****Official Board Bag Fees Thread*****

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Indo trips:
Singapore airline
No charge for 6 of us with coffins
1 guy paid $75 which is the first time any of us have ever had to pay. He was over the weight allowance

Second leg of trip: Air asia
3 of us charged even though we all paid for the extra allowance. I paid $50 , the next guy $75 and the last $150.
Everyone helped by the other gate agent... not charged,including the guy who was charged by singapore air.

One the way back same scenario with Air asia. I didnt get charged second time but 3 of us got destroyed by extra baggage charges. No charges on Singapore coming home for anyone.

Its always the little airlines that get you.
Curious about board fees flying through Europe. Say from England to Portugal

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Indo trips:
Singapore airline
No charge for 6 of us with coffins
1 guy paid $75 which is the first time any of us have ever had to pay. He was over the weight allowance

Second leg of trip: Air asia
3 of us charged even though we all paid for the extra allowance. I paid $50 , the next guy $75 and the last $150.
Everyone helped by the other gate agent... not charged,including the guy who was charged by singapore air.

One the way back same scenario with Air asia. I didnt get charged second time but 3 of us got destroyed by extra baggage charges. No charges on Singapore coming home for anyone.

Its always the little airlines that get you.
Curious about board fees flying through Europe. Say from England to Portugal
Just booked my flight - Singapore was pricey but no board fees. Garuda for the connectors, no board fees either. The budget airlines like China Air, etc woulda been more $ once you factored in all the boards. Ill let ya'll know if it changes at the airport.

Gonna need at least a couple Xannys for this one.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Am I right that United from California to Nica and back is no bag fees, and same for Alaska from Calif. to Liberia, CR, (2 board max)? That's pretty sweet!

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Two weeks ago. Spirit Airlines Philadelphia to San Juan. 7-foot coffin with four boards inside. In Philadelphia they dinged me for $200. In San Juan I snuck through for $100 and when I passed the board bag off the guy questioned why the board bag was so thick. I told him it was packing material and started to unzip it strategically to show him all the bubblewrap and cardboard inside and he let me go. No board damage. Paid $350 total round trip for our airline tickets and another $300 in boardbag fees.

Reactions: CutnSnip

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Just booked my flight - Singapore was pricey but no board fees. Garuda for the connectors, no board fees either. The budget airlines like China Air, etc woulda been more $ once you factored in all the boards. Ill let ya'll know if it changes at the airport.

Gonna need at least a couple Xannys for this one.
Regarding Garuda if you are over 50lbs, do they just charge you vs. stealing one of your boards? I'm heading to Indo in May on Qatar, so not worried about fees with them, but then Garuda and getting ≤ 50lbs is looking to be difficult; if over 50lbs just pay?

And just saw this on CI site, does this go in Cargo, my God 8 boards, would love it but 'overlimit' :D

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
So far so good

Today
United
OC to MGA
3 boards and gear. 40lbs
$0
Only asked if there was anything besides surf gear in the bag.

Fingers crossed no damage and they make it the whole way. And that the return is the same.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Regarding Garuda if you are over 50lbs, do they just charge you vs. stealing one of your boards? I'm heading to Indo in May on Qatar, so not worried about fees with them, but then Garuda and getting ≤ 50lbs is looking to be difficult; if over 50lbs just pay?

And just saw this on CI site, does this go in Cargo, my God 8 boards, would love it but 'overlimit' :D

not sure, never been over, my coffin and boards comes in around 40 something pounds but i imagine you just pay extra.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I just learned that on Garuda it is ~$2.75 per kg over their limit, which I am told is 20kg, but thought is was 23kg; anyhow $2.75 per kg is not a lot.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
citilink indo buy sports pass and boards free if boardbag under 20 k

Jun 4, 2019
American is making a policy change: for travel on / after April 17, 2024, the maximum linear size (length + width + height) is 115 in / 292 cm [was 126 in]. No change in fees.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
So far so good

Today
United
OC to MGA
3 boards and gear. 40lbs
$0
Only asked if there was anything besides surf gear in the bag.

Fingers crossed no damage and they make it the whole way. And that the return is the same.
Just an update, United was great for me (in California). No fees, no damage, no questions asked. Easy breezy leaving California and coming back. Stoked on that.