spend.

You seem like a smart guy- is it that hard to understand?
Hate to break it to you but nobody was driving to Snapper to watch Kelly in Heat 12 of Round 2 on a Wednesday. In fact, it wasn’t really even announced that he was skipping so one would assume all his fans were there? At least 10 or so.

And no, it’s a general marketing tool - see how cool Queensland is folks, you should come visit one day - not a tool designed to drive visitors on the week of the event. The latter makes no sense considering most of the viewers are outside Australia.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Hate to break it to you but nobody was driving to Snapper to watch Kelly in Heat 12 of Round 2 on a Wednesday.
Mate, you couldn't be more wrong.

Like screamingly, badly, muddle-headedly, the earth is flat wrong.

I watched a full house stand in the pouring rain last year to see in person Kelly surf an expression session on a twin fin, with absolutely zero on the line.

People down tools to show up for the GOAT.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Pumping down here.

I was just surfing with Dan Thomson (Tomo) and he reckons the worst mens Pro surfing he has ever seen.

I tend to agree with him.

Dan was absolutely shredding btw, on a brand new twin fin design made in PU/PE

really radical bottom contours.

Last edited:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Mate, you couldn't be more wrong.

Like screamingly, badly, muddle-headedly, the earth is flat wrong.

I watched a full house stand in the pouring rain last year to see in person Kelly surf an expression session on a twin fin, with absolutely zero on the line.

People down tools to show up for the GOAT.
Who went yesterday?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
fcuknig no-one.

Can you not see there were about 50 people on the beach watching?

Do you want me to put up the heat analyser from last year when, at 2pm on a rainy Tuesday the beach was packed with people who came down to watch Kelly lose in the opening round?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
fcuknig no-one.

Can you not see there were about 50 people on the beach watching?

Do you want me to put up the heat analyser from last year when, at 2pm on a rainy Tuesday the beach was packed with people who came down to watch Kelly lose in the opening round?
yes