**** Official Bali Pro (Keramas) Thread ****

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Agreed, the field is half the size of the men's. The skill level is not even close as well. It's a nice gesture by the WSL but undeserved.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
there aint 1 woman who surfs as well as the worst male wildcard in any event

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Bonzer5Fin said:
Equal pay is a joke. I said it. Maybe Steph and Carissa, but the rest? No.

I said it when they implemented it and said it was a huge disservice, if not an insult, to the women...I was told that made me a misogynist.

And agree about Steph and Carissa. They 100% rip. Style and power.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
looked like most surfers were having problems fitting their boards into the pocket on day 1

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I do like this venue in terms of places I'd like to surf. Needs more size than what they had in round 1 for the men. I watched a contest from there a few years back where it was a few feet bigger and it was a top notch high performance wave.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
casa_mugrienta said:
Bonzer5Fin said:

I said it when they implemented it and said it was a huge disservice, if not an insult, to the women...I was told that made me a misogynist.

If the business (WSL) can afford to do equal pay, then do it. But more importantly, where is all this money coming from? Paying out the male and female winners of each even $100K each? Surely these contests aren't profitable.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
000 said:
there aint 1 woman who surfs as well as the worst male wildcard in any event
That should be irrelevant as far as equal pay is concerned. The fact that the men surf more heats is where it's at. equal pay is unfair to the men.

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
casa_mugrienta said:
Bonzer5Fin said:

I agree! They don't surf as many heats, why should they get paid the same amount? They are actually getting paid MORE per heat!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Racer1 said:
casa_mugrienta said:
Bonzer5Fin said:

If the business (WSL) can afford to do equal pay, then do it. But more importantly, where is all this money coming from? Paying out the male and female winners of each even $100K each? Surely these contests aren't profitable.

Competitive sports is 100% about money for the sponsors and investors. The athletes are their moneymakers. It is not a place for "equal pay" in fact the very concept is opposed to equal pay.

Which very likely is why Sophie Goldschmidt and Graham Stapleberg were in opposition to equal pay.

And apparently, according to emails, Ms. Goldschmidt was understandably not impressed by the women's performance at Peahi either.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Can we talk about Kanoa Igarishi's blonde hair?

It may seem like a silly, frivolous act, an act of vanity, but Asians and Asian-Americans have a history of being marginalized and ignored, so whatever the political statement is, maybe by having blond hair, it’s a very simple declaration: ‘Here I am. Pay attention to me. See me.’

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
eh its kinda trendy right now. Italo, Felipe, Kanoa, My weed dealer all rocking various bleached looks
the real tragedy would be swimming in that pool and only being allowed to drink corona

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm confused on the kid... Hawaiian name, Blonde hair, raised and benefitted from being in Orange County USA, used to claim USA nationality, claims Japanese nationality on WSL, has US citizenship, dates a Brazzo.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Racer1 said:
I'm confused on the kid... Hawaiian name, Blonde hair, raised and benefitted from being in Orange County USA, used to claim USA nationality, claims Japanese nationality on WSL, has US citizenship, dates a Brazzo.

:roflmao:

Maybe he has Russian parents, just to tie it all together.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It's interesting how many guys on tour copy each other when it comes to board sprays, crazy haircuts, hair color, ect.....

Flippy is always copying someone on all of the above. His small wave surfing is the only thing about him that is original.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Boneroni said:
Hey, I'd rather have original surfing over original hair any day :shrug:
Agreed.

It's just an observation I had.

I'm wondering if its a tactic of his to get in someones head though.

Someone does an orange spray on the bottom of their board and bleaches their hair blond. The next contest, Flippy shows up with the exact same airbrush and hair color.

I think it would throw me off a little.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i lost the = pay thread, but if theyre all equal, shouldnt every surfer get the exact same salary? oh and 1st place gets paid the same as last, since theyre all equal. lets do away with overall points, everyone is world champ.