***Official Central Coast tourist madness thread***

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
The fires Leaverite referenced are even worse on the North Coast. Fort Ross is ablaze and Highway 1 is closed through northern Sonoma County. You can probably get up 101 and cut over on 128 if the Cloverdale fire isn't blocking that, but you're not going up north of Jenner.

PS. Point Arena is south of Mendocino (town)/Ft. Bragg/Noyo.
Thanks for the 411!
Trip cancelled. $hit!, this is the second trip we've cancelled for the end of August. Had to cancel 10 days in Alaska because the Covid testing results timing is too sketchy, don't want to sit in the condo for days waiting for results. This trip was supposed to replace the AK trip.
Back to the drawing board.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Stayed at Hume Lake Campground. Huge sites, spread out, tons for kids to explore.

If you're talking about Kings River, there were pockets where you could relax and hang out in the water but it was flowing hard in most other areas. Fair amount of people fishing.
There are some great swimming holes and jump spots in that little area at the end of the road.

SLO County beaches are more crowded than they have ever been by at least 3-4x. But so is everywhere nice, it seems. Covid has changed things, big time.

Just got back from a week on Lake Powell. Not crowded.

Reactions: Kento

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
You guys sound ridiculous. You shoulda seen Newport this weekend. All of Riverside and San Bernardino County came to visit. In fact, they've been here all summer. And every summer previous.
The normal 7-10 minute drive to drop my boy on the peninsula at junior lifeguards took 30-35 minutes regularly this year.
It could be worse. You guys could be living in Bakersfield.
It could be worse as in us in Santa Cruz County not having Junior Gaurds. My 11 year old missed guards and little league. His transformation to gamer is complete. Fuck.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
It could be worse as in us in Santa Cruz County not having Junior Gaurds. My 11 year old missed guards and little league. His transformation to gamer is complete. fook.
Bummer. Last second, JG's was a go here, with some distance requirmentents and smaller groups. My kids were stocked as they are both instructors.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Fort Bragg was one of my favorite places. It looks like it’s been hipstered since the last time I’ve been

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Jammed up here in Oregon as well. From the mountains to the coast.... anywhere outdoors. sh!t even 5 miles in wilderness area with a backpack from my experience recently :confused: Seen the usual WA and a lot of CA plates but also ID, MT, CO, TX, NJ, NY, FLA. Also what appears to be a fuck ton of new and rented RVs and pull campers. Wondering if it'll start chill next month.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Awesome, man. I grew up waterskiing and I was really young but I still remember a ton. Amazing place for sure.

Any good thunderstorms?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
houseboating powell and mojave is the best!

I'm working on pulling together that trip with my boys and the uncles for christmas/thanksgiving

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Dang. Thanks.

Just trying to find some fresh(er) air for the kids over the weekend.
Slo has been worse than the areas to the south, significantly. Beaches are 70s and not too ashy. Getting better by the day.

Reactions: jkb

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Heard SLO has just about the worst air in the whole US right now, without a fire that is.... in Santa Cruz they are asking the tourists to split so evacuees could use the hotels. Maybe the smokiness in SLO will get the tourists to split from there too
;)

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Heard SLO has just about the worst air in the whole US right now, without a fire that is.... in Santa Cruz they are asking the tourists to split so evacuees could use the hotels. Maybe the smokiness in SLO will get the tourists to split from there too
;)
Something about the wind. It's been weird. Don't think anything short of the town breaking off at the hills and falling into the ocean will stop the tourists though.
I've had people sitting outside, in 95 degrees, smoke, raining bugs (aphids in the cover trees decided to breed yesterday by the fvcking thousands) eating bolognese sauce 2000 calories at a time.
Shouldn't complain about having a business that calls to people so strongly...but i am. Constantly. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink