***Official Car Talk Thread***

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Changed the oil in the Golf this weekend past. 5W30 Mobil 1. Next weekend, get to take the used stuff the hazardous drop off site. Am a fan of the oil sucker...maybe took 10 minutes to change.

View attachment 167712
I use one of these on my outboards, it saves a ton of mess. For wifey's Subaru I still get under the car, and my truck is high enough that I can crawl down there with a cup of coffee and relax while changing the oil. I also used the extractor for draining transmission fluid on the F250 since it doesn't have a drain plug. Worked great, kept me from taking an ATF bath.

Reactions: Mr Doof and PRCD

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
I asked my wife to get some gas for our Whaler this a.m.. She drove her Model 3 and said she got funny looks when she pulled up to the pump. Then she popped her frunk, got the gas can out, and people realized it. The only time I go to the gas station now is when we're on a trip w/ the truck or we're taking the boat out. It's nice being able to "fill up" at home.

I love my electric Mini Cooper, but for my next commuter car I want a Cayman S. If I win the lotto, I would get the electric version when it comes out.

My buddy has a 2010 Cayman S which he lets me drive now and then.

Really neat little car with a variety of options to choose depending on what you wish to do with it.

Top speed listed at 171 MPH, but he gets edgy when I go over 120, so I keep it under that.

Nice to drive.

Can't find a pic of it but I have some somewhere.

Take care.

Found one of me and Peter's Porsche at Roberts Lake, about 20 miles north of Campbell River.
Doesn't take long to get there. LOL

PorscheMe.JPG

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
GM's not making cars anymore - only trucks, SUVs, and crossovers. At least that's what the GM tech said.
That’s what Ford says, but they kept the Mustang. I guess Chevy still has the Corvette. I wonder if there’s a market for an inexpensive, relatively speaking, sports car? Could be a (sales) winner like the small pick up (Ford Maverick).

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
That’s what Ford says, but they kept the Mustang. I guess Chevy still has the Corvette. I wonder if there’s a market for an inexpensive, relatively speaking, sports car? Could be a (sales) winner like the small pick up (Ford Maverick).
From what I can found out talking to this technician who taught my transmission class and from people who've worked there, GM is a bad place to work. In the technicians' case, GM will call them from Michigan to get their justification for parts used and repairs done, all of which is unpaid labor. This is to prevent them from stealing, but it also steals from the techs because they do not get paid to talk to Michigan. Worse, GM and the other Detroit auto makers' seem disinterested in quality mechanical design, thus the transmission and other drivetrain components need a lot of service but were designed for mfg rather than service. This has caused many techs, including the one I'm talking about, to leave GM or the industry altogether. What does this have to do with the Camaro? Apparently, GM is no better for the other employees either. GM has been in a fight with its employees which seems to have worsened under Mary Barra's tenure as CEO (largely the same story as so many other once-great companies under girlbosses) and GM's solution appears to be shutting down entire production lines and factories, as if the Rust Belt didn't have enough rust.

Anyways, you can always get the true story from the techs.

Last edited:

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Fascinating clip on Leno/youtube and the Cybertruck. I have to rethink my dislike of the truck after watching the clip…

• Dislike
Reactions: Chocki

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Good idea for a thread. I guess I’ve always been a closet gearhead who’s never had the chance to fuck with much beyond basic maintenance. I really wanted to do the recent work on my truck myself, my old man was tv repairman so I’ve got an ultimate set of tools but it was just too big a job.

But I can’t stop thinking how much I love turning wrenches along with how rad it would be to have something still driveable for when the satellites crash and it’s Mad Max time and since I can do electrical along with hydraulics and could def use learning/knowing how to weld there’s a very solid chance my future holds building one of these
View attachment 155100

The prices on old/cool everything else are through the roof ala og broncos but Baja bugs/dune buggies aren’t there yet and I bet I could build a wicked one. Subaru engine and locking rear differential?
Nyah. Its built a certain way complete. Fuck around and fuggit up. Air cooled engine with ducts. Easy removal for service. Now your talking about addingvwater? Radiators and cooling fans and hoses. Where ya gonna put that sh!t. Wheres the water coming from? Why???

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
My new input:
IMG_2882.jpg
Sports cars in snow are super fun.
The new Tacoma in short cab, long bed, hybrid engine is gonna be a good truck.
The Nissan Leaf has some battery cost compromises that make it not have enough range for a lot of Mainlanders, and then the range gets worse quick. They're an excellent used buy for a warm island.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Anybody buy cheap off brand gasoline? Any difference? There's a station near me that's 20-30 cheaper than the name brands, but I'm always skeptical. Maybe they're fine?

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Direct injection = top tier imo

Yeah - Top Tier gas is a thing. Co-ordinated with the car makers. These days I won't buy anything else.

Also there are problems sometimes with direct injection where the lack of fuel in the intake tract is allowing deposits to build. The PCV system that sucks crankcase oil vapor into the intake tract is leaving deposits. Some people have put catch cans in the PCV hose to catch the oil before it gets into the intake.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yeah - Top Tier gas is a thing. Co-ordinated with the car makers. These days I won't buy anything else.

Also there are problems sometimes with direct injection where the lack of fuel in the intake tract is allowing deposits to build. The PCV system that sucks crankcase oil vapor into the intake tract is leaving deposits. Some people have put catch cans in the PCV hose to catch the oil before it gets into the intake.
Which are the top tier?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
View attachment 168915S A few Baby Jokers in my hood have similar to this ( not this) 80’s Subarus that only come out on snow days. You hear them roaring around the neighborhoods in peril
Reminds me of some VW Golf concept from the late 80s/early 90s.

Anybody buy cheap off brand gasoline? Any difference? There's a station near me that's 20-30 cheaper than the name brands, but I'm always skeptical. Maybe they're fine?
Pretty much all gasoline in these fine United States is chemically the same, well, say for about the first 95% of it...and no, I am not including gasoline you can buy at marinas or airports or racetracks. The main difference is the additive package, which can be a propriety mix of additional compounds to help keep the engine working as intended. Depending on what marketing you believe, Brand X is better than Brand Y.

This is especially true in California with CARB's mandated gasoline requirements (the rest of the USA has EPA/manufacture's standards to meet).

How Costco sells their gas for less is this:

1. Buy bulk/contract driven/cheapest spot market non-additive fuel from refinery A, B, and/or C's loading rack.
2. Buy their own additive package from specialty chemical firm and/or refinery A, B, and/or C.
3. Deliver both to their stores USTs.
4. Final product mixed at the dispenser and they call it Top Tier gasoline.

With turbos recirculating combustion/blow-by gases, there is an argument to be made that engine oil is of "more" concern than gasoline composition (don't forget to follow recommended maintenance schedules).

But cheap and crappy gasoline is a thing and if your vehicle performs noticeably wonky when using it, and using auto store "gasoline enhancing" chemicals makes the car run noticeably better, well, do the math which makes more financial (and time/effort) sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki