*** Official Billabong Pro Pipeline 2022 Thread ***

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Overall, I'd say it was a pretty great event. Seth vs Kelly was super rad. Super impressed by Seth's sportsmanship and composure. Stocked for him.
I loved how Slater was getting all emotional, and I also loved how he just paused his live on TV interview to kiss his girlfriend. Seems like he knows very well that he can do whatever he wants and no one is going to say sh!t.

Looks like the ladies got some bombs. I liked watching them surf there and I think next year they will all be much more ready. They have no choice now.
Bummed on Lakey's choke though. I think it's worth noting that she charged the other day, but also worth noting that she has choked in bigger surf multiple times (Pipe, Fiji, and New Zealand many years ago).

It's weird to have such high drama at the beginning of the season instead.
She's choked multiple times in MAui...

Reactions: Boneroni

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Lakey is used to surfing 4' Santa Barbara waves and it shows when she gets into the bigger stuff.

Google images, tough to find a pic of her on a wave over 4'.

Moana is impressive. Beating Carissa for the title is no small feat. More experienced WSL girls going to be bummed if Moana starts racking up the wins.
Moana would win every event on macking left barrels and lose straight away on most other venues... I don't know her rail game to be honest, but that's what I would expect.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Moana would win every event on macking left barrels and lose straight away on most other venues... I don't know her rail game to be honest, but that's what I would expect.
Moana's admission after winning the HIC Pipe Pro in December on a right barrel, "I never go Backdoor so that's why I was so excited I made it."

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
They said word on the beach was one of the ladies that rhymes with blight didn’t want to go out.
She did say in her post heat interview she was scared, or maybe they all were scared, except Moana of course. Which kind of surprises me a little that she was scared because I think there's video of her charging some south pacific reef, although it is pipe.

Reactions: Boneroni

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
She's took her beatings over the years.....today she gets hers....and doesn't need douchebags like Ross Williams out blocking for her to get them.
Absolutely agree. Yet "knowing" you somehow it seems like this is a jab at Tati meant to be a jab at me because I'm brazilian and she's "brazilian" like I give a single fuck.

because I really don't.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Absolutely agree. Yet "knowing" you somehow it seems like this is a jab at Tati meant to be a jab at me because I'm brazilian and she's "brazilian" like I give a single fook.

because I really don't.
Not at all. It was just your comment about her staring at uncrowded pipe...she's one of the few females that are out there every day pipe is on and has the respect of the pipe crew. I just wasn't sure you knew who she was. I thought Tatiana only started claiming Brazil for the olympics.

Reactions: brukuns

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Changing the subject a bit...
My photog friend Sean Davey told me his "spirit animal" for the contest was Caio Ibelli. Paraphrasing what he said:

Back in the 2019 Pipe Masters Medina purposely burned Ibelli to ensure a heat win. Fast forward to the Billabong Pipe Pro. Gabriel withdraws from the contest then the entire season due to personal reasons. Guess who replaced Gabriel? Caio Ibelli who fell off the tour! Better yet, Ibelli makes it all the way to the semis. Now he is equal 3rd in the WSL WCT 2022 rankings. Poetic justice.

Sean's spirit animal did well.

Jan 29, 2022
It was pretty much unwatchable on my Samsung tv. The ads kept freezing my int browser every 30 seconds.

the WSL app does even have the heats available to watch.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Changing the subject a bit...
My photog friend Sean Davey told me his "spirit animal" for the contest was Caio Ibelli. Paraphrasing what he said:

Back in the 2019 Pipe Masters Medina purposely burned Ibelli to ensure a heat win. Fast forward to the Billabong Pipe Pro. Gabriel withdraws from the contest then the entire season due to personal reasons. Guess who replaced Gabriel? Caio Ibelli who fell off the tour! Better yet, Ibelli makes it all the way to the semis. Now he is equal 3rd in the WSL WCT 2022 rankings. Poetic justice.

Sean's spirit animal did well.
I was LOVING this the entire contest. Caio seems like a good person.

What I hadn't heard until now is that Medina withdrew from the entire season?! HEAVY. Charlie must be apoplectic.